“Enjoyed my stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Antonio, Texas
“Enjoyed my stay!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I would rate them 5 stars but my several experiences at the Cafe just won't let me click that 5 star button. Overall, the staff was extremely nice and the stay was great. I loved having a washer/dryer in the room so you don't go home with dirty clothes! Who wouldn't like that?! Now let's talk about their little Cafe in Tower 1. I went there at least four different times during our four night stay. I was annoyed after leaving every single time. You would think I would have learned right? The food was just mediocre and definitely not worth the price but you pay for convenience so I understand that. The girl at the register got super flustered if there were more than two people in line. They had a line one time of about 10 people. My friend ordered a Caesar salad. Every single person (including others who ordered after her) got their food and her salad was nowhere to be seen. She asked them. What do they hand her? A container with lettuce, a package of croutons, a package of cheese and a package of dressing. Now for a $7 salad that's just outrageous but what took so long? You literally put a handful of lettuce in a container and said DIY. Another instance, I ordered chili cheese fries. They forgot the cheese. It's chili CHEESE fries how do you forget a main ingredient? I took it back to the counter. The cashier laughed at me and gave it back to the cook and never spoke to me about it. There was no "I apologize for that" or anything. No words were spoken. Then let's talk about the fact that they charge you for every little thing. A cup of water? I get you have to pay for the cost of the cup but trust me your food prices cover the costs of 100 cups per order. I don't mind paying for water but it just seems silly and especially at a nice place like this. Overall, I enjoyed my visit and would definitely return but I've learned my lesson about their cafe. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ashley900812
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Ashley900812 thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of the Grand Desert. Please accept my apology for the lack of service and challenges you experienced at our cafe. I truly wish you would have contacted our F&B manager at the time of your challenge. We so want to hear all of the great things and challenges you experience while you are with us so that we hope to continue some things and on the other hand fix anything that feel below our guests expectations. Once again I apologize for the experience you encountered at our cafe. We hope to see you and your family and friends again. Please be sure to let us know when you are visiting and allow us to make up for anything you experienced this past trip.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Finnish first
chicago
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is gorgeous. We had a 2 bedroom suite which is huge. I loved the layout of the room. The staff was pretty friendly. The pools are gorgeous. There is plenty of room to sit. I would definitely stay here again. The only thing I didn't care for is that you are required to have your room key everytime you got in the elevator. This resort is huge. The parking is great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jenjen523 thank you so much for taking the time to review the Grand Desert. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay along with the accomodations. We apologize for the trouble of using your room key for getting on the elevator but we truly do follow this rule for the safety and security of our owners and guests. Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you and your family and friends again.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel itself is great. The rooms, pool and fitness centre were all great (it may be worth noting there is no free housekeeping service) and the location was good - about a 15min walk to the strip, and there is a shuttle to Harrahs on the strip every 20-30minutes.

Check-in took about half an hour after which we were told our room wouldn't be ready for another hour and a half (granted we did arrive at around 3pm which is before the 4pm check-in time). After check-in we were directed to another desk to collect a 'welcome package' where the man at the desk was telling us that he was going to give us 4 free tickets to see a show "worth over $200" however on closer inspection of the contract he asked us to sign we saw that this was based on the condition that we must attend a "90 minute" timeshare presentation which would include breakfast for the family (which turned out to be very basic). The man at the desk failed to mention the presentation before we signed and we saw it just before signing, so I would advise you to be aware that that us what you are signing for. Anyway, we decided to go to the presentation, just for the breakfast, however it took nearly 3.5 hours of our time and was FULL of high pressure sales and they had absolutely no respect for our decision not to purchase any of the sales they were pitching. It was a really unpleasant and stressful situation and we'd recommend that you do not go to presentation.

The focus of this place is, from our experience, all about sales, and not about the customer. It was a shame because while the hotel itself is great, the pressure of sales from the minute we stepped into the lobby ruined it for us.

We will probably NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Tower 2 is quiet and the pool view is nice.
2 Thank Mathisha D
Mathisha D thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the Grand Desert. I want to start off by saying I apologize for the high pressure sales pitch that you received at the member service desk. Please don't let that experience cloud your coming back to the Grand Desert. We at the resort along with our resort associates strive to make sure that each and every guest once settled has a true grand experience with us. We do appreciate that you did mention and hopefully enjoyed our shuttle and our 3 pools on the property. Thank you again for taking the time and we hope to see you in the future.
Ada, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a 7 night stay in a 2 bedroom and it was perfect. This is better than a 2 bedroom apartment with a wonderful master suite. The kitchen provides all necessary utensils. There are 3 beautiful pools and one that never closes--as Las Vegas never sleeps with lots of chairs. I especially liked the adult pool with water aerobic equipment. . There are many fun family opportunities and the resort has a great movie room, (with scheduled movies), game room and computer lab. A daily shuttle proved priceless, and opportunities are provided for grocery shopping, Fremont Experience, Las Vegas sign photo pop transportation which is much cheaper than a taxi. Everyone was super nice and helpful. Be warned that if you are not a Wyndham group member, you will be seduced to a time share presentation. Three different salespeople visited with us; two guys were respectful, but the woman was rude and even used cuss words, pardon my French, she said. We persevered with no buy-in, $35,000 appeal to emotions and family time, but our time benefitted us an American Express card that provided us many meals. This place is perfect for families and much better than a casino.

Room Tip: We had a stunning view of the strip from west windows and were able to go home with clean clothes th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
59GypsyGirl thank you so much for your very detailed review of the Grand Desert. We are so pleased that our resort and associates exceeded your expectations. It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our activties on the property along with our shuttle that also offers trips to different local hot spots. I do apologize for the behavior of the members service staff. I am glad to hear that you did enjoy some great meals with the gift card you received. I hope that we get to see you and your family and friends again?
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Even though this review is over eight months old, I thougt it might be helpful. This trip was our 10th to the Grand Desert. I just returned from Las Vegas, and did not stay here this time. I have new points as an owner starting in October, and had let my son , and his wife use my previous points to go to New Orleans. I simply can not say enough about this resort. I have never had a problem, ever. Yes, do expect when you go to to get your parking pass, to hear about a timeshare presentation. You may actually want to go, if for no more than the gift or gifts that you will receive. My last time I received a $100.00 American Express gift card. Not bad for an hour and a half of my time. As I had said, I did not stay there on my recent trip to Las Vegas. What a difference staying at the Grand Desert versus another hotel. The only other thing that I can add, is to get a rental car. It really gives you more opportunity to see things that you would not be able to do without one. As an example we went to Mt. Charleston the other day. It's about an hour drive from las Vegas. It's beautiful and going from 104 to 59 degrees was great.

Room Tip: As for any trip to Las Vegas, it's worth it to rent a car
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Larry M thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the Grand Desert. We were so pleased to hear that you enjoy our resort. We truly appreciate you honest feedback. Some guests don't realize the great sites that we do have within an hour or two. We hope to see you and your family and friends again.
belfast
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked our holiday in May 13 through Booking.com and paid in full. On checkout our account was nil

BEWARE- although the resort and people were lovely, 3 months after our return Wyndham Grand Desert tried to take $1099 from my husbands credit card. We contacted the travel agent we had booked with to resolve - Wyndham refused to deal with them, so my husband stopped the transaction. Two weeks later they try to take $1099 from my credit card - again refusing to speak or deal with the booking agent, and no contact with either me or my husband to explain why they are doing this

Atrocious service and treatment - we had been thinking about returning, but will not now - can't believe how stressful this has been and Grand Wyndham refusal to reolve

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank trotpot
trotpot I would like to apologize on behalf of our management team at the Grand Desert. As soon as I read your review I jumped into action and spoke with our Resort Manager and our Guest Service Manager concerning the challenge you have been having with payment. Our Guest Service Manager has tried to reach out to you by phone and will continue to reach out to you until there is a resolution. Please accept my apologies again and know that we will get to the bottom of the concern.
Vacaville, California
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is the very best place to take your family. Clean and quiet with a lovely view. Staff is very helpful. We have been coming here for several years with our grandchildren. Lot's to do at the hotel. We've found that this is a nice home away from home experience. Everything you need is provided. We've tried other places when we couldn't get in here. Now I book months in advance to make sure we get to spend our family vacation at this condo. We always get a two bedroom and there is plenty of room for six of us.

1 Thank Melody G
Thank you so much Melody G for taking the time to write a review of the Grand Desert. We were thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. We strive to make everyone feel like Grand Desert is a home away from home. Thank you again and we hope to share many wonderful memories with you and your family and friends.