“Not a bad stop”

34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Not a bad stop”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

First, one must keep in mind that I'm from Edmonton and we have a relatively small zoo.

The Southern Nevada Zoo is definitely very small. But it is afterall a private zoo, and not a real municipal zoo. It's a matter of expectation. If this place was called "Bob's Random Animal Emporium", I think the reviews would be better. You can't compare this to a tax-payer subsidized zoo. So don't expect it.

As a private attraction, it's not bad. Sure, some animal enclosures do seem a bit small and ghetto, but most were okay. They should probably move the larger animals such as the lion and chimp to a better home. There is quite an assortment of animals. And we went during feeding time for a few. My son had a blast running after the pigeons more than admiring the animals.

Parking is definitely a problem. Not a bad attraction, but not something you should go out of your way to see.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Gazorninplat

seattle
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“I did learn something.......”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I was shocked to walk by a caged Raven and it said "Hello" I had no clue that Ravens could say anything. A Keeper said it also says I love you...... A lion who kept growling at me lots of macaws. Some of the water looked dirty. There is a petting zoo area that consists of goats. The Zoo is very very small. If you have small children they will enjoy it - I found it to be rather ho hum.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank nano262
Lloydminster
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very small enclosures, mostly birds”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

small zoo, very small enclosures. poor lioness looked half dead, was in a small pen and could barely turn around. the coy pond was discusting looked like it was all sludge. the smaller animals like the foosa and tortises as well as birds looked in good shape.

Visited April 2012
5 Thank Staticfire229
Henderson, Nevada, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Cruel existence for these poor animals”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

The conditions at this zoo are completely deplorable! The cages are unbelievably small, the animals don't look healthy, it's filthy, and the place stinks!!! I can't believe that no one has yet been able to shut this place down. I honestly can not believe that anyone can look at those poor animals and think the conditions they are living in are in any way acceptable. It is inhumane to allow this to continue. The owner should be charged and thrown in jail.

Visited February 2013
13 Thank Mary J
Las Vegas, Nevada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Sad”
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I visited the Las Vegas Zoo today, mainly to see for myself the conditions of the animals and their environment. I was very saddened by the cramped and isolated conditions that these animals live. The lioness we were told has allergies and that is why her nose and forehead is blackened by her incessant rubbing. She lives alone, but deserves to be in a sanctuary where she has room to roam, grass to roll and other lions to socialize.

I also agree with the person who wrote about the cramped conditions of a large snake. It was the Africa Python, who looked like it was at least 3 times longer than the glass containment that it was in and had filthy water as well.

It seems like the young people who were working in the Zoo today cared about the animals, so I'm sorry to say this, but I believe it is time to remove most of the animals to sanctuaries where they have proper living conditions and not condone these operations any longer.

Visited January 2013