“You Get What You Pay For..”

Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip
Ranked #190 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Nashville, Tennessee
“You Get What You Pay For..”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in Vegas for another night but moved from the Flamingo when they wanted to charge us $350 for Sunday night. The Mrs found the HoJo for $44 so we figured we would try it. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and allowed us to check in early. The location is pretty close to the strip, although set back off of Tropicana which gives it a questionable feel at night. While sleeping you certainly hear your neighbors walking and talking. Overall, pretty much what you would expect. Not awful, but not good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Vegas F, General Manager at Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are truly happy that you found our Inn to be enjoyable and our staff to be so friendly and accommodation. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I spent 3 days in the hotel during the Chinese new year in las vegas.The hotel's location is pretty good.I and my friend can walk to MGM Grand in 5 minute every night.The parking lot is adequate,so we can park our car in front of our room,It is very convenient.The room is not brand new,but it is clean enough.We forgot the cellphone in the room after 3 happy and comfortable days.The staff found the phone,but we have left Las Vegas. The General Manager Mark call me back friendly and mail it to my address.It is definitly amazing memory with theirs excellent service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Vegas F, General Manager at Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are truly happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you appreciated our location as well as our excellent service. We are happy that you had such a wonderful stay and left with an amazing memory of our hotel. We look forward to having you back soon as our guest.
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I was in Vegas for a convention, and needed to economize on expenses. The location of HoJo's was very good for my needs. The staff was friendly and efficient, but everything else was bad. The smell of dust and and old hit my nose as I entered. The carpet undulated over the concrete. The bed sheets and covers didn't fit, and the pillows were whisper thin.

Then, the real bad part. Between the 3/4" - 1" gap under the door, the rattling of the door in the frame, and the way the concrete walkway reverberated as folks came and when all night, it was very loud all night.

Second worse place I've stayed in my life!

Room Tip: For almost no more money, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Vegas F, General Manager at Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I sincerely apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. We are happy that you found our staff to so friendly and efficient. I can assure you that I will check the room that you were in for issues you mentioned. For future reference please call the front desk if you have any issues with your room, we would be more than happy to fix any problems. Thank you again and we hope you come back and see our newly remodeled rooms in a few months.

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I booked my room for a week as it was a package deal. The walls between the rooms are very flimsy and you can hear your neighbors especially if someone is above you it sounds like a herd of cattle. I had to turn the fan on just to try to block ou the noise. Housekeeping was poor as the firt two nights I did not even receive any wash clothes. The last two nights I had to use toilet paper to blow my nose as they left no tissues. They never vacuumed the rug while I was there. Front desk people were very friendly. If it was not for the noise factor I would recommend it but I could not get a good night's sleep at all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your visit. I apologize that your neighbors were not considerate and made too much noise. Our front desk staff is as helpful as they are friendly: for future reference please call the front desk and we would be happy to speak with the other guests. I can assure you that I will look into the items mentioned regarding housekeeping
Elizabeth, Colorado
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I had been on the road for several days traveling across country for my new career as a transporter. My next stop was in Las Vegas, NV and I needed a room for the night at the last minute and for a good price. After stopping by many cheap looking hotels and inquiring in person only to be quoted ridiculously high rates (some triple their advertised rates on signs), I went to the internet to find the best deal. A certain website that will remain nameless (although it rymes with Hexpedia) quoted me a great deal for this hotel I am reviewing now. So I booked, only to see my itinerary pop up and show my check-in and check-out dates for nearly 3 weeks away even though I clearly picked my dates accurately. I quickly called the hotel, they tried to change the dates, but were having trouble due to me booking online. They suggested to call the website and get them to change it and said they would approve the changes if the website ask them. I called the website, was treated very rudely and was finally told the dates could be changed, but the price was going to more than double only because they were making the changes over the phone instead of online. I asked for a supervisor and was hung-up on. This went on a total of 3 more times over the next 2 1/2 hours. Finally I get a phone call. It was a guy stating "the hotel says for you to come to them and they will make it work." When I went in person the hotel manager was very friendly and explained that even though the reservations could not be corrected he would provide me with my room and just leave the reservation alone to prevent the charges from changing.

On to the room... The cons: It was a little tight of a parking lot since I have a very large truck and the smoking rooms are a long way from the lobby. Also the room had a slight stale smell when I first came in (of course just about any smoking room will).

The pros: It had a new memory foam mattress, very fluffy pillows, new flat screen tv, new paint and decor. Overall the room felt nice and very comfy. Also it was the cleanest feeling hotel I visited during my entire cross-country trip. For those of you actually visiting Vegas, it is right on the strip and a short walk to tons of happening places.

Overall: It is not a resort or anywhere you want to impress anyone at by no means, but it is affordable, clean and close to all the action. The biggest pro to me is how the staff went out of their way to make sure I was accommodated despite the extra work on their part and the disclaimer that kept them from being obligated to do so. They did not have to do what they did, but they really made an impression on me by doing so.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Vegas F, General Manager at Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you sharing your comments regarding your experience at the Howard Johnson Tropicana! It sounds like you really enjoyed your visit to our property. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such a great value with our newly renovated grooms. We are truly happy that you appreciated our great service skills, and that the front desk was able to help you change the booking. We hope to have you as our guest in the near future!