“Best sushi I have ever had!”
Review of Kabuto

Kabuto
Ranked #493 of 4,952 Restaurants in Las Vegas
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I have lived and eaten at many of the best sushi places in LA and have dined at some of the best sushi places in New York, and SF and I have to say that this was the best sushi I have ever eaten. It literally melted in my mouth and I didn't want the meal to end. So, so good! I wish I lived closer to this place and go back soon. We had a car but it's close enough to the Strip that a taxi probably wouldn't be too expensive. The service was also amazing. I will definitely make this a priority stop when I come back next time. I got the least expensive version of the omakase and my Mom got the middle priced one and everything the chef served was amazing for both.

1  Thank travelfoodiedc

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Have been to some of the best sushi restaurants in Japan, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London and New York – Kabuto Sushi ranks right up there. I like the fact that it is small and you’re getting not only fresh ingredients, but getting it served right to you at the sushi counter. Had the Yoyoi course. How much you can eat depends on the individual. Each course was unbeatable from the appetizer course, sashimi to sushi. We’re definitely going back next time we’re in Las Vegas.

Tip: When you come into the strip mall off of South Mountain. Kabuto is on the left side of the U-shaped shopping center. No big sign or did not see a sign on the strip mall name sign.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I have been eating Sushi for more than 25 years and have eaten at most of the highest end Sushi Restaurants in the USA (NOBU (3 locations), Nishimura and Urasawa in Los Angeles, Taka in San Diego, Morimoto's in NYC, etc etc. I am always looking for the quintessential Japanese Sushi experience (no rolls, no cream cheese, all about the fish and the perfect balance of flavors, fish, rice, etc.). I found it at Kabuto! I ordered their most expensive package of Omekase and it was less than HALF of what I would have had to pay on the Strip and MUCH better than I could have ever imagined. They even had my favorite....Triangle...from the dorsal fin of a blue fin tuna. No soy sauce at the table. If the chef wants you to have it then he will brush it on your sushi. The restaurant has about 20 seats and they aren't easy to get so make a reservation. If you like California Rolls, Cream Cheese on your sushi, or a roll with a sauce made of mayonnaise then do not eat here. If you love authentic Japanese style sushi, this is the place for you. I cannot recommend this restaurant enough.

1  Thank Geoff_RoadWarrior
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We have been eating at sushi bars for 30 years here, and we have seen quality go from excellent to barely worth the money. They used to be Japanese run and owned, and now that is far from the case. You have other nationalities, esp. Korean, who are trying to "fool" us in to believing they are Japanese, even wearing the traditional hachimaki, (headband with Japanese flag), and TRYING to speak the language. But, that is not really what my point is.
First, the rice. It was overcooked. A really qualified Japanese sushi chef would throw it away before serving it, esp. at these prices.
No nigiri, as we know it, that can be initially ordered by the piece, as you MUST order their "tasting menu" first, and then they will allow you to order ONE PIECE nigiri at inflated prices. We like to "try" a few nigiri out first to make a sound decision before we lay down $200-300.00.
There are not 4 Japanese chefs as some reviewers stated. One is not Japanese.
The nigiri is VERY SMALL!!
We drove around the old parking lot for 10 minutes attempting to locate a spot. It is in a Korean Plaza. Very old and outdated, watch your car doors.
The fish quality was good....BUT, it really does not matter how great the quality is if you have young, inexperienced chefs cutting it. They have a different setup as there are maybe 2 chefs that cut and STORE the fish, and it is used by the other one or two, so it is NOT cut to order. The chef that was cutting our sushi was maybe in his early 20's, and he was muscling the knife. All experienced chefs AND patrons know this KILLS THE FISH CELLS. Ultimately, you wind up with tasteless fish. Also, I would like to add that some of the sushi had a very fishy odor, and that too can be caused by improper cutting. This was most evident with the Bluefin, which none of us should be eating anyway. Google it.
I could go on and on, but I will spare all of you. I would say go once to check it out, and then go to some of the other Japanese owned places in town, and compare. You will save about 30-50% off your bill at some of the other places such as Osaka and Sushi Sake in GVR, which, if you have never had Hashimotosan cut for you, you haven't lived. I will refrain from mentioning some of the other quality sushi restaurants, as it will appear as I am the competition. But, we really do like those 2 places, good service, quality fish, and some, not all, Japanese chefs with alot of experience.
I would also like to add one more thing. I like to go to Sushi Bars for many reasons, one of which is having the ability to converse, not only with the chefs, but patrons alike. There was a "stuffy" unfriendly and TENSE chi in the house. It looks as if everyone is either in sticker shock or they are trying to figure out how they are going to pay for this.
I even tried to ask a few relevant questions to the chef, and he was very standoffish. Do I like to talk peoples ears off, no, but to have some small talk at a sushi bar is my thing, and we found no evidence of this at this place.
In conclusion, I can see how many patrons would be easily fooled into paying high prices when your mind is telling you it is a great place. But, you really have to step back here and ask yourself one question......
Are you willing to pay that price as a regular patron?

5  Thank Sashimi7788
Reviewed 3 November 2013

As soon as you walk into this tiny restaurant you know it's going to be good. Authentic Japanese ambiance. 4 Japanese chef's only four tables and a tiny sushi bar. Three servers. Beautiful simplistic decor. I was expecting great fish but honestly we were amazed at the quality of the fish and the beauty of the presentation. Every ingredient was described by the server and was an expression of the careful attention to detail that has produced the sensational food we raved about.
I won't go into every detail but we had the 80.00 tasting menu which included sake, starter, sashimi, sushi, grilled items, miso soup and dessert. I've eaten at Nobu in new York and Morimoto in Philadelphia both serve superb food but neither can match Kabuto for an authentic Edo period dining experience.

2  Thank Jeffc1948