“Weekend stay at the Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South
Ranked #120 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Weekend stay at the Holiday Inn Express”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for a second time. This time we were traveling with extended family, and had 4 rooms. I was a bit concerned due to some less than positive recent reviews, but we had a wonderful time. My only complaint was that they were unable to put us in 4 rooms close together which was a bit inconvenient, and which I had requested when I made the reservations, but not a big issue.

I'd read complaints of noise issues. We didn't have any problems with noise, other than some road noise as we were in the front of the hotel, facing Russell Road which is a fairly busy street with a freeway on/off ramp. We did have two rooms together, and the room we stayed in was next door to my daughter, her husband, and her one-year old baby. Even though he cried some (according to his Mom), we never heard him, and didn't hear anything from the room on the other side either.

My main reason for returning to this hotel was that I remembered it as being very comfortable. To my relief, that was still the case. The beds were very comfortable (my son remarked that it was the best sleep he's had in a year or more), the room was of adequate size with a king size bed, a comfortable chair for relaxing, and a computer desk. The wifi was a bit slow, but free and adequate for our needs. The bathrooms have wonderful shower heads.

I asked my family, and the general consensus was that all 4 rooms were kept clean and in good repair. I noticed a few places where the wall paper was peeling a bit in the bathrooms, and we had trouble with our door sticking and my room key not working properly, but no major issues. One area that was a little puzzling was that our room had a window air conditioner, controlled from a switch on the unit itself, while the other rooms seemed to have wall mounted thermostats. As a result, we had a bit of a problem regulating the temperature in our room.

We felt the continental breakfast was adequate, and the breakfast room was large and we had no trouble finding two tables close together for all 8 of us. There was a fairly good variety of breakfast foods, from yogurt and cereal to pastries to biscuits and gravy. I've had some breakfasts that I preferred that included a wider variety of fruit and waffles or pancakes, but we managed to eat enough to tide ourselves over until lunch.

There was adequate parking and we had no trouble finding a parking place when we returned late at night following a concert at MGM Grand. My daughter and her family used the pool, and the area seemed to be kept clean, with towels available in bins and lounges available for Grandma and Grandpa to watch the baby splash.

The staff was friendly and asked if we needed anything as we were coming and going. We didn't use the shuttle which runs to the strip, or the fitness rooms so I have no opinions on those.

Especially when traveling with a baby I prefer staying off the strip. The Holiday Inn Express South was a very good choice, and I'd be likely to stay there again on another vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are probably quieter as they don't face the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ute_fan
Sarah w, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear ute_fan from salt Lake City.

We are glad to hear you choose our hotel for the second time on your return visit to Las Vegas. Here at the Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South we commit ourselves to providing clean, comfortable accomodations along with providing excellent customer service. We are the perfect location for families like yours or individuals traveling that do not want the hassle of the strip but who want the amenities of one of the Las Vegas Strip hotels. We appreciate you taking the time to post all aspects of your stay with us and share them with our staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Sarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel, as always, big rooms, good beds, big and clean bathroom.

Rooms have a coffee maker. Beds are comfortable and bathrooms are big and always clean.
Breakfast wasn't very good because there was not much variaty. The hotel has only 2 washing machines and 2 dryers. We had to wait a couple of hours to wash our clothes.

It's close to the strip (mandalay bay), good price and it has a pool.

Overall, great hotel and would totally recomend it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mariawila
We appreciate you taking the time to post your satisfaction with your recent stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Perfect hotel if you don't like the glim and glamor of the strip. I much prefer a nice quiet little place when I am visiting on business, and this hotel fit my needs in a great way. I will suggest this to all my co-workers!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Charles R
Sarah w, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Here at the Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South we appreciate you taking the time to post your comments in regards to your stay with us. Thank you again and we hope to see you this summer.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Why in the heck did I stay at the Holiday Inn Express while in Las Vegas? We're talking one of most amazing places to visit on planet Earth with the most breathtaking hotel / casinos this side of the of the Milky way right? So, again, why stay here?

Well, over the years I've been to almost every large hotel / casino there is on the strip and tired of the large treks to the hotel door from the front door of every one of them. The pomp and circumstance wore me out. The noise of the slot machines wore me out. The smoking wore me out. So, I thought this time I would do something different and stay at a "regular" hotel away from all that. Hey, I know, how about the Holiday Inn Express just off the strip!?

Dumb idea.

This place would be ordinary in any other city in the U.S., but it's simply sub par for Las Vegas. I guess I expected more because of the city it was located in. Certainly it would be better than other Holiday Inn Expresses right? Wrong. I got a mediocre room, mediocre breakfast, mediocre service, mediocre everything. It was kind of dated looking too and sadly located near a seedy "gentleman's" club, looking like a lost dog nobody wanted anymore.

The Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South.... I say "meh".

Room Tip: Here's a tip: Take the rickety elevator from the top floor down to the always-being-mopped-and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Sarah w, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
At the Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South our goal is to provide our guests with great customer service and amenities. We sincerely regret we fell short of this goal during your stay with us. With each comment we receive we use to improve on our services and product. Thank you for taking the time to bring your comments to our attention. Thank you again and we do hope to see you again.
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Agree with other reviewers that this Holiday Inn Express is on the lower end. It's outdated, which is fine, but could have been maintained better. It was clean, but not immaculate, and the common areas were pretty dirty.

I booked a non-smoking room, and when we walked into our first room, it reeked of cigarette smoke. I went back down to the front desk, and they put us in a different room that smelled fine. The manager told me that sometimes the smell of smoke comes through the vents sometimes. I'm surprised that they still allow smoking in this hotel. I thought all of the HIE were smoke free? Anyway, my allergies were terrible for the entire stay. The ventilation system could use some work.

A non-cigarette smell I noticed in the hallway was marijuana. Another problem in the hallway was a strange looking guy hiding out in the stairwell. My husband and I walked out of our room, and he seemed to be lurking suspiciously around the doors. After reporting this to the front desk, I realized that he must have been slipping flyers under the doors and didn't want to get caught because I'm sure it violates hotel policy. This led me to feel unsafe, that there wasn't adequate security at this Holiday Inn Express to keep people who aren't guests out. The entire weekend we were here, I did not feel safe leaving our belongings in the room.

The shower in our room did not drain. I didn't report this until check out, but it was pretty disgusting. The front desk attendant told us that their maintenance guy could have fixed it easily, but I was under the impression they would have to switch our room again and I wasn't about to be moved to a 3rd room.

One big positive of our experience here was the breakfast attendant. She was incredibly friendly, and the food was very good. We've stayed at dozens of HIE, and you would think all breakfasts are the same-- not true! This one was prepared nicely. The cheese in the omelets was actually melted & the sausage was perfect. The weekend breakfast attendant should get a raise!

Overall, we were pretty disappointed in this location. The good did not outweigh the bad, and in a city like Las Vegas there are much better options. I chose to go with an IHG hotel over Mandalay Bay this year, but ended up regretting that decision.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the smoking wing as possible if you are a non-smoker or have allergi...
Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Amanda M
Sarah w, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Amanda,

Las Vegas has many options of hotels for you to choose from when traveling to Las Vegas. We appreciate you in choosing to stay at our hotel. With guests like you it is made possible to achieve guest satisfaction and improve on our services and amenities to our guests. We apologize that we fell short in this instance and management has discussed on ways of improving. However, I am glad to hear that our breakfast attendant was very accomodating and that you enjoyed our breakfast. Thank you and we do hope you stay with us the next time you are in Las Vegas.
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We only stayed one night here, but we stay at a lot of holiday inn express and this one is at the low end and did not meet our expectations. It was clean, had no fridge or microwave. Rooms were smaller. Plus is location for being at the south end of the strip next to Mandalay. Easy access, good parking. Ok for a short stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CocoLoco69
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear CocoLoco69,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. I am glad you liked our convenient location. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
St. George, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights while attending a sporting event. Quiet, away from the noise and congestion of the Strip. Not much in the way of restaurants nearby. It is convenient to access the convention center or the airport.

• Stayed February 2014
GeneralManager45963, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for posting your comments in regards to your stay with us we greatly appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon.