“Pleasant Surprise”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Paradise
Description: Cuban food.
Reviewed 28 January 2016

Three of us went there just to see what it was like. The place is very nice inside even though the parking lot doesn't look like much. We got there about 6pm, and by the time we left (maybe 7pm?) it was starting to fill up.
There was a special that we later were told was most nights the same. It was a small filet, rice and beans, and the steak was in a pepper sherry sauce. My two friends both got this.
I got the Lechon Asado (pork) with yellow rice. It was to come with beans and rice but they let me substitute the yellow rice. Also served to the table was a kind of warm, puffy bread. Crisp on the outside, and soft and wonderful inside. My pork was tremendous. Couldn't ask for more. I'd recommend NOT getting a side salad (extra cost). We didn't and I'm glad as I was full afterwards.
I did try my friends steaks. Wow! Melt in your mouth nice! I highly recommend both meals. I'm not sure how cuban the steak is, but it was superb.
The steal meal was $15.49 I believe. My pork dish was $15.95. I'll tell you what. I'll definitely be back and recommend that people try this place. Service was a bit slow, especially since it was not crowded, but worth it. Again, it was nice inside. I'd NOT recommend shorts or t-shirt. But jeans and a button up shirt is perfect.

Date of visit: January 2016
1  Thank pspoker

Reviewed 1 January 2016 via mobile

I stopped in here on a whim with my family of four. Everything was very tasty....well seasoned. The service was friendly. From the media noches to the maduros to the tapas to the flan...everything was delicious. The place may not be the most chiq restaurant you'll go into, but they make some good grub.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 1 January 2016

Stopped in for happy hour. We had the plantain chips w/garlic sauce (so good....no vampires that night) empenada and plaintain cups with shrimp. Fun unique dining experience.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 5 November 2015

Much has changed in the 6 plus years since we last graced this restaurant's premises including a move to larger quarters a few doors down from its old location. Shortly after taking a seat, a basket with warm slices of Cuban bread were delivered to our table. My wife ordered mango salmon which was accompanied by yellow rice and a mini salad. I went with the tasting plate that included ropa vieja, lechon asada, and polla tequila that included morros & Christianos and maduros. Portions are large so neither of us could even think about dessert this evening. Prior to exiting I told the owner to compliment the chef because the food was much improved over our last visit.

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed 31 October 2015

We interacted with Cuba Cafe, as they were moving to their larger, current location. I visited their soon to be new location and purchased a few pieces of restaurant equipment. A young Mexican couple, *name redacted*, were working for the owner of Cuba Cafe and the Landlord, and Owners of Sergio's Italian Restaurant, Across the street, Mr. Napoli and his Daughter. The restaurant was absolutely filthy. There were roaches and grease everywhere. The couple were on their hands and knees cleaning and scraping, with grease and rotten food covering their bodies and faces.
They told me that they are homeless and that they have lived and will live in the restaurant, until they finish cleaning it up and repainting it. They explained to me that Cuba Cafe had not paid them for any of the work. After complaining to the Landlord they were told, by the Landlord, in my presence, that he would pay them with the old broken greasy equipment that they were able to clean up, regardless of what Cuba Cafe does. Basically, they can keep the equipment fix it and sell it. I decided that I would help them move and clean up the equipment, outside of the restaurant. I was well aware that they could not sell the equipment, in this condition, and that it would take a few months to be sold.
We rented a large u - haul truck. We were in the processes of moving the equipment onto the truck when the owner of Cuba Cafe, *name redacted*, brought over the Landlord and told the couple that he made a new deal with the Landlord for some of the equipment, *the desirable pieces that worked*, and that they were evicted immediately, for continuing to complain about getting paid, that if they don't leave the property the police will be called.

They were not paid, and were once again homeless. I let them borrow the u haul until they could find a place to store the few pieces of damaged nasty equipment that they were allowed to keep. After 2 days, they could not find a place to store the equipment and were living in the u haul. I ended up storing the equipment for them for a year. They were given a key to the storage unit. They never came back and I don't know what happened to the married couple. I have not spoken with them since.

You can't hire people, without pay! That is slavery. I don't care if they were drug addicts, criminals, or etc. I'm sitting here tearing up thinking about what they did to these good people. If you have money, pay the poor what they deserve. These people did a very good job cleaning up his restaurant. If you've been there, just remember who cleaned it up. They did an amazing job. They should have been paid, not thrown out.

Date of visit: November 2014

Been to Cuba Cafe Restaurant? Share your experiences!