“Could break your bank!”

Palms Casino Resort
Ranked #70 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 2 December 2011

As much as the rooms are good and beds are comfortable be prepaid to pay, pay and pay. First off out a group of five of us staying there no two people had the same rate. Once we checked in we learned about all the other charges such as the “resort fee” that is $15 plus tax per day makes it $16.80. When I asked what it was for I was told it was free parking. All of Las Vegas has always had free parking, what a scam. We then were told that they would be pre authorizing and hold $100 per day for “incidentals”. (I wonder how much interest they earn on that.) Next came the $15 per day for internet usage and $25 per day should you wish to use the exercise facilities. They did provide some coupons for drinks in the bar but that was a joke. Depending on who was at the bar the drink prices changed. Some of our group got drink coupons worth $20 and others got drink coupons worth $15, and if you got a drink that was less than the coupon they kept the difference. Don’t plan on using the ATM’s they charge $4.99 per transaction, what a rip and should be a crime.
On check-out a couple in the group and charges for things that weren’t theirs and other at the counter were having the same problem. As a general rule staff attitude was poor. You would think in this economy finding the employees with a good attitude would be easy. As most of us know employee attitude is a reflection of management.
I spent the last 20 years living in Nevada with relatives working in major resort casinos, this is not the place. I have stayed at the best places in Vegas and this is not it. They will charge you for everything and there is nothing special here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Mirgons
Eden M, Guest Relations Manager at Palms Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2011

Dear Carson City Guest,

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at the Palms Resort Casino. We have received personal feedback from a member of your group about this situation as well and our Guest Relations Manger will be contacting the source of the feedback promptly. We apologize for any inconveniences that may have colored your stay with us, but hopefully we can come to an appropriate resolution that will allow us to invite you back to the property in the future. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope that you are having a wonderful holiday season!

Reviewed 1 December 2011

After many years visiting the Palms, working in the Palms, playing and eating in the Palms, I finally got the chance to STAY at the Palms! Having first visited the property shortly after it opened years ago, I have followed its progress and that of its innovative owner/operator, Mr. George Maloof. Before I begin the review, I have to say Mr. Maloof is absolutely one of the coolest guys in Vegas - and I even saw him working the front desk during my stay. Kudos for a power broker staying in touch with customers!

To book my stay, I found a great rate online, and reserved directly on the Palms' website - no external or partner sites. The only drawback to this was that I was not able to go back online and review my reservation or add any details. It was a basic, bare-bones affair: pick a package, select dates, reserve with a deposit on credit card and use your email receipt as your verification- that's it. A little more interactive web experience for reserved guests/club members would put them with other similar properties.

Upon arrival I was greeted by a very friendly staff person who promptly offered me a 'high' room (15th floor - good enough), and went over the details of my reserved package. [I booked the "GTL: Gym Tan & Liquor" package that's branded with one of the guys from the Jersey Shore TV show. I don't watch the show, and since I'm African American, I had no real need for the tan. However I wanted free access to the fitness center, and the 'liquor' drink credits basically apply to any food & drink purhcased on property, alcohol not required.]

The front desk attendant was attentive to my concerns about the resort fee, and although she was not able to have it removed, or apply it to internet charges (really unfortunate), she was kind enough to ask her manager and apologize for the charge up front.

My room on the 15th floor was exactly "Just Right." The Palms originally opened as an off-Strip property with good pricing and a dynamite vibe. Most folks coming to the Palms were all about the party scene at the pool, and the rooms were secondary. This is evident in the fact that the room is just the right size, has just the right amount of space allocated for the bed, chairs, the bathroom and storage. The only glaring omission was the fact that there is no desk. considering the amount of business travel that must come to the Palms - even if it's a party destination, it seems that there should be a proper desk where people can use their computers. Odd move. The room also seemed to be dominated by a huge armoire, which contained closet space, entertainment center and valet for the ice chest and a fridge. The armoire was so huge, it seemed to eat the room, although the room was plenty spacious to accommodate it. Inside was a gargantuan fat tube TV, instead of a flat screen which seems to be the norm. The old style TV was fine, worked well and the picture was good - it just seemed like a relic compared to current trends.

The bathroom was EXACTLY the size, shape and level of comfort that it should have been. The full-sized tub was perfect, there was no separate water closet (pretentious) and the sink/vanity was well laid out. My favorite amenity of course was SHOWER GEL-yay! The brand was nothing special, but the fragrance was nice and the quality decent. This is such a superior improvement over the little soap bars that should be legally banned.

Perhaps the best part of my stay was my time spent in the Drift Spa/Hammam and Fitness Center. Yes, despite my natural tan, I took advantage of the free tanning sessions included in my package. These were 12 minute quickie romps on the tanning bed with no frills. The attendant was friendly and helpful and very supportive of my first time status. In the fitness center, the attendant, TOM was an absolute superstar! He took ample time to tour me through the spa facilities, offered me slippers, towels, bathrobe, and a full rundown of the fitness center. Tom gets special mention because he has the thankless job of hanging around a locker room- but he handled it with great professionalism.
After my work out, tan and spa-ing, i retreated to the Simon restaurant, where I had a fantastic experience as well (separate review to come).

At the end of my stay at the Palms, I had not won a lot of money, nor had I spent a lot of time in the Plams Place Tower or Playboy Tower. What I did, however, was to enjoy first-class service on a very modest budget. I ate my farewell meal at the N9NE steakhouse (one of my favorites, also reviewed), and was checked out by DJ who promised an upgrade on my next stay.

The Palms indeed is 'Just Right!'

Room Tip: Ask for what you want. A 'high' floor is subjective in Vegas since most hotels don't pub...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Dear Los Angeles Guest,

We certainly appreciate your thorough review of your stay at the Palms Casino Resort. It is always great to read feedback from guests that have enjoyed the entirety of their time with us, and we are humbled by your kind words. We are pleased that you were satisfied with your accommodations and impressed with the service you received. In your case, it is apparent that we have achieved our goal of offering premium guest service and an unforgettable Las Vegas experience. Thank you again for your commentary, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 1 December 2011

My husband and I did a staycation here for our anniversary. Our Jr. Suite in the Palms tower was nice, but nothing special. When I think suite, I would at least expect robes in the room. There were none, the toiletries were just okay, the furnishings were pretty average. We did have a nice view of the strip. The thing that really bothered me was the $15.00 plus tax "Resort Fee". Sorry, but if you're going to charge this fee, you should at least pretend to give something for it. The internet is extra, the fitness room is extra, the bottles water in the room is $8.00/bottle! This fee, for whatever management wants to say about it being standard practice in Las Vegas, is ridiculous. We had our anniversary dinner at Alize, which was absolutely wonderful, and spent $300 for dinner with no complaints. But paying $15.00 plus for nothing left me thinking that I will stay somewhere else next time. There are plenty of nice places in Vegas that do not charge this fee.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Las Vegas Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Palms Casino Resort. We are so pleased that you chose to share your anniversary with us! We agree that Alize is an amazing dining outlet, and we are glad that you enjoyed your experience. However, it is obvious from your review that the rest of your stay did not meet your expectations, and for this, we apologize. Hopefully we will have an opportunity to regain your confidence in the future, and we wish you and your family a wonderful holiday season.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We purchased Groupon and were very excited to stay at The Palms. We had already made restaurant reservations at Nove (good restaurant) before we checked in, but we contacted the concierge (Jannet) to request a nice table with a view of the city. When we got sat down, we had no view of the city.
At the same time we asked for the "table with a view," we also asked the same concierge to make us reservations for Little Buddha for the next evening. I originally requested 7pm, but she said that was not available, was 6:45 or 7:15 ok? I said 7:15 would be great. So, the next evening after a day out on the town, we came back to get ready for dinner. When we walked over to the restaurant, we discovered the restaurant was closed for a private event. At no point in time when I made the reservation or during our staweeks anyone contact us about the error. They had to have known the night we made the reservation that there was a private party the next eveing, but nothing was communicated to us. We had show tickets for that evening so were really stuck in a bind for dinner plans. To make it worse, the same concierge (Jannet) did not apologize or try to do anything for us to make it right other than tell us about another restaurant on the property we could go to.
When we got back from the show that evening a little after midnight and got back to the room, we had no water. When I called the front desk, they simply told me it was out for scheduled maintenance. Yet another situation that could have been communicated to the hotel guests in advance! We were told that it should be back on by 6 am. The next morning, it was not back on and the front desk and manager on duty could not tell us when it would be. We had to switch rooms that morning just to shower before we left Vegas.
The failure to communicate the issues during our stay were ridiculous. We will never again stay at The Palms!!

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank kank15
Eden M, Guest Relations Manager at Palms Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Dear Spring Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Palms Casino Resort during your recent visit to Las Vegas. It is disheartening to learn of your difficult experience with us, and your frustration is undoubtedly understandable. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the apparent lack of communication. As situations and circumstances in this industry are always shifting and can change on a moment’s notice, infrequent breaks in the communication link are inevitable, but it is never our goal to keep important information from our guests.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience that may have colored your stay. However, we would love the opportunity to discuss your stay further so that we may find an appropriate resolution. Please feel free to contact our Guest Relations Manager at eden.mccallister@palms.com, and we will be more than happy to address any unresolved issues and hopefully welcome you back to the property. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to being in contact in the near future. Happy holidays!

Reviewed 29 November 2011

My boyfriend and I made a reservation a couple nights before our stay from travelocity and recieved a Thanksgiving Special. We were very excited about the discount amd upon arriving we recieved another free upgrade to a condo suite in the Palms Place! We have never been treated so great at a hotel before. It made our Vegas expirence amazing! I am still in a little shock how beautiful the room and view was! We cannot wait to come back to the Palms again =)

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank ablythe123

Dear Hotelier,

We sincerely appreciate your honest evaluation of Palms Place. We are delighted that we were able to create a memorable Thanksgiving Day weekend for your party, and we take pride in our ability to provide superior guest service such as the service you experienced. Thank you again for your kind remarks, and we look forward to visiting with you again soon! Happy holidays!

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Six years ago, I stayed here and hated the experience. Time has a way of diminishing memory especially when I received a very generous offer that included free play and a complimentary suite for up to three nights. I ventured to try it again for two nights and though this time the experience was somewhat more pleasant, I still am not convinced I would return. This property used to be happening and now it feels very ten minutes ago. To be fair, the room I received in the Fantasy Tower was lovely with a very comfortable bed with a great bathroom that was clean with good amenities. So that part of it was fine. In the hallway there was outside the room next to mine a pizza box with a smelly piece of uneaten pizza that greeted me for the next twenty-four hours. As I checked in, I was told that I would be charged the resort fee which really only covered a $20.00 bar tab. I received a VIP pass to the Ghost bar and the Playboy Club as well as $20.00 coupons for the cash-grab resort fee they charge even on invited guests. I was certainly not impressed about that as being a gambler I would expect my drinks to be covered anyway while I gamble. What did I need bar tab coupons for? I decided that I might as well enjoy a drink at the Ghost bar and enjoy the view only to be informed that it was closed for a private function! When I decided I would go and eat at the Steak house, I was informed that it too was closed for a private function! When I wanted to eat at Little Buddha, it too was closed as it is only open certain nights of the week. I couldn't help but suspect these places were closed for lack of business as the casino was certainly not busy. I ended it up eating at Nove, the italian restaurant in the Fantasy Tower which was two thirds empty, not very good and quite expensive. The view however was spectacular as it is on the 54th floor. To use my bar tab, after dinner, I went to one of the casino bars and asked for a single malt shot. That took care of the $20.00 coupon in one drink! One has to pay a ludicrous $14.99 + tax for internet which is usually included in the resort fee one pays at other hotels. Luckily I had no use for it as I have a Blackberry, however I was still surprised. The Caesar's (used to be Harrah's) brand does not charge a resort fee nor, in my experience at many properties, do any of the other casinos if one is their invited guest such as Wynn,Venetian, Treasure Island...etc. On my second day there I chose to eat, drink and gamble elsewhere as I felt frankly quite indifferent and under-serviced. Though I will never say never, I have no plans to return in spite of other offers sent to me as I feel the property is gasping and grasping, which is a pity. When one is nickled and dimed like that, one cannot help but suspect the integrity of the rest of the operation and that is not a good suspicion to have for someone who enjoys gambling.

Room Tip: Ask for Fantasy Tower
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Canadianknowitall
Eden M, Guest Relations Manager at Palms Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Dear Ontario Guest,

Thank you for allowing the Palms Casino Resort another opportunity to serve you. We are disappointed that you were not satisfied with your recent experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations, but we are certainly saddened that you felt the rest of your stay to be lack luster. Our venues are very often booked for private parties and special occasions, and it’s regrettable that you were not able to experience our exceptional dining establishments or our vibrant night life options during your time with us.

We apologize if the resort fee was frustrating to you, but contrary to popular belief, the resort fee is a standard practice in Las Vegas hospitality. With the exception of the Harrah’s properties, which still leave the majority of properties, a daily resort fee is required of all guests. Also, internet access is very seldom included in the resort fee. However, we do take all guest commentary very seriously. Again, we apologize for any inconveniences that may have colored your stay, and thank you for your feedback. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the property in the future.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

We had been to the Palms previously to dine and gamble, but It was our first time staying at the Palms. I booked three nights for my wife and I just before the Thanksgiving weekend. The check-in was fine, and the staff was friendly and pleasant. The $16.80 daily resort fee is returned in the form of a bar credit, and can be used at any casino bar. Each bar credit expires at the end of the day - so check the dates and use them up. Our room was in the Palms Tower and was pretty standard for the industry. The TV was the older style and not a flat screen. The remote control only changed the channel but did not adjust the volume. My wife and I thought the comfort level of the bed was just average. On our second day, room service never made up our room even though we left the room at 11:00 a.m. We thought the dining choices were good and reasonably priced, and there's a movie theatre with food court in the hotel. All of the staff that we interacted with were personable and professional. Something else I should mention is that the pool is currently closed for maintenance. Overall we had a great time in Vegas, but I would have to say the Palms Casino & Hotel was just average.

Room Tip: My sister stayed at The Palms Place during the same weekend. Palms Place is their upscale condo sty...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Eden M, Guest Relations Manager at Palms Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Dear San Diego Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Palms Casino Resort. We are pleased that you were met with pleasant and friendly staff, but disappointed that you found your overall experience to be lackluster. We will be renovating the Palms Tower in the near future and updating the amenities and décor for more of a modern atmosphere. However, we agree that our property has everything you need to have a memorable Las Vegas experience without leaving the premises. We sincerely appreciate your feedback, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay in our upgraded Fantasy Tower or perhaps even Palms Place.