“A HORROR SHOW” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #68 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Los Angeles
“A HORROR SHOW”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I've never seen reviews of an establishment that made me more suspicious of on-line reviews than the raves about this utter disaster on the distant outskirts of Las Vegas. Is it POSSIBLE these ravers who commend the cleanliness and the staff were anywhere within MILES of the place I stopped one miserable night?

First, understand that those who say this is a "not so good neighborhood" are being kind. It's in an awful neighborhood, and you'd be an idiot to leave a used napkin in your car in the parking lot.

I walked in after a 12 hour drive and was surprised to find the lobby danker and darker than my own car. But I was beat and needed sleep.

When I boarded the elevator to my room I was overwhelmed by a powerful smell, something like Pinesol held directly to my face, but without the pine. I shrugged it off as something obviously used recently to clean the elevator, a big smell overwhelming the tiny space. But when I stepped out on my floor the same smell hit me in the face even stronger, with a vague undertone of eau de vomit. It didn't help that the hall was apparently not air conditioned, and so it was approximately the ambient temperature in Las Vegas at that time, in the low 90s.

That was glorious, though, compared to stepping into my room. The odor THERE I could identify exactly - cigars. And a lot of 'em. I double checked the door. Yup - non-smoking, just like I'd asked for. So why were there two "Best Western" ashtrays on the bathroom counter cleaned and waiting?

That's when I glanced at the towel rack and saw the towels rolled up and ready for use. Two were so dirty and clearly recently used - perhaps to wipe down a car? - that I began taking pictures. Next I found were the cigarette burns all over the bathroom counter. And what joys awaited me in the REST of the room! More cigarette burns, and one of the two beds appeared to have been slept on. I don't mean "in" The spread was still in place, but there was a clear indentation and there were wrinkles that made it appear to me someone had taken a nap on one of the beds. I snapped pictures of it all. I'll see if I can post them here, and I've already sent copies of to LQ's main offices.

I then turned around and returned to the desk, less than 10 minutes after I'd checked in. A sweaty fellow who seemed not to know where anything on his desk was - he acted nervous and kept touching or looking for things as we talked - said he'd be glad to put me in another room, but since I'd already gone into the one, he'd have to charge me for two rooms. See, with my room now "used" by my going into it, he patiently explained the law would require him to have it cleaned again before the next guest could be checked into it. My argument that it may have been straightened, but based upon the linens it never had been CLEANED didn't mean anything to him. He explained to me as if I were a 10 year old that, by virtue of everything I was telling him about, the room had OBVIOUSLY been used, and he'd have to have it cleaned because of that, and so I had to pay for two rooms, or take the one I'd been given and had "used."

Don't forget to check out the "dog walk area." Signs in the spit of grass in front of the hotel warn folks not to let there dogs go there, and direct guests to the "dog walk area." The dog walk area is a square of gravel around back of the building, with an industrial AC unit blowing. There MAY have been lights there, but all the bulbs appear to have gone out. But it's right next to some rooms, so you can walk in the gravel right outside rooms and see by the lights guests have turned on in their rooms. Wave to them. make some friends! I'm sure they like the break from looking out to the Walmart parking lot next door, and instead getting to see dogs pooping.

If you see this review and still give this hotel a shot, you don't have any right to complain or ask for a refund. This was, far and away, absolutely the worst dump I've ever set foot in in the last 35 years.

Room Tip: Sleep on the street, a bus bench, ANYTHING but this place
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank 2008travellover
, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Las Vegas Nellis, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Traveler,

I apologize that we were unable to create a peaceful and pleasant experience during your stay. You mentioned a few issues that certainly are not the norm, including the the Front Desk Associate saying that you would be charged for changing rooms. This is not part of our policy and if indeed you were charged twice, please call and speak with Rosalie our GM to discuss the charges. There will always be instances when we don't meet a guest's need, though we sincerely try to offer the very best service and make the most of all situations within our control. Our Trip Advisor ranking and previous guest comments speak for themselves so I apologize for the situations that lead to your grievances and assure you that we will follow up on all the issues which we can control and improve upon. Thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

The area wasn't to good, but the rooms were clean and comfortable. The best part was the customer service we got. Myra was amazing (friendly, helpful, great personality, and service with a smile). I wish all La Quinta was like Las Vegas Nellis....Jeff was also nice. It was also great that Wal-mart and McDonald was right next door.

Don't travel on the same day "ECD" is going on. Traffic was horriable coming back, but when we got to the room it was worth it. Thank you for having such great customer service reps.....

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

HIG110, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Las Vegas Nellis, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent Vegas softball touranment. We understand the frustrations of transportation during the busy EDC weekend, but we're so happy to hear that our staff and comfortable hotel made your stay memorable. It will give me great pleasure to share your comments with the rest of the team!

Hope to see you back here the next time you're in Vegas!
Carson, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I wasn't sure about this area and we came at the wrong time b/c it was EDC weekend...traffice was horriable. The rooms were clean, comfortable and Walmart/McD was right next door (that was a +). I was also very impress with the customer service we got at the front desk after a long 5 hour drive..... Mayra was wonderful, kind, helpful and the perfect person to have up in the front. We also met Jeff, he was also nice and understanding in the late hours. I wish all La Quinta hotels had Mayra in there front desk. The key plus for this La Quinta was Mayra and Jeff....

They pool and sauna needs cleaning. There was no bubbles coming out of the sauna...other this and the areas...it was a cool stay....

Room Tip: "Stay away from the North-side"
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I enjoyed my stay at La Quinta and plan to stay again because La Quinta is a very clean place. It is very important to up hold a high standard of cleaniness. I also enjoyed the service at the desk. Mayra, M. and Jeff, H. did an excellent job helping me with questions I had, reguarding the times,locations,ie,breakfast,laundry,pool and the computer screen (Touch It ) for information. Both Mayra,M. ,Jeff, H. and staff working here,have excellent attitudes. That's very important to me! P.S. Suggestion: Could it possible to install a small plastic holder in the cornor of the showers for shampoo,soap,etc. Room 318 did not have one.

Room Tip: My only tip would be: Stay at La Quinta Inns and Suites. I give La Quinta high marks for cleaniness...
1 Thank Danny R
Syracuse, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

the staff and managment are very nice and very helpful good breakfast and clean place i would stay here again and again.

1 Thank lonnie d
Ypsilanti, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Nice place to be for your vacation to Vegas, clean room, friendly and helpful staff, quiet....I love the breakfast, that real breakfast..

Room Tip: Quiet..........
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIG110, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Las Vegas Nellis, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Derar Traveler,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the La Quinta Inn Nellis. We're thrilled that you chose us for your accomodations while vacationing in Las Vegas and we're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your comfortable stay along with the amenities.

We hope to see you the next time you're in Las Vegas!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Las Vegas
Comfort Inn & Suites Las Vegas
Comfort Inn & Suites Las Vegas
#120 of 264 in Las Vegas
Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas Nellis
BEST WESTERN PLUS North Las Vegas Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN PLUS North Las Vega...
#4 of 10 in North Las Vegas
Hampton Inn Las Vegas/North Speedway
Hampton Inn Las Vegas/North Spee...
#2 of 10 in North Las Vegas
SpringHill Suites Las Vegas North Speedway
SpringHill Suites Las Vegas Nort...
#3 of 10 in North Las Vegas
La Quinta Inn & Suites Las Vegas RedRock/Summerlin

Been to La Quinta Inn Las Vegas Nellis? Share your experiences!