“Just off Fremont in DownTown Vegas” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #80 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Torrance, California
“Just off Fremont in DownTown Vegas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We received vouchers for a free two night stay and decided to take advantage. Free is a little bit of a misnomer because they still charge you an $11.00 "Convenience Fee" plus tax which brought our two night stay bill to $25 and change. Still a good deal.

My wife and I left the kids at home. While Vegas has tried to become more child friendly in recent years it is very difficult to gamble when bringing your little ones.

The Downtown Grand is a one minute walk from the Fremont Experience in downtown Vegas. It sits just behind the Fremont.

The casino is small but so is most of the downtown casinos. The benefit to downtown is the ability to wander to dozens of other casinos within minutes. I prefer downtown to the strip because of the distance between the various casinos on the strip. It is quite a trek to move from one casino to another on the strip.

If you can ignore the carpet color scheme, the rooms actually quite nice for a downtown hotel. The room seemed larger than most standard hotel rooms and appeared to be recently remodeled.

Free parking is directly across the street in a standard downtown Vegas parking structure. Valet is supposed to be free but I have never liked to valet my car so did not use the service.

There is a good selection of eating places all within walking distance. Many downtown casinos have buffets and all are close. There are two restaurants within the hotel and a sandwich shop next to the sports book, no buffet. We did not eat at any of these so cannot comment on the food quality.

There are complaints about the noise from the biker bar across the street but we did not hear anything. Of course our room was on the opposite of the tower from the bar. However, there was a private party at the pool one night that did generate noise until 2:00 a.m.

Overall, the room was very comfortable and the hotel is nice. It is extremely close to the Fremont experience and all of the downtown casinos but far enough away to not get any of the Fremont noise. It is well situated if you like downtown and is only 10 minutes from the strip for people who want to partake of the bright lights.

I would recommend the Downtown Grand as a place to stay and then spend your time casino and buffet hopping along Fremont.

Room Tip: Our room was on the south east side of the tower, opposite of the biker bar. We did not experience...
5 Thank Bob B
Jan B, Director of Sales at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Bob B,
Thank you for being our recent guest! We appreciate you giving a chance to show you what we have to offer. Glad to hear it went well (:

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I received an add in the mail with a bunch of Ben Franklins, you know, hundreds, but larger and more grand. The Downtown Grand Hotel sent me an offer for two complimentary nights at their hotel. I live in Tucson, Arizona and it is just a little over four hundred miles from there and I love the drive. I called to verify reservations and made plans to go there as a sort of family get away. When checking in, the valet service was great, but busy, and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room on the 8th floor was very nice, very clean and the beds were truly confortable. When we got settled, we went to check out the casino and I spent some time there. I won some and the atmosphere was just what the doctor ordered. We were just steps away from the Famous Freemont Street where everything is happening. I love the location of the Downtown Grand and if I could, that could be my home in Vegas. I have been in many Vegas Hotels, but this fine Hotel is right in the heart and soul of this town that never sleeps. It's Vegas at it's best. Oh, and the perks from points are generous and worthwhile. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Always ask the hotel management where the quietest rooms are when checking in and remember that you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jack B
Hi Jack B,
Thank you for the great comments! Glad to hear you took us up on our offer and got some luck in the casino (: We look forward to having you back with us soon.
Intervale, NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for my husband's birthday. He is a choice Diamond member (meaning over 50 nights in the last year) It was also his birthday. They did not offer an upgrade and this was a weekday and they were not close to being full. New hotel built where Lady Luck was. Pool very small for so many rooms. Pillows rock hard. Away from the hustle and bustle and trash of Fremont Street, downtown is going to the dogs. We asked for and promptly received a small frig in the room. Coffee served in lobby but only until 9:30 a.m., who gets up that early in LV? Casino not as noisy or smoky as others in the area. Art Bar has 1/2 price drinks and apps from 5 - 7 p.m. If comped we would consider staying there again but bring our own pillows!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MeaganLeigh
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

First time in Las Vegas with a family and stayed in this convinient place for three nights and had a very good sleep. It is on the 3rd street but use the 4th street to get to the hotel as the 3rd street is closed for entertainment activities which are great to see. Street shows, concerts, gift stands..etc. Convinient parking, fast check in. There is a cafe on the ground floor to get something to eta or drink. Other eating places are close by.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cihat
Dear Cihat,
Thank you for your great comments! We hope to have you back as our guest in the near future.
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Had gambled here in April and they sent me 2 free nights. I went back in June and was pleasantly Surprised. I had stayed at the Lady Luck years ago so was pretty anxious to see what they had done. I was very happy with the room (NE corner 14th floor of main tower) it was quiet and newly remodeled. Had kind of a goofy old chair and dorm fridge, but they served the purpose. Bed and TV were new and had wifi. Shower took some getting used as ultra modern with half a door and water always got on floor. But not my problem. Far enough from the Fremont street from the trash(AND OH WHAT TRASH THERE WAS) I had not stayed down there in a while! Pool on 3rd floor was real nice. Check-in was fast. People friendly! Did not eat there but all eateries looked pretty nice. Will stay again Hope they make it work.

Room Tip: Had a room in the main Tower! Request this or have to stay across street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Secondcrk
Hi Secondcrk,
Thank you for taking us up on our offer! Glad to hear you had a good stay and we hope to have you back as our guest in the future.
DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was my first stay at this hotel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The pluses: Rooms are very nicely done in hip colors, very comfortable beds, large screen TV, good amenities in the bathrooms. The location is great – only a block from Freemont Street and I was on the 18th floor and heard absolutely NO NOISE from Freemont or Hogs and Heifers. The pool was very nice, but small. The negatives posted on here didn’t bother me at all – the water caused by the “half” shower door (put down the bath mat!) and the noise from the room door slamming (in some hotels, you have to pull/push the door hard to get it to close; I’ve left the door ajar in other hotels! I'm glad the door shuts hard!). A few negatives at this point 1) the staff are NEW and didn’t provide good information at check in -- my room was in the tower across the street and only accessible across the skybridge on the 3rd floor. The skybridge is most easily accessible by escalator beside check in; they directed me to the elevator, but didn’t explain to get off on 3 and cross the bridge. I went to the 18th floor in the MAIN tower – upon returning to the front desk, someone else had the same problem. I read online they had free coffee in the morning (which they do), but the staff directed me to the commissary where there is a charge for coffee. 2) The 2 free bottles of water in your room is only for the checkin day, but if you catch the maid and request it, they’ll give you more free water (seems they could just give it daily without asking!). 3) The ice machine was on the 20th floor (not on every floor). 4) Valet – it was a 25 minute wait the first time and 10 minutes the second time. They told me I could text them my valet receipt number and it would be waiting when I came down – seems like a bother, hope they can make this more efficient. Overall, I would definitely stay here again – I found the staff very nice, the dealers helpful, the room was great, and there are only a few kinks to work out. I will return!

Room Tip: A high floor in the tower opposite the main tower/casino
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LockerRoom
Jimmy P, Vice President of Operations at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear LockerRoom,

Thank you so for your detailed review of your stay. I am pleased to hear you will be returning and appreciate your comments. It is comments such as yours that will enable us to better inform the staff and avoid future inconveniences from occurring for our guests.

Jimmy Palmer
Vice President of Operations
Santa Maria, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed in a premium room at this location four nights and LOVED this hotel. The service was excellent! Our room was newly decorated and very comfortable with free WiFi. They serve free coffee at the little bar area off the lobby every morning and free bottled water in the room. The Commissary restaurant has daily specials and the food is delicious. If your room is in the tower above the Commissary, you can take the elevator directly to the restaurant. This hotel is located a block off of Fremont, so the noise of the nightly light show is not a problem. We loved being able to walk to any location on Fremont Street. The slots in the casino kept me entertained and I could sit at them for a long time without losing! Loved this hotel/casino and would stay there again next time we go to Las Vegas! GREAT CHOICE!

4 Thank Joanne H
Dear Joanne H,
Thanks for the wonderful comments! It is great to hear you had a pleasant stay. Looking forward to having you back with us soon.