“okay property, needs a refresh”

Residence Inn Las Vegas South
Ranked #97 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I personally like the RI brand, but found this property to be a bit old and in need of a remodel. The hotel consists of 2 buildings, with the lobby in building A. I had a room in building B and opened the door to find a menu for a local fast food joint that was slipped under the door. That wasn't awful, but when I watched a different menu get slipped under the door a few hours later, I was not amused. The building door is accessible by keycard only, yet menus appear under doors?

The room itself was standard RI, circa 1990's. Everything was in place, clean, and usable, but looked worn and dated. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was small but functional, with the vanity outside the bathroom.

I took the shuttle (which is shared by 3 nearby properties) to Mandalay Bay and then took the tram to the strip. I ended up taking a cab back from the strip, which cost 10-13 dollars. I wish the shuttle went to a better location on the strip, and ran for longer as taxis had trouble finding the RI.

Overall, for the price I paid and compared to hotels on the Strip, I was disappointed, but if the location works for you and you need the kitchen, this property is for you.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to minimize noise
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eric E
Jenny G, General Manager at Residence Inn Las Vegas South, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Eric E,

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Las Vegas and thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our Hotel. The property is a great location for guests that want to be near the Strip but not in the middle of it and with our shuttle, it makes transporation to the Strip much easier! Next time you are in the area, please come an see us again. Thank you again for your feedback!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel is only 10 minutes from the rental car center by the airport and although it's close enough to the strip (you can see it from the hotel), it's far enough to avoid all the traffic craziness in the strip.

Main purpose of our trip was hiking, so we rented a car and drove to Utah, Arizona, California and also to Red Rock Canyon in Nevada. So the location worked perfectly for us. The two times we went out to the strip in the evening, we would take the shuttle provided by the hotel which took us to New York New York one time and to Mandalay Bay the other time. Each time we had a very helpful, courteous driver.

When we checked into the hotel, we were given the choice of a room either facing the courtyard or outside (roads) and the receptionist recommended facing the courtyard, so that's what we chose, but it turned out that our room was facing the outdoor basketball court and we could hear the ball bouncing anytime there was someone playing there, which was quite often. So facing the roads might be better, but I'm not sure.

Cleanliness of the room was excellent.

As for a nearby restaurant from the hotel, we particularly liked Yard House in Town Square, which is only a 5-minute drive from the hotel. They had great craft beer choices on tap as well as excellent wine selections, in addition to great food. We highly recommend it.
Pinball Hall of Fame, which is only 10 minutes away from the hotel, is a unique and surprisingly fun place to visit, too.

Overall, if you're looking for a great, clean place to stay outside the strip, we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dublin2016

Dear 1016cardinals,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations! We strive to ensure the highest standard of service and cleanliness. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I booked online, indicated we had a pet, and recieved an email confirmation of the rate and that the request for the pet room was noted. At check in the desk agent assessed an additional $100 cleaning fee, I was floored, never would have booked the room. He said it was on my confirmation (it was not) and on their website ( I went back again and could not find it) and that it is normal for the area. I have stayed at least ~30 nights in Residence Inns with our pet and have never paid more than $25. I also checked the local hotels around this property, one very high profile casino does charge $100, but most others charge $20 or nothing at all. While they claim to be pet friendly I would classify the property as pet tolerant with a puniative cleaning fee. Not indicating this fee until check in felt like a bait and switch to me. We stayed on a Friday night, they offered to waive the cancellation fee but I could not find another hotel with vacancy given the weekend. They did offer to drop it to $75 but it was still way to much.

The breakfast was good, the room was clean. We did have a closet door that was broken and needed to call for sheets for the sofa bed. The location of our room at the end of the hotel seemed to be right across from the railroad tracks and at the end of the airport runway. Lots of noise, was woken but a plane at 1:30am. Staff was professional in dealing with my concern, actually getting me the number to Marriott customer care to log my concerns about the lack of notification on a $100 cleaning fee.

Room Tip: Ask not to be on the train track / airport side of hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank E34CALYPSO

Dear E34CALYPSO,

Thank you for your recent survey regarding your last stay with us. I am very sorry that you were not informed earlier regarding the pet cleaning fee. To ensure clarity of information, I have double checked our website, as we want to ensure the accuracy of all services. Additionally, we utilize this fee to ensure the proper cleanliness of our rooms for the next guest. We want to ensure that the next guest has the same room cleanliness as you did apon arrival. However, we appreciate you and your furry friend staying with us and we hope to see you during your trip trip to Las Vegas! Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed at this location for 1 week...Nov 9th thru the 16th....A great time. love the shuttle to mandalay bay and new york new york. as well as the return shuttle to the airport. Always on time. The staff is outstanding. After staying there for a week i got to know several staff members very well. i can't name everyone in this post but special mention to Holly & Omar....Everyone was very helpful with whatever was needed. I have stayed in several Las Vegas hotels in the past but for all that the Residencel Inn has to offer it can't be beat...I look forward to staying there 2-3 times in 2014!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have to say I am a gold rewards member for years. I have been to these hotels all over the US. Usually there are no issues. This one stands out with some concerns. First, I had to make this reservation through PrICELINE because I needed a flight, car, and hotel (cheaper). I called a couple days prior for a handicapped room because of my needs. When we arrived we got the room literally right off the freeway....okay we Immediately turned on the A/C(its quite warm here). To our surprise it sounded like a jackhammer. Front desk staffer told us our room could not be changed. We stuffed extra blankets and pillows into the "utility" closet to shut that noise off. Apparently this has been a "issue" for this room. Smoking is a big problem with this hotel. Never had this issue anywhere else with this chain. People smoke everywhere. There are no smoking laws in NV cigarette butts and glass everywhere. I paid more to stay at a smoke free facility so don't waste your time. Nice property ruined. We came her for a medical convention. I have no interest in Vegas. The gym is nasty. Carpet ripped and stained equipment not kept up dirty. Had to complain several times about the 90 degree hot air blowing there before they fixed it. No sanitary wipes to wipe down the equipment nada. They have a shuttle but you must have to be a female or say you have to be at the airport to get any kind of service. It is offered every half hour so they say. Front gave staffer gave my husband 20 bucks for shuttle bus staffer forgetting him and calling a cab. Ridiculous. The manager here told me he couldn't help me because I booked the reservation through PRICELINE. What that has to do with poor service I don't know. Again ridiculous. I would book at staybridge. Better TA reviews and balconies there. OH don't plan on washing your clothes here most of machines broke. Front desk person says she knows nothing about that. Apparently she works here. Tried to call corp hdqts hold time toooo long. Poor performance here! Don't waste your time! Oh utensils terrible dull old. They had to find cooking utensils and equipment.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GOATHAPPYMEH
Bryan Z, General Manager at Residence Inn Las Vegas South, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for staying at my hotel. You approached me the morning after your first night with concerns about your AC Unit. I immediately offered to have my maintenance team inspect the unit however you declined. You stated that you “i a fix.”
We then talked in detail about your concerns with guests smoking outside the hotel. As you know we are 100% non smoking and no guest rooms will ever smell like smoke. We do however allow our guests to smoke outside. Las Vegas does not have any local ordinances regarding smoking outside like other states. As a non smoker myself I understand your concern; however smoking outside is not something we have the ability to enforce. We do have urns throughout the property and clean up cigarettes that are thrown on the ground multiple times daily.
We do have complimentary shuttle service to and from the strip and Drop Off at the airport. We asks that guests arrive 5 minutes prior to the scheduled times to ensure access to the busses.
I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience at my hotel, but as you can see from previous reviews our guests overall rate our service and quality of stay high. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This place is just wonderful! Staff is so friendly and caring! Great free shuttle to Mandalay Bay and from there you can catch tram, buses, cabs. Hotel is smoke free, calm and relaxing, well cared for and very clean. Pool is so great-you have no idea you're minutes away for the strip. Rooms were great, food wonderful and entire staff went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. This was our second stay at this residence Inn-both times for a week and we're actually heading back in a few weeks. Can't wait to get back to this Residence Inn!

Room Tip: We like to stay on top floor in building 2. Rooms very quiet and clean. Looked like the furnishing...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for being a repeat guest at my hotel! I enjoy the view of the strip but the peacefulness of being away from it. We do offer the shuttle service daily to and from the strip which allows you to have the best of Vegas….The Strip and the Residence Inn Las Vegas South! See you next time!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn Las Vegas South three nights recently. The stay itself was great but unfortunately I had a bad experience after leaving. I left a couple of blouses in the closet. I admit it was my own fault. I realized this immediately and called from the airport and was told I had to call back. I called back about three hours later and was told I needed to call the next day. I called back 4 times the following day. One of those times I was forwarded to the managers voice mail where I left a message and asked for a return call. Each time I called I was asked for my number and was told someone would return my call. Okay- I probably was dreaming to even think my property would be returned but I certainly didn't need the run around. A simple "Sorry we didn't find it" from the beginning would have been preferred. I have always left a good tip for the house keeper. Maybe that won't happen anymore!!

Room Tip: Dont leave anything upon your departure!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Judy F
Bryan Z, General Manager at Residence Inn Las Vegas South, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Hi Judy,

Thank you for staying at my hotel. I am sorry to hear about your experience after you left an item at the hotel. We have guidelines in place to ensure any left behind item is secured and kept for our guests. At times when the Housekeeping Manager is not available you may be asked to leave a Voice Message. I am sorry if you didn’t receive a response. Please contact me directly so I can assist you further. Bryan Zeitlin General Manager, 702-795-7378 or bryan.zeitlin@marriott.com as I would like to get some more information on this specific incident.