Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip
Ranked #192 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The room smelled and the shower and the tub was cracked. The fan in the bathroom was dirty. The carpet was staiined with something red. I hope that it some juice and not blood. I wasn't really comfortable staying there. I will never stay there again. I will pay more and stay someplace else..

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Mchute, General Manager at Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay. I sincerely apologize that you experienced some issues with your room and your stay was anything less than comfortable. I can assure you that we take such comments very seriously and will investigate. Again, I apologize for your inconvenience and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked this hotel because we thought it was the Tropicana Hotel, so ofcourse it was disappointing when we arrived. But it got even worse when we saw the room. The carpet on the floor just totally fell apart and the room smelled like funghi. The tap on the sink was broken: we could not open the plug to let the water out. Someone must have broken it off and just put it back in without reporting it. Also when you open the tap the water splashes out, there was no way that it would pour out gently so everytime we had to use it everything got wet, including us. Another weird thing was that there were two kingsize beds, while we were just one couple. We asked if we could get a room with just one bed, but the receptionist told us that they only had a few for disabled people. The nice pool they show you on the pictures is not as nice as shown. It's kinda crappy and there were no chique chairs to sit on.
We really hated staying here, so we decided to change our reservation and stay at a nice hotel on the Strip for the remaining nights. Best idea ever.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I sincerely apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. I’m sorry you booked our hotel when you thought you booked the Tropicana Hotel. For future reference please call the front desk if you are not completely satisfied with your room the staff would be more than happy to help you find a more comfortable room..

Reviewed 10 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Mchute, General Manager at Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were PASSING THROUGH Las Vegas after a 17 hour drive in 108 degree temperatures on July 3rd, 2014. We decided to stop for the night. We stopped at the Howard Johnsons in Las Vegas just off the strip thinking it was one of the better non-casino hotel/motels to stay. I can't remember ever making such a BAD choice. The clerk was RUDE. She swiped my credit card and then informed me that it didn't go through because I didn't let the CC Company know I was going to be in Las Vegas....REALLY???
I gave her a second card, which she swiped THREE times before it WENT THROUGH Again - REALLY??? If that wasn't enough, I was charged a $100.00 security deposit which I understand is now common in Las Vegas. Okay, it's refundable AFTER they verify I didn't destroy their lovely room. Lovely ---Coffee stained sheets, an air conditioner that had been torn away form it’s base and provided enough of a HOT breeze that you felt like you were sitting in front of a furnace vent, dirty, ripped and shredded carpet, fuzz bunnies and dead bugs so thick along the walls and entryway, it made us wonder if the room had been entered in the last year. The NASTIEST place I have EVER stayed. Thank God I managed an hour or so of sleep before we evacuated the room to begin another long day. By the way, the first Credit Card went through with the room charge AND the Security deposit. I'm watching the second card to see if the night clerk did get the second card to clear and to make sure neither card have EXTRA charges. btw, I'm STILL waiting for my security deposit return. A $100 deposit for a room that I wouldn't have BOUGHT for a ten cents! I have seen the last of Howard Johnsons. Should I find myself needing a room in Las Vegas again I’ll be stopping at Motel 6.

Room Tip: Choose another motel/motel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Mchute, General Manager at Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I sincerely apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. I have checked with my staff and no one was aware of your issues, did you bring any of your concerns to our attention? Again I do apologize and ask that for future reference please call the front desk if you are not completely satisfied with your room. Thank you again and we hope you come back and see our newly remodeled rooms on your next trip.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Mchute, General Manager at Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed for 6 nights at the end of June. Even though the morning sun baked our side of the building, the AC kept us quite cool and the curtains blocked out the bright light. The ice machine worked great and although it was next to our room, we barely heard it,as opposed to many other places I've stayed. The room was clean, cool, and the cleaning staff did a great job working around our days. WiFi worked 95% of the time, shower worked great and we had no toilet issues as some have reported. We were charged exactly what the website said---hate suprise charges on the bill! Honestly, the only complaint I have is that it is a royal pain to get in and out of the parking lot. However, using the giant parking garages at the big resorts is just as bad, so it's a wash.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

We are truly happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us to be such a great value. It sounds like you had a great stay. We are dedicated to your satisfaction and are pleased you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for you’re the great review and for your business. We look forward to seeing you back soon

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights and was great. The room was clean, had been remodeled and beds were excellent. There was a deposit but I guess with Vegas you could expect that. Not too far from strip. The price for 2 nights is what I would have paid for 1 on the strip and when on a budget it is a good deal. A nice pool area. Close to airport but you don't hear planes. This is definitely great place to stay when in Vegas on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Mchute, General Manager at Howard Johnson on East Tropicana, Las Vegas Near the Strip, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience at the HOJO Las Vegas. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms at such a great value. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the immediate future.