“Oh thin walls!”

Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel
Ranked #70 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 March 2007

The constant noise was the one thing I really remember about this hotel.

Well, I also remember the nice lobby, helpful check-in, the nice LOOKING room, the comfy bed ... but my mind keeps coming back to the walls, the doors, how thin they were.

Yelling, talking, walking, um, friendship between a couple, all these
things you can hear from the comfort of your own room!

But it sure looks nice!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
7  Thank briantoronto

Reviewed 12 March 2007

I am a Marriott Platinum member and stayed about 150 nights last year. Most of the times I wonder why I bother since I rarely feel like I’m that important. We were told that the Concierge floor was entirely king beds, with only one room that had two doubles and it was handicapped accessible. This is not a huge deal except for the fact that we were charged $13.00/day for internet and had to spend a decent amount of time explaining that it should be free. As is usually the case, the maids did a good job and deserve more than they earn. Be advised that the beds are small, even for a double.

My biggest complaint is with the restaurant. I received several coupons in the mail for 2 for 1 entrees. We tried to eat there and were rudely told there was no way they could possibly fit us in. Normally I would understand since we did not have a reservation. However, from the moment we walked up, the self-important guy looked at us as if we didn't belong anywhere in the hotel. We were dressed nicely and still had our badges on since, imagine this, the hotel is right next to the convention center. He also snidely suggested that we check the lounge, which is STRICTLY non-smoking. I think I travel enough to know that every Marriott in the U.S. is non-smoking. I even inquired if there was any priority seating for Platinum members and he just stared at me. Apparently the casinos in Las Vegas have no problem holding seats for their top customers. Just beware that you will probably be bothering the staff if you make any requests.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank born1980
Reviewed 7 March 2007

My colleague and I stayed here during a business trip this past week.

We found the hotel staff to be rude at times and not very accommodating. Our TV did not work, and we constantly had to call housekeeping for basics that they forgot to replenish (toilet paper, bottled water, etc). The meeting facilities were overly expensive (a charge of $160 to use our OWN AV equipment (LCD projector and laptop that we brought) on top of $500 for a 2 hr block in a tiny meeting room.

We decided to have a drink one night in the lobby bar. Since they had a drink menu with lists of their specialty martinis, etc. I asked the cocktail waitress if she could recommend anything. She simply looked at me blankly and stated, "I am highly allergic to alcohol. I do not drink at all. I have no idea what is good here." This is just one example of the type of interactions that we had with staff on multiple occasions.

I had brought my new laptop (Windows Vista) and it was not compatible with their archaic wired or wireless internet. The staff in the business office (the only nice staff in the whole place) tried to help me with the internet problems for over 2 hours one day...still no connection so they let me use the computers in the business office to check my email. There were still multiple charges for trying to connect with my laptop even though I had told the front desk on several days that it was not working at all.

The only positive comment that I can mention is that the valet parking is free, helpful, and pretty friendly.

I will not be staying here in the future for business or otherwise.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank apothecary
Reviewed 26 February 2007

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Renaissance Las Vegas. The hotel is very contemporary and upscale. The rooms were exceptionally clean and well-arranged. There is a refrigerator, but no mini-bar. The closet is really a wardrobe with sufficient space, but there are only two drawers for storage. The bathrooms are very nice with granite countertops, ample counter space. I especially like the separate glass-enclosed shower.

We were attending a meeting at the hotel and the meeting rooms were very nice. They were well-maintained by the staff, who refreshed our drinks and cleared the meeting tables at every break. The catered lunch was very good.

The staff was professional and efficient. We had difficulty finding a cab on Friday evening, but the doorman made every attempt to locate one for us. The location is convenient to the monorail and the convention center and the Wynn shuttle can take you to the Wynn hotel from 8am to 8pm. After many hours walking through casinos, hotels and shopping malls on the strip, it was refreshing to return to the quiet elegance of the Renaissance.

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank pdjcfo
Reviewed 26 February 2007

From the lobby to the room, the decor is minimalist, contemporary and chic. Loved the bathroom. Marble bath. Separate tub and shower. Spa is across the street but concierge can call a towncar to bring you there without charge. No casino on site. No smoking. No buffet. If you want a departure from the usual party atmosphere of Vegas resorts without missing out on upscale surroundings, this is a great place to stay. Very businesslike. Friendly staff. The only thing I did not appreciate was when booking online, the room description said, "complimentary continental breakfast and complimentary drinks between 6 and 8 PM" but when I checked in, my reservation did not indicate so. You may want to check on the phone or print that if you reserve online.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank Norie
Reviewed 11 February 2007

I arrived Las Vegas Renaissance hotel around 4pm on wednesday. I was aware that the hotel is almost sold out because there're couple conventions going on this week & weekend (thats what I am here for too). I booked this hotel approx 1.5 month ahead with priceline so I had a very good deal. The front desk guy is very friendly and helpful. As seem from the previous review, upon the checkin, they walked around the counter and offered u their signature chocolate and personally welcome you to the hotel. Now that's a nice touch. I called ahead of the time to reserve a room on a high floor w/ view, they did that. The only time that they mentioned about priceline is that he reminded me that my stay will not be honored for their rewards program (I am silver elite level btw).

The hotel is fairly new (built in 2004 I believe) so everything is in a nice condition. The beds are nice (pillowtop mattress), towels are fluffy (and there are plenty in the room), and the AC is quiet, Flat screen LCD TV in every room (26" Phillips) and a wireless phone. The best of all, they provided WiFi for their customers inside the hotel (where other hotel would normally charges you 10-15+ dollars). I am not the type of person who cares about carpet stains but while i am looking at it..It does not shows any spots. Deco in the room is contemp. style and the furnitures are in a good condition. The blind does prevent sunshine and the AC is good (not very loud) but I have a feeling that it may not be cold enough for the summer time (Right now is around 65F in vegas - perfect weather in feb). Ample lighting and sheets are crisp and there are plenty pillows (like 6 on my bed, 2 in the closet). Workdesk is large and the chair is ergonomically designed (I would like to take this chair home actually. J/k). The refrigerater is underneath the desk and it seems like they put stuffs in it so I did not touch it. The coffee maker is provided in the room as well (under the sink, so you have to pull it out to use it), also a nice touch since some 4* hotels on the strip don't even offer you with this types of amenitis.

The bathroom contains a sink, toilet (strong flush, i like that). a shower (marbled) and a bathtub. It is very clean and in a good condition as well. I also get to use the club lounge on the 15th floor. It provided you with complimentary drinks & snacks & newspapers throughout the day. For those who does not have access to the lounge, there's fitness center on site that provides with free water & fresh fruits as well.

I also get to use the swimming pool and jacuzzi at night (around 11pm). It is very quite and clean. However, the only thing that i didn't like about the jacuzzi is that the chemical oder is actually too strong. I am the type of person who doesn't mind using the jacuzzi at 24 hour fitness / Bally's (VERY, VERY dirty). This jacuzzi is clean but the chemical odor keeps me coughing like crazy so I had to take off early. However, there are big sofa-style couch next to the poolside (plenty~ at least 5+) where people can relax. I used the pool at night so I can not tell whether this is good enough for sunbathing (I am not into tanning either). Parking garage is convient too, its right next to the hotel and its not too far from the hotel elevators (unlike big scale hotels where u actually walked 5-10mins to reach ur room), another good thing about this hotel.

There are 2 restaurants (one is the steak house Envy) and another deli shop like store located on the 1st floor. I didn't get to try neither so I can not comment on it.

Overall, this is a very good hotel located close to the strip (right next to the monorail station too). You can take the shuttle to the Wynns hotel (8am-8pm) or else it will be a good idea to rent a car if u want to get around this town. There is also a McDonalds like 2 tiny blocks down so budget minded travellers can eat (or take their kids to eat). The quality of the room, the staff, and the price is already make me feel that I choose the right hotel. I stayed at the Paris (Calais suite on 34th Floor, facing bellagios), bellagios, MGM, Mandalay Bays, Venetian, Monte Carlos...etc. Most of them did not offer the service which a 4* hotel should have (the quality of the room amendities and the customer service). This hotel sets a standard where a 4* hotel should be. A hotel's star rating should be based on their room and service, not how BIG they are or how much they spent to mimic effiel tower, etc.

***** One big note. After I returned I returned my car to the airport and about to check in at the airport, I realized that my house key is missing! I immediately called the hotel and asked them to search for me (its around 630pm) and the security guy (Gary) took my number and told me that if the room is not occupied he will search for me personally. He returned my call after 10-15 mins and let me know that he went thru my room (I know that he did it b/c he pointed out whats left in my room) and I really, really appreciated his time to search for it. I think this hotel's service is great. One minor thing I think that they need to improve on top of the jacuzzi odor is the conceriage. They should be more informative and should able to provide some local tourist coupon since afterall, vegas is still a big, big tourist city. Most people go there for leisure. Will definitely come back to this hotel again! Love the smoke-free environment, clean air and the friendly staff.

Stayed: February 2007
27  Thank Doraemon79
Reviewed 7 February 2007

This is my favorite place to stay in Las Vegas. Pros: Attractive upscale hotel of manageable size, quiet, clean air, nicely furnished rooms, free parking, free Internet. Cons: Away from The Strip, surly staff.

I have stayed here several times, most recently in December 2006. Everyone who goes to Vegas enough has a favorite hotel there. I personally like to have a quiet hotel to retreat to after living it up amidst the wonderful noise and chaos that is Las Vegas. The Renaissance provides this beautifully. There is no casino in the hotel, it is a non-smoking hotel, and it's not too large a place so there's no problem in navigating it. It is located next to the Convention Center, where there is a tram you can take to The Strip if you don't want to taxi or drive. Self-parking and valet are free.

I like the modern decor in the lobby and guest rooms. It's not lavish, just very nicely done, pleasing to the eye. A lobby bar, a lobby restaurant that people come from miles away to eat at, and flat screen TVs in every room.

The pool area is small and boxed in on all sides and only has sun for a few hours mid-day, so plan carefully if you want to take advantage of that. Also, the pool area is one place where folks can smoke, so it was sometimes smokey out there. There are some really cool lounge chairs, er, couches really.

The exercise room is available 24 hours and is well-stocked with treadmills, weight machines, bicycles, and even a few gizmos that I'm not sure what they do.

There is free WiFi in the lobby. In the room you connect through a cable, but it's still free.

I found the servers in the restuarant to be wonderful and friendly, as were all of the valets. But the front desk staff, concierge, and the wait staff in the bar either avoided serving us or were actually hostile on multiple occasions in a stay of less than one week in duration. You have to wonder if there isn't a management problem at a place when this many people have a negative attitude toward their customers. My friends and I were pretty shocked.

But all in all, this is *still* my favorite place to stay in Vegas. I don't mind being away from The Strip, I actually prefer it. And this is a beautiful and comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends