“Great place out of the play-ground”

Wyndham Grand Desert
Ranked #32 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I loved this resort. We were close enough to the strip, but far enough to not gamble all of our money away. The resort and suites were beautiful. We loved it! I enjoyed that there was an adult pool and children's pool seperate. The bartendar during the day really knows how to make some miami vices..hehe. THe only downfall are the salespersons. I never in my life have been pushed around by such Wyndham sales executives the way this guy with an English accent pushed my husband and I. I did inform Wyndham about his behavior.

Room Tip: Book an end room!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jessicaj387
Write a ReviewReviews (2,263)

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I booked this hotel 5 days ago for a trip in February 2012. I made a mistake in the dates, by one day (I want the same number of nights, just starting and ending one day later). As soon as I realised the mistake (when I got the formal booking notice) I contacted the hotel. They will not change the reservation even though it is for a less busy night, and three months in advance. In fact they say I can not even add an additional day! Obviously they care little or nothing about their customers! I will NEVER stay at a Wyndham hotel again.

Incidentally, I clicked on one of the boxes below and can not unclick them for some reason. I have no idea how good the actual hotel is, and I am hoping not to find out.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
11  Thank Ngaire1
Reviewed 2 December 2011

The casinos in Vegas are rightfully known for being smokey. The Wyndham Grand Desert is a mile off of the strip but it was so nice to walk into a smoke free facility. We booked though Vacation Rentals by Owners and were very satisfied with our experience. We got exactly what we paid for, the king bed was luxurious, the second bedroom had two nice queen beds, there were 3 big TV's in the suite. But on your walking shoes or use the shuttle, the Wyndham is a nice alternative to strip life.

2  Thank Kelly W
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I spent Thanksgiving at the Wyndham Grand Desert and have nothing but raves about the property and the staff. My sister and I shared a one bedroom suite on the 8th floor in the Bella Torre tower. Our room looked out toward the strip. Situated on Koval and Harmon this resort near all things Vegas without the hustle and bustle of being right on the strip. If you want to skip the strip- the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino is just down the street . We had our turkey dinner across town at the Rio and the next night visited the Hof Brau House which is just down the street from the Wyndham. Parking was easy and there was plenty of it even with a FULL house. Even though there were a lot of families including kids- they were quiet. The cuisinart small appliances got a workout from us- loved the coffee pot, microwave and blender in the room.
Only complaint- the sofa bed was shot. Sis and I ended up sharing the big queen bed in the bedroom. The crisp elegant bedding was comfortable and we had plenty of room. Washer and dryer in the room meant we took home clean clothes.
Our fault- we left a bag behind. This morning Katie in Lost and Found called me back and it is on its way home for a small UPS charge- thanks Katie!
I will be happy to come back over and over- next time I do want to come off peak so I can enjoy the strip without quite so many crowds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevators if you have trouble walking- halls are long.
2  Thank Kate B
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Read the reviews before we went, most reviews said this was a great place and I cannot agree with them more! Just returned from our week in Vegas for Thanksgiving. Check-in was easy. I asked for a strip view and got placed in Tower 3 facing the strip. Our room was a 2 bdrm deluxe. First the negatives: It was a tad smaller than I expected, the low ceilings didn't help (and I'm only 5'2 and I thought it was too low!). I found out later at the timeshare "discussion" that the rooms are differently sized for wyndham and non-wyndham owners. Since I'm not a wyndham owner, my 2 bdrm deluxe was smaller. My room had white kitchen appliances. Not terribly negative, just aesthetics.

Now the positives: Super cozy, staff is polite, loved that the parking was super close, and service is exceptional. My toaster was malfunctioning and causing my toasts to burn. I called the operator and asked for a replacement. They brought me a brand new one within 10 min. (maybe even 5!). Then about 2 mins after that, hotel customer service called to make sure I got what I needed. Totally unexpected and pleasantly surprised.

Lastly, the wi-fi. There was no fee for wi-fi. I guess they realized all the complaints from previous guests and decided not to charge for it anymore. Good for us. Wi-fi was sketchy but it wasn't too bad. We were able to Skype some relatives with no problems.

I highly recommend this place. We are Hilton owners, stayed here with RCI points, usually we stay at the Hilton resorts in LV but if I get another chance to stay here I definitely will.

3  Thank Cindy K
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Although a very clean and attractive hotel, my wife and I were disappointed with the fact that we were tricked into believing that we would receive a free breakfast and a free gift(a $100.00 American Express gift card or a $150.00 voucher for casino gambling), if we agreed to attend a brief sales presentation on vacation ownership at this hotel. Being current RCI owners, we thought we knew what to expect. Wrong. They led us through parking garages and other buildings with us meeting 4 different people and having to prove our identity(they already knew who we were after having checked into the hotel) before we saw anything and being told to wait till we were called. At that point, I had had enough, and refused to go any further. It was already much longer than breakfast should take and I didn't see where there was any place for breakfast. I asked to speak to the manager and when he finally got back to me an hour later, he claimed he was sorry for the misunderstanding and that we should have been told by the person signing us up of what to expect. He offered nothing, even though his member services representative promised that we would still receive the free gift of our choice due to the misunderstanding. From then on, day 1, we felt the service was cold and there was no further attempt by any hotel representative to make sure our vacation was enjoyable or comfortable. Phone in unit did not work properly(loose line connection) and we were locked out of the room safe on two occasions requiring us to wait for repair service. Overall, the lack of consideration for our time and comfort was overlooked.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tim P
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Just had a great stay in 1 bdrm unit in Nov, 2011. Best trip to Vegas yet for accomodations. Definately 4-5 star. We will be coming back. Very well furnished unit. Extremely comfortable. Very, very helpful and friendly staff. Quiet and not typical with NO Vegas hectic crowds. Free parking & Internet. Shuttle/limo to strip every 20 min.
Other reviews were critical of being off strip and stranded w/o car. That is the way Vegas is even if you are on the strip, as hotels can be located far apart and a bunch of walking, taxi, or shuttle rides are necessary anyway. Vegas is always best with a car.
Only comment that may be neagtive is limited menu of snack shop at hotel. There is no typical hotel restaurant; but this is most common with timeshares anyway. Yoiu can take the free limo to the strip and find several very good restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple