“Well maybe not for everyone.........................”

Residence Inn Las Vegas South
Ranked #91 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Well maybe not for everyone.........................”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have to say I am a gold rewards member for years. I have been to these hotels all over the US. Usually there are no issues. This one stands out with some concerns. First, I had to make this reservation through PrICELINE because I needed a flight, car, and hotel (cheaper). I called a couple days prior for a handicapped room because of my needs. When we arrived we got the room literally right off the freeway....okay we Immediately turned on the A/C(its quite warm here). To our surprise it sounded like a jackhammer. Front desk staffer told us our room could not be changed. We stuffed extra blankets and pillows into the "utility" closet to shut that noise off. Apparently this has been a "issue" for this room. Smoking is a big problem with this hotel. Never had this issue anywhere else with this chain. People smoke everywhere. There are no smoking laws in NV cigarette butts and glass everywhere. I paid more to stay at a smoke free facility so don't waste your time. Nice property ruined. We came her for a medical convention. I have no interest in Vegas. The gym is nasty. Carpet ripped and stained equipment not kept up dirty. Had to complain several times about the 90 degree hot air blowing there before they fixed it. No sanitary wipes to wipe down the equipment nada. They have a shuttle but you must have to be a female or say you have to be at the airport to get any kind of service. It is offered every half hour so they say. Front gave staffer gave my husband 20 bucks for shuttle bus staffer forgetting him and calling a cab. Ridiculous. The manager here told me he couldn't help me because I booked the reservation through PRICELINE. What that has to do with poor service I don't know. Again ridiculous. I would book at staybridge. Better TA reviews and balconies there. OH don't plan on washing your clothes here most of machines broke. Front desk person says she knows nothing about that. Apparently she works here. Tried to call corp hdqts hold time toooo long. Poor performance here! Don't waste your time! Oh utensils terrible dull old. They had to find cooking utensils and equipment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GOATHAPPYMEH
Bryan Z, General Manager at Residence Inn Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for staying at my hotel. You approached me the morning after your first night with concerns about your AC Unit. I immediately offered to have my maintenance team inspect the unit however you declined. You stated that you “i a fix.”
We then talked in detail about your concerns with guests smoking outside the hotel. As you know we are 100% non smoking and no guest rooms will ever smell like smoke. We do however allow our guests to smoke outside. Las Vegas does not have any local ordinances regarding smoking outside like other states. As a non smoker myself I understand your concern; however smoking outside is not something we have the ability to enforce. We do have urns throughout the property and clean up cigarettes that are thrown on the ground multiple times daily.
We do have complimentary shuttle service to and from the strip and Drop Off at the airport. We asks that guests arrive 5 minutes prior to the scheduled times to ensure access to the busses.
I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience at my hotel, but as you can see from previous reviews our guests overall rate our service and quality of stay high. Thank you for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Chandler, Indiana
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This place is just wonderful! Staff is so friendly and caring! Great free shuttle to Mandalay Bay and from there you can catch tram, buses, cabs. Hotel is smoke free, calm and relaxing, well cared for and very clean. Pool is so great-you have no idea you're minutes away for the strip. Rooms were great, food wonderful and entire staff went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. This was our second stay at this residence Inn-both times for a week and we're actually heading back in a few weeks. Can't wait to get back to this Residence Inn!

Room Tip: We like to stay on top floor in building 2. Rooms very quiet and clean. Looked like the furnishing...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for being a repeat guest at my hotel! I enjoy the view of the strip but the peacefulness of being away from it. We do offer the shuttle service daily to and from the strip which allows you to have the best of Vegas….The Strip and the Residence Inn Las Vegas South! See you next time!
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn Las Vegas South three nights recently. The stay itself was great but unfortunately I had a bad experience after leaving. I left a couple of blouses in the closet. I admit it was my own fault. I realized this immediately and called from the airport and was told I had to call back. I called back about three hours later and was told I needed to call the next day. I called back 4 times the following day. One of those times I was forwarded to the managers voice mail where I left a message and asked for a return call. Each time I called I was asked for my number and was told someone would return my call. Okay- I probably was dreaming to even think my property would be returned but I certainly didn't need the run around. A simple "Sorry we didn't find it" from the beginning would have been preferred. I have always left a good tip for the house keeper. Maybe that won't happen anymore!!

Room Tip: Dont leave anything upon your departure!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Judy F
Bryan Z, General Manager at Residence Inn Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hi Judy,

Thank you for staying at my hotel. I am sorry to hear about your experience after you left an item at the hotel. We have guidelines in place to ensure any left behind item is secured and kept for our guests. At times when the Housekeeping Manager is not available you may be asked to leave a Voice Message. I am sorry if you didn’t receive a response. Please contact me directly so I can assist you further. Bryan Zeitlin General Manager, 702-795-7378 or bryan.zeitlin@marriott.com as I would like to get some more information on this specific incident.
Crete, Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Even though it had good reviews I didn't expect it to live up to the expectations, but it exceeded expectations. Was very impressed by the level of service that the staff delivered. Everyone was pleasant and cordial. Our points stay was upgraded to a 2 b-room suite, 2nd floor which was perfect for our family of 4. Didn't have a view, but who cares. Couldn't hear any h-way or airport traffic even through it was right next to us. The beds were as comfortable as can be expected (come on, theres' nothing like home, am I right?). 3 TV's and 4 people, so no complaint there. Full kitchen was nice and clean. The housekeeping even did the dishes for us and we were more than happy to leave a $5 daily tip for their hard work (common courtesy folks), especially considering it was a free stay. The shuttle bus was on time, but we decided to drive to the strip (free parking at nearly every mega hotel). Glad we did because it is a long walk between hotels. Breakfast was decent, but the staff really sold it, they all say GM and IS EVERYTHING OK? Makes a big difference. Nice choice of eggs, potatoes, breakfast meat (sausage or canadian bacon each day) and breakfast sandwiches. Even our picky 12 YO daughter found something she liked. Didn't use the pool, kind of chilly on our visit, but it looked clean and well kept. They were actually testing the water when we were there, so no doubt it is well maintained. Marriott should bottle whatever they are doing with the staff at this property and spread it to all their properties. Their guests and stockholders would be very happy. Stay here if you like to be treated well, stay on the strip if you just want to be treated like cattle in the vast corral that LV has become.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your stay experience! I am glad you found our hotel staff pleasant and cordial. We have a great team here and we love being able to provide excellent service to every guest. We are proud to work and serivce our Residence Inn Guest!
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I wouldn't say this is the best Marriott you'll spend your money on. But, it was what you would expect from a Marriott. The service was great from the staff, the breakfast was good, and the location is nice for younger families who need a break from the strip atmosphere.
I've stayed at the Residence Inn at the Hughes Center, and this one seemed better to me on all accounts. But, both are in need of some room updates. It's interesting because you drive up to the hotel, and it looks new and nice on the outside. But, the rooms are just a little old and almost gave me that 'budget' hotel feel.
Again, the staff were great and had the room prepared how we asked before we arrived. I had no issues at all while I was there. Well, there was one issue.
One thing to consider if you're a light sleeper is the noise of airplanes taking off from Mccarran Airport. That woke me up in the morning, and basically prevented me from sleeping that well once that began. They take off every couple of minutes. So, not a good thing if you would like a good night's sleep. Maybe I was in a bad location of the hotel, but I can't imagine the sound was any better in another section of the hotel.
I can't necessarily speak for the single, vegas-goer. But, I actually like the Springhill Suites Marriott a little better. The Springhill Suites has much better breakfast options(can you tell I really like food?), better pool, and much cleaner and modern feeling rooms. This Residence Inn has much better parking though. And, you get a one-bedroom for about the same price as the Springhill Suites.
This is assuming you don't have or don't want to spend money on the 'nicer' category of Marriotts in the area like the Cosmopolitan(It is a Marriott). I've stayed at the Cosmo as well, and it's awesome. But, not worth the money if you're there with a young family.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for staying and sharing your Experience. I am glad you found our hotel be great to stay at while traveling with your family. For light sleepers we do offer ear plugs at the Front Desk. I look forward to having you back the next time you are in Las Vegas
Goa
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Our stay was excellent from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Everything was clean, the suites are amazing. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is not so great but we wanted some quiet time off the strip so the location was something we were looking for. Then have shuttles running in every 30 min to Mandalay Bay and NYNY. so if you need to go to the strip anytime you always have a way out.

I loved the morning breakfast!!!

We can't wait to visit again. Had a great time. ..

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Bryan Z, General Manager at Residence Inn Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for staying and sharing your feedback! I am glad you enjoyed staying at my off-strip hotel which provides complimentary shuttle service every 30 minutes to Mandalay Bay and hourly service to NYNY. Next time you stay, you can even take our shuttle to Town Square Mall and we do Airport Drop Offs!
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Residence Inn to attend the Interbike Trade show held at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. The location for our purpose was excellent and we appreciated the prompt & courteous shuttle service to the Shark Reef entrance. It was literally a breath of fresh air to stay at a non-smoking and non-casino hotel.

The staff at this hotel is second to none. We never passed a single employee, from the front desk to housekeeping, without encountering a greeting. Brian has an exceptional team of employees.

The property itself could use a bit of attention. When I checked in, we were "upgraded" to a one bedroom unit from a studio suite. Unfortunately, the one bedrooms do not have a king size bed, and the walls make the space quite cramped, so it wasn't a plus. Upon getting to the assigned one bedroom, it smelled damp and moldy. The carpet in the corner of the bedroom by the a/c closet was literally white (the carpet color was dark green if I recall.) I went back to the desk and they promptly assigned me a 4th floor studio with a king, the room I had a reservation for (and supposed guaranteed bed type as an Elite.) It was much better than the one bedroom.

The property itself is showing quite a bit of wear & tear. Carpets in the hallways were ripped and literally threadbare in places. Sheets on our bed had several holes. Our iron didn't work although one call and a new one was promptly delivered. The keycard entry to our building was quite touchy and often it took several (as in 5+) swipes to gain entry to the building.

Breakfast was wonderful and the hotel made use of an adjoining meeting room to set up the waffle station, eliminating some of the congestion at the breakfast buffet. All of the breakfast staff was pleasant and helpful.

Upon checkout, my final bill was incorrect. Apparently when I was "upgraded" at check-in, my nightly rate went up by $10. Whoops. If I didn't know my quoted rate and draw the clerks attention to the error, I would have been overcharged. To his credit, Brian (the G.M.) assisted the clerk to take off the additional charge and correct the taxes. He stated that he looked at my reservation and saw in the history the accidental rate adjustment due to the "upgrade" (that I didn't want in the first place.) I'm going with the hope this was an honest mistake, but it left a bad taste for me.

So to sum it up: pleasant staff, non-smoking, non-gaming, convenient to Mandalay Bay option with spacious accommodations and includes parking, internet & breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank sandnsun61
Bryan Z, General Manager at Residence Inn Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for staying at my hotel and sharing your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the customer service I am able to provide.
You were traveling as Marriott Elite Member and as a courtesy you were upgraded to a One Bedroom Suite. Though those rooms do not have king beds they are considered an upgrade as you have a separate living area and extra television. I am sorry that you did not like the setup with the room.
As I explained at checkout there was a computer error while completing your upgrade which caused a slight variance in your rate. As soon as you brought that to my attention I corrected the mistake, again please accept my apologies.
Also, I am aware or wear/tear in our hallway carpet and are working on a maintenance program to repair/replace any damaged area.
I look forward to have you back as a guest in the future.