“Great Hotel next to Fremont Street”

Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #74 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We spent six nights at the new Downtown Grand in a City Suite. The room was large and comfortable. We had a great view of the Downtown area. The hotel is literally across the street from the Fremont ST experience. It had two bathrooms which was nice. We did book a room with a jetted tub, but those rooms were not available yet. There is a single shower that really could use a larger shower head. There are two sinks, and a nice mirror for the ladies. It could also use some more available plug ins for all of your portable devices.

The only parking available for the hotel is Valet. You can text them though, and the car will be waiting for you by the time you make it down stairs. The bellmen were fast and friendly. There are several restaurants onsite, and across the street. There is coffee available for free, but you have to go down to the art bar, or a restaurant to get it. If you use their twitter handle @DowntownGrandLV they will respond to questions or complaints which is really nice.

The casino is small but is loaded with slots. We tried the Stewart and Ogden, The spread and Pizza rock restaurants. They are all good and reasonably priced. To be fair, only half of the hotel was open so there will be more restaurant options available in the future. I think if you want to stay downtown, close to Fremont ST in a new hotel you can't go wrong with this hotel. Our friends did have a normal room and they are quite small compared to the city suite. I used my AAA discount and it was a great deal!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rob L
Jan B, VP of Sales at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Hi Rob,

We are so glad you enjoyed your City Suite! We appreciate your review and happy to hear that you experienced all of the amenities we have to offer, in and around the hotel. Please think of us for your next trip to Vegas.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,240)

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Front desk greeting was surly and unorganized. Desk clerks did not appear to understand their input screens and provided no information about hotel features, other than they were going to add $50 hold for incidentals (thinking back now I do not believe there was an opportunity to pay anything for an incidental, nothing was open or working, but my son said it must be for room damages from the rowdy youth that the hotel was designed for). Again on leaving the desk clerk was all ready to collect even though it was on my card and is automatically processed at every hotel I stay at. He must have gone through 4 or 5 screens before he decided that it was OK for me to leave the property. The only other instruction I received at arrival was that the elevators were down there. The elevators are down the corridor and around the corner to the left. Almost immediately after the doors on the elevator opened they started closing (this happened every time I used the elevator).
The room was clearly the latest boutique. You can not miss looking at yourself in the slanted hung 7' by 4' mirror. TV was large and very high definition but was locked on an opening menu. During stay it repeatedly locked up which I believe was because of poor system setup and missing content. This hotel has real problems with technology. When I sat down on bed it slide off its platform. This sliding of bed during stay happened several times. It was a large futon mattress type of bed but apparently they haven't figured out how to keep the occupants safe (honeymooners be warned).
Housekeeping was excellent and the room was very clean.
When they figure out how to use a computer and implement what their hotel directory says they offer than this hotel may be a good value but they have quite a ways to go.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank WorldVisitor
Jan B, VP of Operations at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We rely on our customer feedback to achieve our objective of offering a high level of service. Judging by your experience it seems we fell short in several areas. We continue to focus on our training and endeavor to improve every day. We are addressing all of your observations immediately. I appreciate your positive note regarding housekeeping and have shared it with the team. I am confident we can show you the true Downtown Grand experience and would like to reach out personally to discuss. Please feel free to call 702-719-5100 and ask for the VP of Operations.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

The Downtown Grand just opened and I loved it. The rooms are fabulous, the casino is perfect and the food wonderful. This is the place I will stay when I am in Vegas.I am looking forward to the next visit where I can experience the PICNIC area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Stacy,
Thank you for your review of Downtown Grand! We are happy that you enjoyed your experience with us, and look forward to having you stay with us on your next visit to Vegas.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Booked this hotel last minute over holiday weekend. Great Value and definitely the best downtown hotel! Very friendly staff that makes you feel welcome and very nice remodeled rooms. Great location, close to freemont and all the action. No self-park, valet service made it easy. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kristin,
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Downtown Grand! As you already know we have great amenities to offer and so glad you were able to experience all of the conveniences. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Spent four days here during the World Food Championship and were very pleased with the room quality and helpful/ friendly staff. Downside: On west side, you'll get the thumping of live music from the biker bar below. We switched to a east side room and much better but there's some late night weekend live loud music on that side also. They do provide ear plugs in the rooms....
This is one of the better hotels in the down-town area and central to everything.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ColoradoChilidog
Jan B, VP of Sales at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Hi ColoradoChilidog,
We hope you enjoyed the World Food Championships! It was a pleasure having you as our guest and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please think of us when planning your next trip to Vegas.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband, two year old, and I stayed at the Grand and it was great. We first checked into another hotel and immediately checked out. We then headed to the Grand and the place rocks! Our room was modern and smelled clean and fresh. The staff was so friendly and we really enjoyed the valet service. The hotel was close to all of the downtown attractions. We also ate at the Red Mansion, Chinese restaurant, it was some of the best Chinese food we have ever had. I highly recommend the Grand and would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Diana S

Hi Diana S,
I am so glad to hear that you and your family had a pleasant experience! We are excited about our new hotel and all of the great amenities we have to offer. So glad you enjoyed Red Mansion as well (: Hope to see you again on your next trip to Vegas.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

The standards for Downtown Vegas are increasing at a steady rate. The days of old when dingy downtown Vegas attracted only the middle class Midwesterners who wanted the $3.99 prime rib specials have disappeared almost as quick as the middle class itself. The newest addition to the downtown area is the Downtown Grand. Located just off the Fremont St Experience, the Grand as I call it, boasts a new casino and freshly remodeled rooms. Once known as the Lady Luck, a $200 million renovation has transformed a shady old hotel to a new and different style resort. I say resort for a reason, and hear me out. This is not the Mandalay Bay or Cesar’s with the shopping, huge pool, 57 restaurants, 2 massage parlors and strip club that only the whales know about. The Grand is however a small little town. The pool, yet to open but I did get a behind the scenes look, restaurants, bars and gambling offered a nice intimate resort style feeling. TO make a long story short the following are some of the highlights:
• Being off of Fremont allowed us to sleep. There was no “boom boom pow!” all night long with the bands below
• The rooms are spacious. I really enjoyed the red coloring.
• Large new flat screen TV to take my mind off of my hangover in the morning while I wait for my wife to finish getting ready.
• A toilet and shower area that is separated from the female preparation arena that is constantly being occupied. This allowed for some privacy for my personal time in my office without being told to hurry up so she can finish applying her miracle creams.
• The shower is a walk in style. I have no need for a regular sized bathtub to try and take a relaxing soak. If I need that I upgrade to a suite with a bigger tub. I was pleased with being able to get in, get out and get on my way.
• The pool area is great. Not packed with lounges and has a grass feature. It is called “Picnic” and does have that picnic feeling. Hopefully it will be 21 and Up. I also hope that it will have a guy grilling hotdogs and hamburgers. It would complete the 1950’s estate barbeque feel.
• The styling is very appealing. It is not for everyone, as it is a rustic mid-20th century feel. There are no opulent canvas awnings protruding above the tables, nor are there gaudy vertical stripped chairs. It is look urban. It looks sturdy, and with how much I like to have fun sturdy is a good thing!

The only negative is the size of the actual casino. For being a smaller casino it is definitely apparent what clientele the gaming was marketing towards. There was a distinct aura to attract the Asian gambler. This is not a racial motivated statement. This is based upon travel to casinos in Asia and seeing similar slot machines. Also the large baccarat room is a dead giveaway. I would think that with the styling of the casino the market would have been a little more towards the locals or the late 20’s to early 40’s demographic that has a little party, but can still keep it from getting ghetto.

All in all we were impressed enough to keep up with a party for 24+ people planned for April.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cgarmer

Hi Mr. Garmer,
I am so glad you enjoyed your recent visit with us and was able to experience the nice amenities we have to offer. We are excited to host your group event with us in April and I look forward to helping you with the planning (: