“The Best in town”

Dining options: Reservations
Las Vegas, Nevada
“The Best in town”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I have been to many, many sushi places. We've been to San Francisco, Hong Kong, Tokyko, Europe. Kabuto is hands down one of the best, if not best edomae sushi places.

We had the omakase and it was worth every penny.

From the home made sake aperitif, to the many different grilled fish, three different cuts of fatty tuna, overall excellent sushi freshness and presentation, and green tea teramisu dessert. . .it was well worth it. Heck, even the sushi rice was superb.

The staff was great and the chefs were super.

Definitely need to make a reservation. The place is hard to find since I guess it is so successful it doesn't really have to advertise.

They get their fish daily from Japan and therefore are closed on Sundays and Japans' national holidays.

• Visited August 2014

Toronto, Canada
“A little rushed . . .”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Okay...I'm going to make an attempt to remember my experience at Kabuto and to effectively share my experience with you. We had made dinner reservations for 6:30pm but we were under the impression that we had made reservations for 7pm. When we got to the restaurant at 6:50, they informed us that our reservations were for 6:30 and they will need our seats to be vacant by 8pm. They didn't give us a hard time about being late and sat us down at the sushi bar (just like we had requested when making our reservation).

We each ordered a “Kabuto Omakase”. I didn't find this place too unique except for the grilled platter - grilled kobe beef, tuna, gurnard, grouper, and the very interesting "princess snail". The snail was one of the more memorable aspects of this meal - it was presented in such a unique way and it complemented the other items so well. A good mixture of textures were presented in this course.

Then following this grilled platter was our sushi course. This was something that was unique compared to other omakase experiences of mine. When we were first seated, we were presented with a list of "fresh items", and during our sushi course, we were given the opportunity to choose two items from this list for our last sushi pieces. Aside from the interactive aspect of getting to pick items off this list, there was nothing too special about this course. By this time, they were really rushing us so our miso soups were served and our desserts came shortly after our last sips.

The dessert was probably my favourite part of this meal; I ordered the custard which was served in a balloon – the texture of this custard was so smooth and it wasn’t too sweet which I liked. Throughout our meal, I did look around the restaurant intermittently and noticed the sushi bar was slowly starting to clear out.

By this time, I was pretty certain they did not need our seats and could have reassured us to not having to rush. Unfortunately, that reassurance never came, and by the time we left the restaurant, it was 8:20 and only 2 seats were occupied at the sushi bar, and no one was waiting to be seated.

Overall, I guess it's worth the value. My time at Kabuto was rushed but the food was alright, and they do make an effort to make it an interactive meal for their guests. I’d go back next time I’m in Vegas.

• Visited June 2014
“Went For Daughters College Graduation”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The food was good but very overpriced. Entertainment was good with the guy doing the cooking..he fed us while cooking...the dressing on salad was not good.. the only thing was it was very expensive for no more food then we got...and they took 18% gratuity and there was only 5 of us.

Vancouver, Canada
“Go for an experience...”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The area where this restaurant is located is so suspect - but lo and behold, the seedy strip mall with massage parlours is also home to 3 of Las Vegas' finest asian restaurants (or so I am told). Our experience at Kabuto was great - but this is not for everyone. Think of this place as a foodie's delight where you choose from one of three pre-set menus, sit back and enjoy the exquisitely prepared Japanese fare. At a big price, of course!

One word of caution - If you have any dietary restrictions or if you are hungry, you cannot go here.

• Visited May 2014
San Francisco, California
“Very nice sushi in a seedy strip mall”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had the Kabuto Omakase. They presented a list of fish of the day and the chef picks the fish from the list for you. I don't remember how many sushi they served, but I was full at the end.

Before serving miso soup the Chef asked me if I wanted more sushi. I like the tamago, so I asked for one more. I didn't realized that it was extra charge. It was only a few dollars, but just beware of it.

I never liked Tuna so I never order it but they were serving a 400 lbs Tuna that night. The texture was amazing. First of all, the color was deep ruby red, not the pale red that you usually see on Tuna. Then, the texture was just smooth and soft, not like beef which was usually compared to the texture of Tuna. They also had a triangle, which I think was just under the fin. It tasted like a o'toro but not as fatty. They said only 1% of the fish can be called Triangle.

Overall, well worth the trip to China Town. It is in the same strip mall as Raku, in between a massage parlor and Big Wang Chinese noodle shop (I know speaking of seedy!) The restaurant is very nice tough. I would definitely go back.

• Visited May 2014