“Not a good place to stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Desert Hills Motel

Desert Hills Motel
Ranked #224 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
“Not a good place to stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at what we called it "Desert Hell Motel" for 1 night when we were looking for a cheap room as part of our visit to the Life is Beautiful Festival in Downtown.

We were under the impression it was just under a mile to the El Cortez Hotel but even being a fast walker it took me 30 mins and it was slightly uphill.

The room was very basic and to be honest it was shocking but as soon as I put my head on the pillow then I noticed that we had a number of crickets in the room which was disgusting.

The road up to downtown is very dodgy and I wouldn't walk it unless I was in a group of people.

The lady on reception was very nice but we could have easily booked into a motel closer and of better quality for the price we paid for it.

I would NOT recommend this place and the 1 star is for the nice older lady on reception who tried her best.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Honestreviewer73

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
denial.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Let's get one thing straight, before I start in on the problems with this place- It's cheap, not so dirty (but not so clean, either) and there are no refunds. I've lived in far worse places, and slept in far sketchier. With that in mind, you can get a better place if you plan well and do the legwork in advance, and you can get it for just as little as this one costs. It's not worth staying here unless you're out of options, and even then; you can sleep in your car on any of the BLM property outside of the city. The view will be better when you wake up, but there's no plumbing.

Now for the bad stuff:
The room I stayed in smelled pretty bad, and the sheets were clean, but stained. I didn't bother using them, as I had packed for sleeping outdoors, and just brought my own bedding.
Since I wasn't really using the room for anything other than sleeping, It spent a fair amount of time vacant, with the door locked and the air conditioner running.... except the air conditioner was broken, so it just acted as a fan.
The tub, toilet and sink were all dirty in that unmaintained, rusty sort of way, and the floors slanted like the place had been built 100 years ago and been through some pretty hard decades. The room was dark, had a low celing and smelled like it had been smoked in for about 2 of my lifetimes.

The good stuff:
The one thing that I can say that is good about this place is that none of my stuff got stolen, and the few nights that I actually slept there, it was pretty quiet. It's also close enough to the strip, freemont and the highway that it's not so bad. The staff were generally friendly, or completely invisible (both of these things are good, in my opinion), and I had no trouble with the parking lot or any of the amenities.

Room Tip: There are no refunds if you don't like your room. Period.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Ihaveabackpack

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Getting right to the point...very sketchy with extremely RUDE evening management! Drug infested with rooms that smell like marijuana. Prostitutes frequenting the place at all hours. I would give it zero stars if possible.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank D F
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

I am the son from markusupnorth's post above. I agree with my dad. It was brutal. Within minutes of sitting on the bed I literally felt itchy. I cannot imagine the number of times that room has been rented out by the hour. The microwave in the room was disgusting and had a large crack in it, so it probably wasn't even safe to use. The bathroom was really dirty. I would not have showered in it. I was apprehensive about using the toilet. I have been in port-a-potties that were cleaner. The officer told my dad to stay clear of any of the hotels in that area. I'm glad we moved to the comfort inn, close to the airport, very clean, for not too much more money. Please do yourself a favour and steer clear of this place.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank marki2000
Port Severn ON.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

My son and I booked this room for Dec.30/12. He was flying out first thing in the morning. I spoke to the front desk person by telephone to reserve this room. She advised it was $69.00 payable by credit card and she mentioned that it was non-refundable. I asked her if the rooms were clean and she said "Yes, very clean, you will enjoy it here." I wish I had checked the reviews before booking. This is without a doubt the most disgusting motel I have ever seen. The photos on the website must have been taken 20 or 30 years ago, or at some other property. The room had an overpowering odor of a combination of urine, stale smoke, and some type of disinfectant. It was filthy and disgusting, so bad that we decided we could not possibly stay there. I went to the front desk person and requested a refund. She reminded me of the no refund policy and asked what the problem was. I told her that the room stunk and she offered to come over with some room freshener. We declined her offer, left and after discussions with my credit card company, I was reimbursed the $69.00. I spoke to a police officer in the area who advised the Desert Hills Motel and a lot of other motels in that area are rented primarily on a weekly basis to addicts and prostitutess. Apparently the going rate is $75.00 per week. I learned a valuable lesson here and can't imagine anyone other than management having anything good to say about this motel.

Room Tip: The police officer I spoke to warned us to stay out of this area.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Markusupnorth
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

I have stayed here numerous times and have enjoyed it again. There are other places i could stay but i keep coming back here. The people that work here are wonderful and very nice to get along with, the prices are compable to other places here in town , quiet, not a lot of tourist in and out of here . And i will be back.Just gonna say bye for now . Thanks Lisa,Mark,Ken,and of course Jessica.

Room Tip: have stayed in about every room there all great
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Don W
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Wow. Their website actually looks fine, and the room shown looks good. The website specifically focuses on the cleanliness of the property. TOTALLY FRAUDULENT! I still can't believe they had the audacity to post the photos and description they did on their website. I'm still in shock. The room was so old and filthy that we simply couldn't stay. I immediately turned in the key and was told that there were no refunds. A very bad ($60) joke.

Aside from the terrible room, this motel is one of a string along Fremont street. All appear similarly run down and nasty. You have various indigent people wandering along this street, and each motel has large signs prohibiting loitering and trespassing. Even this particular motel records all conversations at the check-in window (which is behind glass, by the way). Why? Need to try to deter drug deals and prostitution. Unless you're specifically seeking a drug deal, my advice is stay anywhere but in this strip of Fremont St. Yikes.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family