“Good times!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hacienda Heights, California
“Good times!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My family stayed here, last week. The overall experience was great! I loved the variety of pool & jacuzzi options. One pool is 24-hour, which allowed us to hang out all night long, if we wanted. The adult pool was very nice, with a live band one day, and a DJ, on another. We met some interesting people, including two Russian-speaking ladies, a musician, and people from various walks of life. The pool was pleasant and it was fun floating around on noodles all day. The rooms were nice--just a little cramped--but my large family of seven+1 had a good time (we had two rooms). The security guards were very nice and accommodating. It was certainly worth the time and a very relaxing vacation. Feel free to ask any questions about the stay.

Room Tip: Perhaps, a double would be more spacious. The sinks in the singles were somewhat small.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you so much KSeanWar for your detailed review of your stay at the Grand Desert. We appreciate the details you shared about our pools and other amenities. We so strive to provide lasting memories for our guests. We hope to see you and your family and friends again. Glad you met some interesting people while vacationing as well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I rated this resort only average because of the following:
1. Check-in & check-out were slow because mainly of the slow computer which I experienced also when I tried to print my airplane boarding pass. Recommend to replace the current computer system and update to a faster computer system.
2. Directed to go to Guest services which will give you your information packet and tried to convince you to attend a presentation, like giving you $100 gift certificate and free breakfast. They stopped after I told them our time was limited.
3. The breakfast in Tower 1 cafe where we stayed was not good at all. The scrambled eggs looked like plastic and tasted awful and very expensive, more than $38 for a very simple breakfast for 3 people . We ate there only once after this bad experience. I do not recommend people to eat in the cafe.
4. There should be arrow to follow from Tower 2 reception to Tower 1 especially going to a door then pass thru the garage and to the elevator and vice versa that you have to take level 2 from Tower 1 turning right once out from the elevator, then open the door and turn left to Tower 2 to the reception area.
5. Cannot get a taxi in Tower 1 because all the taxis were taken those checking out or going places in Tower 2 where the taxis go first. So, every time we needed a ride, we go to Tower 2 entrance. This is especially true if you need a shuttle ride to Harrah or grocery shopping, etc.
6. The grocery in Tower 1 was very expensive, e.g. a small bottle of water costs about $4.
Great things about the resort:
1. The grocery shopping shuttle to VONS grocery is a must. The driver was very nice and told us to tell the cashier that we were in the Wyndham grocery shopping shuttle to give us discount and boxes when they bag our groceries. For $40 after $6 discount, we bought 7 types of fruits, eggs, milk, cream, water, snacks, bread, etc., more than enough supply for 4 breakfast. We ate out for lunch and dinner because there were lots of excellent and cheap restaurants in Vegas. This grocery store was cheap, clean, and lot of selections. I highly recommend for guests to get their groceries in the place. The round trip fare was $5/person and can be reserved a day in advance in the activities center to ensure a spot in the bus.
2. There were several free shuttles going to Harrah every 20 minutes. From Harrah, there was also a free shuttle going to Rio. The shuttles to Harrah and shopping do not allow children 6 and under to ride due to safety per Nevada law.
3. There were a lot of activities at the resort that we did not do because we went to Vegas to attend a reunion which booked all our activities. There was a free 3 D movies at the theater in the resort. Also, there was a Havana party one afternoon.
4. Be able to use a free Wifi at the resort.
5. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit and had washer and dryer, a full kitchen and well furnished appliances which was very convenient to prepare breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
6. Tower 1 and tower 2 had their own activities center.
7. Trash cans and shuts were located in each floor, read your resort manual in the room.
8. Very close to the airport about $8 from the resort but more than $12 from the airport because of the $2 airport fee added to your fare. Taxi to Caesar palace or Wynn was about $8 from the resort.
I definitely going back to this resort when I go to Vegas since it was great and quiet location, staff was helpful and nice but stay in Tower 2 for convenience.

Room Tip: Stay in Tower 2.
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Jaime L
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you so much Peka19 for the extensive review of the Grand Desert. We appreciate the time you took to detail the pros and cons of the resort. We are so pleased that you had so many pros to write about. All of our associates strive to be sure that each and every guest has a great experiece while staying with us. We do apologize for the meal you experienced at our cafe. We do thank you for the details of all of the items you were able to purchase at the grocery store and that you took advantage of the shuttles. We also are so happy to hear that we will see you and family and friends again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Desert for a weekend anniversary trip, and would definitely recommend this resort to other travelers.

We stayed in Tower 2, which is actually the main tower where check in, concierge, and Activities are located. My check in was quick, as was the visit to the desk to get our shuttle passes. We did not have a car, so I can't speak to the previous reviewer's experience with withholding the passes- everything went smoothly there, and when we declined the sales presentation they were disappointed, but did not ask again all weekend.

Our purposes for the weekend were to see a show or two, enjoy good food, and enjoy the pools. For this purpose, the Grand Desert is an excellent choice. Depending on where you are going on the Strip, it is walkable- just remember, everything looks closer than it really is because the buildings are so large. It's two VEGAS blocks, which can be daunting- and that's just to reach the Strip. If you're not used to walking a good distance in heels, ladies, either bring a change of pair, or opt for a shuttle or cab. Your walk brings you to the corner of Planet Hollywood and the Aria, for reference. Just be realistic about where you want to go before walking, cabs are cheap enough and the shuttle is, well, free!

So, we walked the Strip Friday and then went for dinner and a show on Saturday. During the days, we relaxed at the adult pool area, which was great- plenty of lounge chairs both in sun and shade, a tiki bar, and pool noodles for floating. They also had live music for awhile on Saturday. We actually rented a cabana for the weekend- in comparison to what we had considered at Mandalay bay, the entire weekend was less than a partial day rental at Mandalay- actually, less than renting even ONE lounge chair for the day! The cabanas had a shaded couch and pillows, a flat screen tv, and then loungers in sunny front part of the cabana area. Two drinks from the tiki bar are also included with the rental, so that made it that much more attractive for us (I mean, we were going to buy them anyway...). While we were there, you probably could have always found an empty chair without renting a cabana, but the staff told us this was a slow weekend. Perhaps wait to see what it looks like when you arrive- there are four cabanas at the adult pool, and then two others we didn't see, but which are more family sized and set officially off the adult pool but I believe meant more for a family group. We used both cabana 1 and cabana 4, which were on each end. Cabana 4 has a palm tree in it, and while that sounds fun, it does make it tougher to maneuver and have your lounge chair in or out of the sun, depending upon the time of day. We switched to #1 for the second day. You are allowed to bring your own cooler with drinks (big money saver), just no glass bottles.

There is also a small take out restaurant on site, which we enjoyed one day while at the pool. Not the quickest thing ever, but the food was decent and delivery would have taken just as long. Prices were reasonable considering you are at a resort.

We did not use the fitness center, but did visit it- it was very nice, and larger than some of the other Wyndhams we have visited. I also enjoyed a massage, which was reasonably priced for the service, and well done. There is a Starbucks coffee cart on site, in the main lobby in tower 2, which was great for me- however, there were of course coffee and coffee pots in the room as well.

Our room was very comfortable, can't think of a single complaint there. I did rent movies from the Activities Center one evening, which was convenient and free- both features I enjoy :). Be aware, you must have your key to use the elevator to go anywhere other than the lobby. This is great from a security perspective but not great if one of you is just running to the activities center, pool, etc while someone stays in the room. Our keys demagnetized several times so we had to get several duplicates during our three day stay. The staff was very accommodating; just be aware you need to have a key for every person in your room that would want to use the elevators, etc.

I stayed an extra day, and my flight didn't leave until long after check out. I was able to leave my bags with the concierge, and was granted a key that would work for the general areas, for the day, which was much appreciated. I didn't ask if they have courtesy rooms (I'm sure they do), but it was unnecessary because the locker room by the pool has a shower, etc if you need to clean up before heading out.

There is a shuttle for the grocery store, but as I arrived too late the first night to take advantage of it, I just walked to the CVS down the street, across from the Hard Rock. There is also a liquor store on this corner that has reasonably priced beer, etc (especially versus stores on the strip). This worked out great for us, as we had only two people for a few days. If you have a larger group or are staying longer, it's a pretty long walk with an armful of bags, so take the shuttle (unless you really want a great workout).

As has been the case in all but a few rare exceptions with Wyndhams, the wifi at the resort is spotty. If this is important to you, there is a business center that always had available computers when we visited, and also had a printer (a plus for checking in online in advance). I never called the desk to complain about the intermittent wifi, so perhaps it could have been fixed had I asked. The signal was almost always fully available, but seemed to disconnect and reconnect constantly, requiring the user to refresh constantly, and start over often. Not ideal, but hey, it's vacation folks- log off for a bit! Maybe it's just karma making a suggestion.

We didn't have kids with us but did see plenty enjoying the family pool area, as well as the gaming stations in the Activities area.

Had sufficient toiletries and dish/laundry soap, as well as towels. Used the safe in the room and never noticed anything awry.

All in all, we would definitely recommend a stay here, whether you're relaxing at the hotel or headed to the Strip. Great property.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank madfarmersdaughter
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
madfarmersdaug thank you so so much for your very detailed review of the Grand Desert. While I was reading your review I truly felt like I was vacationing at the resort. You were so thorough about our activities, amenities, etc. and I again want to say thank you for that. We do hope to see you and perhaps next time family or friends to enjoy the time in Vegas.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I would rate them 5 stars but my several experiences at the Cafe just won't let me click that 5 star button. Overall, the staff was extremely nice and the stay was great. I loved having a washer/dryer in the room so you don't go home with dirty clothes! Who wouldn't like that?! Now let's talk about their little Cafe in Tower 1. I went there at least four different times during our four night stay. I was annoyed after leaving every single time. You would think I would have learned right? The food was just mediocre and definitely not worth the price but you pay for convenience so I understand that. The girl at the register got super flustered if there were more than two people in line. They had a line one time of about 10 people. My friend ordered a Caesar salad. Every single person (including others who ordered after her) got their food and her salad was nowhere to be seen. She asked them. What do they hand her? A container with lettuce, a package of croutons, a package of cheese and a package of dressing. Now for a $7 salad that's just outrageous but what took so long? You literally put a handful of lettuce in a container and said DIY. Another instance, I ordered chili cheese fries. They forgot the cheese. It's chili CHEESE fries how do you forget a main ingredient? I took it back to the counter. The cashier laughed at me and gave it back to the cook and never spoke to me about it. There was no "I apologize for that" or anything. No words were spoken. Then let's talk about the fact that they charge you for every little thing. A cup of water? I get you have to pay for the cost of the cup but trust me your food prices cover the costs of 100 cups per order. I don't mind paying for water but it just seems silly and especially at a nice place like this. Overall, I enjoyed my visit and would definitely return but I've learned my lesson about their cafe. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ashley900812
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Ashley900812 thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of the Grand Desert. Please accept my apology for the lack of service and challenges you experienced at our cafe. I truly wish you would have contacted our F&B manager at the time of your challenge. We so want to hear all of the great things and challenges you experience while you are with us so that we hope to continue some things and on the other hand fix anything that feel below our guests expectations. Once again I apologize for the experience you encountered at our cafe. We hope to see you and your family and friends again. Please be sure to let us know when you are visiting and allow us to make up for anything you experienced this past trip.
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is gorgeous. We had a 2 bedroom suite which is huge. I loved the layout of the room. The staff was pretty friendly. The pools are gorgeous. There is plenty of room to sit. I would definitely stay here again. The only thing I didn't care for is that you are required to have your room key everytime you got in the elevator. This resort is huge. The parking is great.

Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jenjen523 thank you so much for taking the time to review the Grand Desert. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay along with the accomodations. We apologize for the trouble of using your room key for getting on the elevator but we truly do follow this rule for the safety and security of our owners and guests. Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you and your family and friends again.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel itself is great. The rooms, pool and fitness centre were all great (it may be worth noting there is no free housekeeping service) and the location was good - about a 15min walk to the strip, and there is a shuttle to Harrahs on the strip every 20-30minutes.

Check-in took about half an hour after which we were told our room wouldn't be ready for another hour and a half (granted we did arrive at around 3pm which is before the 4pm check-in time). After check-in we were directed to another desk to collect a 'welcome package' where the man at the desk was telling us that he was going to give us 4 free tickets to see a show "worth over $200" however on closer inspection of the contract he asked us to sign we saw that this was based on the condition that we must attend a "90 minute" timeshare presentation which would include breakfast for the family (which turned out to be very basic). The man at the desk failed to mention the presentation before we signed and we saw it just before signing, so I would advise you to be aware that that us what you are signing for. Anyway, we decided to go to the presentation, just for the breakfast, however it took nearly 3.5 hours of our time and was FULL of high pressure sales and they had absolutely no respect for our decision not to purchase any of the sales they were pitching. It was a really unpleasant and stressful situation and we'd recommend that you do not go to presentation.

The focus of this place is, from our experience, all about sales, and not about the customer. It was a shame because while the hotel itself is great, the pressure of sales from the minute we stepped into the lobby ruined it for us.

We will probably NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Tower 2 is quiet and the pool view is nice.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mathisha D
Mathisha D thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the Grand Desert. I want to start off by saying I apologize for the high pressure sales pitch that you received at the member service desk. Please don't let that experience cloud your coming back to the Grand Desert. We at the resort along with our resort associates strive to make sure that each and every guest once settled has a true grand experience with us. We do appreciate that you did mention and hopefully enjoyed our shuttle and our 3 pools on the property. Thank you again for taking the time and we hope to see you in the future.
Ada, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a 7 night stay in a 2 bedroom and it was perfect. This is better than a 2 bedroom apartment with a wonderful master suite. The kitchen provides all necessary utensils. There are 3 beautiful pools and one that never closes--as Las Vegas never sleeps with lots of chairs. I especially liked the adult pool with water aerobic equipment. . There are many fun family opportunities and the resort has a great movie room, (with scheduled movies), game room and computer lab. A daily shuttle proved priceless, and opportunities are provided for grocery shopping, Fremont Experience, Las Vegas sign photo pop transportation which is much cheaper than a taxi. Everyone was super nice and helpful. Be warned that if you are not a Wyndham group member, you will be seduced to a time share presentation. Three different salespeople visited with us; two guys were respectful, but the woman was rude and even used cuss words, pardon my French, she said. We persevered with no buy-in, $35,000 appeal to emotions and family time, but our time benefitted us an American Express card that provided us many meals. This place is perfect for families and much better than a casino.

Room Tip: We had a stunning view of the strip from west windows and were able to go home with clean clothes th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
59GypsyGirl thank you so much for your very detailed review of the Grand Desert. We are so pleased that our resort and associates exceeded your expectations. It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our activties on the property along with our shuttle that also offers trips to different local hot spots. I do apologize for the behavior of the members service staff. I am glad to hear that you did enjoy some great meals with the gift card you received. I hope that we get to see you and your family and friends again?