“No more Strip for us!”

Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #83 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

First word = WOW! My partner and I visit Vegas at least 4 times a year and have always stayed on The Strip. No more - the Downtown Grand has changed us. "How" you ask. It's simple a) easy to get to from the I-515 b) GREAT VALET and FRONT DESK staffs c) the casino crew surpasses all others we have come across in our trips to various Strip casinos d) the casino is not smokey or "smelly" and e) the rooms are great - we stayed in a King - One Bedroom Suite with a living room and 2 bathrooms. Our stay started on Thursday and ended on Sunday and we were not bothered by the noise and we were in the tower across the street on the 5th floor but our suite faced the back so not right above the H&H. The hallways were quiet and from what the Front Desk told us they were sold out while we were visiting. The Freemont Street Experience is very "colorful" and we enjoyed the music, "sights" and the SLOTZILLA (another review coming). So why not a 5 rating? The food options are not too varied, the venues are small, and these staff members were not on top of their game - slow food delivery. Now lets address the coffee issue that seem popular. We don't do in-room coffee because we prefer the taste of "real brewed coffee" and you can get that at the Art Bar, The Commissary or sitting in the casino. No biggie!
All-in-all we have a new Vegas home and are looking forward to our next visit! Thanks to all for making the Downtown Grand really a grand stay!

Room Tip: Requests for "quiet rooms" are honored.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffbo1962

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I'm still here at the Downtown Grand but felt compelled to review the place as I've had a pretty dfferent experience to most other reviewers.

As a property, the DTG is small but this makes it easy to get around compared to other Vegas hotels. The room itself is clean, new and comfortable. I asked for a quiet room and got one on the 16th floor, facing the mountains so had no noise issues. Weirdly, there's a ironing board leaning against the wall with nowhere to put it (wardrobe, cupboard etc). In-room Wifi is average speed but works well enough. There's no hairdryer and really minimal amenities, that's where the hotel generally is lacking overall - looks nice enough, the execution of service, amenities etc is lacking.

House-keeping is hit and miss. Every day for a week there was a different issue - no towels, no shampoo, no complimentary water (ever!) etc.

Nice pool but limited sun loungers so be prepared for this. Plus insanely loud music - way beyond any other Vegas pool I've known (and this was particularly true Monday - Wednesday, it was quieter at the weekend weirdly!).

Eating options are really limited here but Fremont is just a few steps away.

In short, for a functional stay with a really discounted rate, I'd stay here again. Otherwise, I'd choose somewhere else. The theory of a great product is here but the execution is seriously lacking: food, customer service and housekeeping specifically.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the taller tower, on a high floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Rebecca F
Jan B, Director of Sales at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2014

Hi Rebecca F,
We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us. This helps us to improve in certain areas and focus on creating 'grand' experiences! We hope you consider for your next visit.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our first night did not start of well. We were on the 5th floor in a corner room facing Hogs & Heifers. The music was so loud from the bar that I could even understand the lyrics to the songs playing. We went to the desk to ask for a room change and were moved to another corner room on the other side of the main tower.. floor 15. This room was excellent. We were lucky enough to score a room with a bathtub (most have showers only) which also made the new room so much more appealing to us. The room was spacious and clean and the bed and pillows were very comfortable.

I've noticed in other reviews that some have mentioned how scary it was to walk from the Grand to Freemont street. This was not my experience at all. My husband was tied up at a conference for the 6 days we were there. I was on my own more than I wasn't and made that walk at all hours of the day and night alone and never felt like I was not safe.

We will definitely be staying here again. :)

Room Tip: Avoid any rooms near Hogs & Heifers if you plan on sleeping at night!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moviejunki
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at the downtown grand for one night on our way through Las Vegas. Let me start off with checking. I was told that the pool was closed for the day however I was not told about that when I made the reservation. When it's 106° out it's nice to be able to go into the pool. I was then told that they were out of their coupon books which help offset the ridiculous resort fee that they charge. We then had to make our way up the escalator over the bridge down the hallway to the elevators which took us to our floor while our luggage was in tow. The setup is ridiculous.

The rooms are small but nice. The shower is very strange in that it is left half open which is a problem because it gets chilly while taking a shower. When the shower is enclosed, it helps keep the heat in. The beds were fairly comfortable and the room was functional although the armoire was already broken.

The room was comped and that is the only way that I would stay here again. There are many better choices downtown and on the strip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear love2travelbigtime,
Thank you for your recent review of Downtown Grand. Your feedback is very important to us as we know you have many choices. We hope you give us another chance in the future!

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We started our holiday by staying on the strip, but finished it at the Downtown Grand in Las Vegas. Of the 5 hotels we stayed at on our holiday to the States, This was our favourite. The rooms are well appointed and spacious. The rooftop pool area is gorgeous and the whole place feels like it should be more expensive! It's close enough to Fremont Street to walk there in 2 minutes but far enough away not to be disturbed by the noise! All 5 of my party say they would definitely come back here again!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank PAUL C

Dear Paul C,
We appreciate your great review! We know you have many choices and appreciate you choosing us for your recent visit. Please think of us in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just a great feel to this Hotel. Had just one problem and that occurred at check-in. They sent me to a room that was already occupied by two women. Believe me if that was caught on tape of me entering their room, with them screaming then me I would be a rich man! Went back down stairs to the front desk and told them what happened. They where very accommodating and tried to
give me a free up grad but couldn't cause the place was full, they did however refund me the 4 night resort fee at check out. Room and maid service was great. Very clean hotel and casino. Casino didn't smell of smoke and the bar called "The furnace" had the best bunch of bartenders I have ever encountered in Vegas and I have been coming here for 35 years. The whole staff from house keeping to the gals working the floor are just great.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back of the hotel. It is quite
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have been an executive for Marriott hotels for almost 10 years, so I'm very discerning about hotels. Typically, I stay at one of the Marriott or Hilton offerings in the area, but couldn't find as good of a deal as I wanted for my stay, so I turned to Priceline. This hotel came up, and definitely set off the "Too good to be true" alarm, but the reviews were solid (8.5 out of 10 rating), so I took the chance and booked it. It turned out to be an incredibly good decision! The hotel was beautiful, and I (surprisingly) LOVED the downtown location (near Fremont St.). The only downside is that the staff was just "OK" (professional and attentive, but not overwhelmingly friendly), but, other than that,the stay was flawless. The rooms were nicely appointed with TONS of countertop space in the bathrooms, and there were several on-site restaurants and bars to choose from. "Picnic", which is their themed Rooftop pool and bar, looked AMAZING (I spent time to look around, but did not have time to stay)- definitely something that I will make time for on my next visit. Also, as far as value, this hotel would get 6 out of 5! Taking "value" out of the equation, this hotel would have received a 4-4.5 (because I only reserve a perfect 5 for an absolutely perfect hotel), but the VALUE is what bumped it up to a five! On a weekend (Thu/Fri/Sat) in July, I paid just over $70 a night per room! Which was LESS than my employee discount at any of the Marriott hotels (not to knock them, just a busy time). So, do yourself a favor, and just book it! I will DEFINITELY return!

Room Tip: The hotel is about 25 stories tall- why not request a high floor? Also, I did notice that there are...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elliebeast

Dear Elliebeast,
Thank you for the review! It is great to hear from a fellow hotelier that the stay was an enjoyable one. We appreciate the feedback as well. Please think of us for your next visit!