“Great non casino business hotel”

Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel
Ranked #73 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 July 2009

stayed one night for business. Great off strip location - smoke free, no casinos - which is a major bonus. Concierge lounge is very nice - enjoyed a drink in the evening plus a quick breakfast before my work. Thoroughly enjoyable - gelt safe the entire time - important to female solo business travelers. The pool is very small - but lovely to sit at in the very hot evening - it would probably be unappealing to those with kids. Clean,great staff and nice room decor.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,748)

Reviewed 30 July 2009

My friend and I checked in on Thu 07/16/09 into a double room (two Queens). The next day, two more friends joined us and, as one of them went to replace the sheets in one of the beds with the ones she had brought from home, we found a pair of men's underwear and pijama pants tucked in between the fitted sheet and the flat sheet of the bed I had slept in! Unbeknownst to me, I had slept the night before in the same sheets that had been used by this man! It was obvious that housekeeping hadn't changed the sheets in between guests. We promptly called the front desk and it took almost an hour for the housekeepers to arrive with clean sheets. It was about 9pm on Fri 07/17/09. After the beds were made (one with my friend's sheets on it), I went to speak with the Manager at the front desk. I told him what I had found in the bed I had slept in the night before and he kept saying "But the sheets have been changed, so everyhting is fine now, right?" And I would say "No, because I slept in a dirty bed that a man had slept in the previous night, the previous week, or the previous month." He kept repeating "But we changed the sheets so everything is fine now, right?" Eventually, he said that he had to "check with the crew" who would have taken care of the room and the morning manager. The next morning, not having heard from anyone, I went to the front desk again and the same routine of "Everything is fine now" took place. The morning manager on duty said that they had to "look into it" and that they would get back to me. That evening I went to the front desk again (third time) and had to explain the whole thing again. I guess Marriott managers don't communicate with each other? After I explained what had happened AGAIN, I got the same response "The sheets have been changed, so everything is OK now, right?" I'm convinced Marriott trains its Managers to play idiots. Or maybe they hire idiots. After repeating the fact that I found disgusting that the sheets where this man had done God knows what hadn't been changed so that I ended up sleeping in them the night before and that housekeeping had had two opportunities to rectify the situation (first, after the man left/before we checked in AND the next morning after we left the room and room service made the beds) the THIRD manager finally said "What would you like to see happen?" I said "I think I shouldn't pay for the night when I slept in a bed that someone else had used." And he said "Sure, we'll take that charge off your bill." My question is: Why didn't the FIRST manager offer to take the charge off the FIRST time I brought up the issue? It took me explaining the situation multiple times to three managers (suposedly the "decision makers" there) for them to do the right thing. And I had to practically tell them how to rectify the situation. What, it hadn't occurred to them that I shouldn't have to pay for sleeping in those sheets? UNBELIEVEABLE! After all, this was the Marriott, not Motel 8. To top it all off, I'm germ-phobe (I had wiped down the remote, light switches, door knobs when we checked in). I NEVER thought that a Marriott property would fail to provide clean sheets. Now, I'll always bring my own.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank Chalaca68
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We have stayed at numerous "off strip" hotels in Las Vegas. The Renaissance would be the nicest thus far. Everything was clean, in good working order. Modern furnishings, etc. The only drawback I could see was that the pool was a little small for a hotel of it's size.
Rooms were extremely nice, clean, fully functional, and visually appealing. We had a nice view of the casinos, which is nice at night. The bed was fairly comfortable, but slightly stiff. The bathroom was in excellent working condition with nice amenities! We would certainly return here!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I'm Platinum Elite in the Marriott Rewards Program and this is a return trip to this hotel. The first visit occurred approximately a year prior. I had a positive experience during that trip, and as a result decided to revisit this hotel.

I booked the hotel online and chose a $99.00 rate. Las Vegas is having a low point in its tourism due to the economy, and I expected the rates to be a little lower. This was a weekend rate, checking in on a Friday night.

I drove to the hotel and needed assistance with my bags. When I arrived, there was only one valet working, and his time was consumed with taking pictures of a group of people heading out for the night. There was not another valet present to assist me, and I was forced to wait for the picture taker to finish his work. I expected him to tell the group to wait since I was an arriving customer, but this did not occur. I was not in the best of moods since I had driven from LA and was ready to check in and take a rest.

Reception and check-in went well once inside. I was given an upgrade to the 15th floor, which is the club floor. The bag assistant was very friendly and helpful in getting me settled into the room.

I was originally to check out after two days, but I decided to extend my stay into the next week. To my surprise, the front desk said I would be able to extend my stay, but at a higher rate of $109.00. This was a bit confusing since it was a Monday and the rate exceeded the weekend rate I had just paid. I agreed nonetheless.

The breakfast could use some work. The provided food is excellent, but it lacks the extensive variety I'm used to seeing having traveled to other Renaissances overseas. Also, during the evening cocktail hours, they charge for the individual drinks. I detest this charge, believing these drinks should be complimentary for individuals with access to the Club Floor.

I ordered room service one day for a late lunch, having a sandwich with some soup and fries. Everything was excellent and I highly recommend the room service here.

Overall, this hotel is excellent, especially considering the value of what you pay for a room. Granted, the hotel does not have a casino, but I see this as a plus. It allows you to get away from the action, and you control when you subject yourself to the casino. I will continue to return to this hotel when I visit Vegas in the future.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank bluejax21
Reviewed 8 July 2009

The Renaissance is an oasis of calm in an otherwise brash and over-stimulative Las Vegas. Adjacent to the Convention Center, this hotel is pleasantly lacking a casino, making the public space inviting to linger in, not get through as quickly as humanly possible. We were there just one night on our way through town. There was no convention and the rates were great. Not sure what happens to the calm atmosphere though when the place fills with orthodontists or game designers.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2009

This unassuming but superb property is located one block off the strip, around a mile from the Wynn/Encore. Crucially, there is a monorail station located very close (3 min walk) to the hotel. I've been here for 10 nights, and leave tomorrow morning, so I now feel qualified to leave a review!

The interior is very spacious and nicely decorated. The staff are extremely polite and friendly, which is a big plus in Vegas. I was offered an olive-shaped (but conventionally flavoured!) chocolate upon check-in and my room had a mini-fridge with two (I think - or hope) free bottles of water, which is restocked daily.

I had a normal room with king bed. The bathroom is nice, with a bath and walk-in shower cubicle. There is a nice big LCD TV, a clock-radio and a large desk. An iron and ironing board are also provided.

Huge windows give a pretty amazing view. My room faces towards the Stratosphere and the Hilton, although other rooms must face towards the other end. Ask for a high floor for the best views! I realised quite late on that the windows are not mirrored, so do not walk around naked in front of them, like I did.

There's a pool, which is unmanned and enclosed by the hotel, so it does get dark quite early. This being vegas though, it was still very warm even at midnight, but it might not be ideal if you're trying to get a tan.

On the whole, I can only find one fault with this hotel, and that is the wireless internet. I'm on the 12th floor, and the internet is terrible. The connection is very weak on all of my devices and frequently cuts out and suffers from extreme slowness. This is probably just affecting a small number of rooms, but it has been a problem for me.

The monorail is a great boost to this hotel, since it makes getting around in vegas a lot easier (although note that to get out of the monorail stations onto the strip, you need to navigate through the casinos, so you'll still need to walk!).

The Renaissance is classy, very reasonably priced and a good alternative to the tacky excess of the strip.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2009

The Las Vegas Renaissance is a great off the strip hotel. We stayed here for two nights and were very happy with the staff and room. The staff was friendly and professional and attended to our needs immediately. Our room was just a basic king room but was very clean and comfortable. The decor of the room and hotel is more on the modern side, bright and contemporary. I recommend visiting the pool, which was very relaxing. The hotel is just a short walk from the mono rail. Overall, I was very happy with our stay at this location.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple