“Shadow Creek, classic vegas-like experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shadow Creek Golf Club

Shadow Creek Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Tom Fazio, this magnificent 18-hole championship course is characterized by sparkling creeks, towering waterfalls and lush gardens, all of which are framed by commanding mountains.
Chicago
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Shadow Creek, classic vegas-like experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Having played Shadow Creek and most of the other courses in LV, SC is by far the best course in town- both for the golf course and the experience. First, the course is beautiful and very challenging with it's water hazards, deep bunkering, very fast undulating greens, and rolling terrain where level lies are rare. It is not USGA rated, but from the 6500 yd tees, I would estimate it to be a 72.5/73.0 with a slope of 135-140. So plenty of course for the serious golfer.

The experience is like that of a very private and exclusive club. True, it can be crowded at times which is why I generally go on a weekday and stay away from big events in town. If you try to go during March Madness, or Super Bowl week, it's going to be crowded since it serves clients from at least 8 MGM hotels. But if you go at a non-crowded time( and you can call and ask them) you will be one of perhaps 10 groups on the entire course, especially if you tee off early in the morning - just your group and the caddie. The locker room will be empty, the attendents will be serving you and your needs only, your shoes will get cleaned right away, etc.

Yes it is pricey but it is very Vegas-like in that way. A woodlands-type course in the middle of the desert, totally manufactured complete with the man-made (but natural looking) water features and imported pheasants. But it is such a unique experience from the limo ride out, to the relaxed and quiet atmosphere, to the unique holes and great service. Should be done once by those who love golf- just choose the time so you get the maximum experience, when it is least busy.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank dw732

Bellevue, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent Course...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

The good…The course was absolutely amazing.

The bad…The head golf pro with family and friend pushed us and golf lessons in front of us caused delays. The course was unfortunately overcrowded and some of it was self-induced by employees. I think employees shouldn't be playing with friends/family or giving course lessons when you have people spending a lot of money on a busy weekend (Sun Nov 4th).

Wynn Country club wasn’t as nice but much better managed/run!

Pro’s: Course was amazing... just ensure it is not too crowded.

Cons: People brought Jambox’es for the carts, and had the music cranked up. Not very classy for such a top golf resort. Had to skip holes to overcome the 30 minute wait a hole.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank docuwize
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A must play course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

I live in Florida and to come out and play this beautiful course with mountains in the back ground and streams an lakes was great I would like to thank the MGM grand for having my friends and I out for the game

Gunnar

2 Thank Nikijo28
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“I can only speak highly of my experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Having read other reviews on Shadow Creek I felt I wanted to offer my thoughts having played the course on 7th May 2012. Friends had recommended the experience and we chose a hotel within the MGM Group (Bellagio) to ensure we got the 50% green fee discount. That said quality and service of this level does not come cheap but I genuinely felt it was value for money. My friend and I had a wonderful round, although we were given an arrival time we were immediately told we could eat first, practice or just relax, there was no tee time. Everyone at the facility was extremely helpful and attentive. Maybe because it was a Monday afternoon we got lucky but the course was not crowded at all, we maybe saw 3 other groups playing. Golf and golf course qualities are a matter of opinion. I have not had the pleasure and sadly am unlikely to ever play Augusta and my preference is for Links golf, but you cannot help but marvel at the maturity of this course given it's tender years and you do not see desert at any point. A number of the holes were pretty to look at whilst being challenging to play. Our caddie RJ made the experience all the more fulfilling with help picking out markers from the tee; to distances to the pin and finally lines on the treacherous putts. Do not get above the hole here it can been painful. I liked the phone boxes at 8 and 17 where you could order a half way drink or snack and at 17 where they rang the Limo to come and get us. That said we showered and enjoyed a post round beer on the veranda overlooking the 18th on a guaranteed sunny day. For us Brits that's a luxury well worth the trip. It ain't cheap but for me it will be a great golfing memory.

Visited May 2012
10 Thank Richard O
St. Louis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great course, but not worthy of rating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

Played this course on 5/16/2012 - the round was way too long (6+ hrs). It seems to be more of a country club atmosphere, with little oversight on moving the slow players along. Given there is a caddy with each group, this should be easier to accomplish - but it wasn't.

The course layout and condition were very nice. I would have to say it is probably the best in Vegas, but it is no where near worthy of its previous #31 World ranking by Golf Digest. Comparisons to Augusta or any other elite courses with rich history are beyond ridiculous. There is little to no history here, no tour events, no famous holes, etc. It is unique given how it is carved out of the desert and you feel like you could be in Florida or South Carolina playing. At times, I wish I were.

If they could alter the focus to be more on golf, and less on the ultra-Vegas experience like everything else, I think the course could be appreciated more. Also, with that kind of world ranking, you would think it wouldn't be difficult to get an event bigger than the MJ Charity event. I am fortunate that price isn't of concern to me, but if it were, I would pass this one up.

Visited May 2012