“Nice Place, lousy service Coronado Cafe, Wi-Fi not included in room”

South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa
Ranked #45 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Nice Place, lousy service Coronado Cafe, Wi-Fi not included in room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

We stayed at South Point while attending the Indian Finals Rodeo. The rooms are spacious and neat and we loved the toilet/shower being separate from the bathroom vanity. The buffet had excellent food. The Coronado Cafe? Different story. Long waits to be seated, to get your order taken, and to get your food. My steak was ordered med-well. It arrived half well-done, half medium rare. Previously, we loved the margaritas at Baja Miguels. This trip, the drinks were very watered down. Also, it felt like they keep the garage elevators about 90 degrees below the outside temperature. One major problem was the SMELL from the Horse Arena. We could smell it from the Gaming/Restaurant area and the dust did bother our respiratory systems. Even though they charge a RESORT FEE, wi-fi is NOT INCLUDED in the rooms (additional charge for that service). Wi-fi is available in the lobby free.

Room Tip: Try to get a room above the 7th floor. We were on the 7th floor and had an excellent view of the ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
hoteloperations2010, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We want you to know that we do not have a resort fee. Your feedback is very important to us and we will address the information you provided. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced and hope this will not deter you from visiting us in the future.

Staff & Management of the South Point Hotel Casino & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,079)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

We had been there on previous trips to LV and decided to stay there this time and were very satisfied. It was a short trip from the airport as we rented a car because we are very familiar with the area. The ride to other locations on the Strip was not long and we saw three shows while there. They also have a shuttle to the Strip and to the airport. The gambling was fine and the Sports and Race book were excellent. The only thing that we were disappointed in was they didn't have the table game "Let It Ride." While we were there, the KOA convention, the Professional Bowlers Tour, and the Indian National Finals Rodeo was also there. The casino wasn't overly crowded and all the people were friendly. I enjoyed watching the rodeo and the bowling tournament. The food was fine and the buffet very reasonable with the Club Card. The rooms were fine with a comfortable bed and large bathroom.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the really nice review of our property. Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate the compliments. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your overall visit with us. We hope you plan a future trip the next time your in Las Vegas.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

South Point Hotel should be a nice place to stay, gamble (if you do), and relax a little bit but unfortunately it's not.

First of all, this hotel is one of the smokiest 'newer' hotels I have ever been in. Not as bad as the El Cortez but it is certainly going down that path. If you have any sensitivities to smoke at all I recommend you do not step foot in this place.

I stayed on the 16th floor and I could smell smoke all the way into my room. It burned my eyes and nose.

The customer service is certainly lacking at best. Check in was efficient but the clerk was detached and bored looking - as was everyone else.

The second night I returned home from work around 6 PM and wanted to turn on the TV. I'm by no means a big Television watcher but enjoy zoning out for 30 minutes or so by watching the news after a long, stressful day at work before I do some reading.

Unfortunately, the television would not turn on. I called the front desk and was put on hold for about 3 minutes. When they finally answered the front desk agent was curt and said they would send an engineer up and immediately hung up the phone. Seriously?

30 minutes later no one had arrived and I wanted to go down to get some dinner but had to wait for the engineer. I called again, was put on hold for a few minutes again, and was told the same detached answer as before and was immediately hung up on.

45 minutes later... no one, 60 minutes later I finally call again and was finally listened to for more than 5 seconds. Well, 5 minutes later an engineer came up. He looked at the TV and went back downstairs to flip a breaker...This solved the problem but over 1.5 hours had passed.

The food at several of the restaurants I tried was lousy and not cheap.

Another thing is the people that this place tends to attract. They are some of the sloppiest, grossest looking people I have seen to date. I mean, is this pretty standard for las vegas? Shaved heads, tatoos, pants down to your knees, cigarette dangling out of their mouth. These people are unbelievable. I won't even make eye contact with anyone from this place.

All of the beds in this place have a plastic cover on them. From looking at the crowd that frequents this place I would expect they often have to deal with soiled sheets and mattresses. GROSS!

Between the extreme smoke in this place, the crappy service, and the extremely sleazy and depressing crowd I have no reason to ever go back to this place.

Count me out!

6 Thank J B
hoteloperations2010, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
We are sorry to hear your visit with us was not an enjoyable experience. Our HVAC filters are changed out on a regular basis and we also keep the air circulated. We want you to know that we will be discussing your comments with our Front Office Manager. We can assure you that our mission here at the South Point is to provide the best possible service to our guests, and anything short of that is unacceptable. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced and hope that you would reconsider a future visit with us.

Walpole, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

If you've been to Vegas again and again, the strip begins to wear you down. South Point is an excellent little oasis just a mile or so past the beloved "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign. South Point is its own little city. Bowling alleys, movie theatres, a bingo hall... plus a large and friendly casino. The Friday night seafood buffet equals any in Vegas and is under twenty dollars (if you get a club card) twenty-two if not. The Prime Rib restaurant has the best Prime Rib on the Strip, inches thick and under thirty bucks. The race book is Caesar's like. The rooms are very good (the one weird knock is that there is plastic under the bedsheet---still a minor tic). Great room service options!---But finally, after having been to Vegas annually over two decades, I found that there was everything I needed for gambling, food, and entertainment. If you still crave the 'bright lights, big city' glitz...probably not the place for you. But if you're just coming for the essence of a great vegas vacation...you want to check this place out!

Room Tip: Pretty much all good! The suites are even better (and still reasonable!).
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank William C
Wow, thanks for such an awesome review of our property. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. We want you to know that it is our pleasure to have you visit with us and we hope that you will make us your hotel of choice on your future trips to Las Vegas.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

Our first error was choosing this hotel. We had a different hotel booked much closer to The Strip but it was much more expensive and we thought "it's just one night and the reviews look pretty good, so we may as well save some money and stay at the South Point". The reservation was prepaid with an online booking agency so getting a refund when were there wasn't possible.

BIG MISTAKE!

The first room assigned to us after a lengthy line-up at registration was on the 4th floor. When we opened the curtains we found a view of a cement wall - I guess the parking garage - approximately 30 feet away. We called down and were offered a "view room" for $10 additional, or a "strip view room" for $20 additional. We opted for the view room and waited 15 minutes for the bell boy to bring us our new keys and show us to our new room.

The room we now had on the 21st floor did have a much nicer view facing the pool and riding ring. It still had the same shabby, dated look of the room on the 4th floor, but "it's just one night". We had a hard time seeing any qualities in our room that would merit a 4-star rating however with it's worn and filthy carpets and cheap linens.

My husband left to go get our luggage while I waited up in our room. We have traveled extensively, staying in anything from 3 star to 5 star accommodations. But we have NEVER stayed in a hotel where it was abundantly obvious the bathroom had not been cleaned. There was feces in the toilet, which was completely disgusting.

I called and asked for housekeeping to come and clean the bathroom ASAP and also asked for 3 extra pillows to be sent up. Ten minutes later, someone delivered 2 pillows and promised to come back with a third (he never did), but still no housekeeping.

In the meantime, my husband had returned with all of our luggage and we wanted to put some things in the safe and leave, so we could take in some of the sights on The Strip. The safe door was closed and he was unable to open it. Another call was placed to have a maintenance man come and fix this. We waited 15 minutes and a maintenance man did come but he was unable to open the safe, telling us that someone would have to come and physically break the door off the safe. This would be another delay - at least 15 minutes for someone to come, and another 15-30 minutes to repair the door. We had electronics with us we did not want exposed to the rain (which they would be if they were carried in our backpack), so we decided to go downstairs and have our boarding passes printed while we were waiting. That took 20 minutes and when we returned to our room, the safe was still not repaired. We waited another 10 minutes and had just decided to take everything with us when there was a knock on the door, a different maintenance man this time. He rolled his eyes when we told him the first man had told us the door needed to be removed. He produced some sort of electronic device which had our safe door open and functioning within a couple of minutes. So, we locked up our electronics and left to spend 5 hours on the strip thinking all would be well when we returned.

When we returned, it was obvious the toilet still had not been cleaned. My husband had flushed the feces away, but there were still urine marks on the rim.

This time I called and spoke to a manager and told her all the things that had happened during our brief stay. She promised to get someone from housekeeping up right away, and offered us a $25 food credit and agreed to remove the $10 "upgrade" cost.

The housekeeper came and cleaned our bathroom and finished around 10:30 p.m.

We decided to order room service for breakfast to use our food credit. But, we could not fin a hotel information binder anywhere in the room. Yet another call brought us a binder 15 minutes later. We placed the order and finally got some sleep.

Breakfast arrived perfectly punctually at 9 a.m. Unfortunately, all of the food was barely warm. We had order a $16 entree to share and added a cup of tea and a glass of orange juice. It turned out the tea was $5 and the OJ another $6 (for one glass). Add a mandatory $4 gratuity, a $2 service charge and tax and our bill became $34. Again disappointed but to worn out to complain again. We paid our bill and simply left, never to return again.

Our mistake was choosing this hotel, thinking it could meet the needs of someone simply wanting a modern and clean well-appointed room. We're not gamblers or drinkers or equestrians, so our time in the hotel was actually spent in our room. And it fell very short of what we had expected.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank RosieGri
We are sorry to hear your first visit with us was not an enjoyable experience. We want you to know that our mission here at the South Point is to provide the best possible service to our guests, and anything short of that is unacceptable. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced and hope that you would reconsider a future visit with us.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

We loved out stay at South Point. Clean and nice, the rooms were comfortable and roomy. Wonderful pool, great restaurants. We didn't even bother with the LV strip.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Bernie1903
Wow, thanks for the great review of our property. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your selves with all our amenities that you didn't have to leave. We hope that you will visit with us the next time your in Las Vegas.

Saint Regis, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

We attended a convention there and spent seven days at the hotel. The place was nice and I liked the idea of being off the strip. Like other reviewers, the place is smokey, but hey, it's a casino for crying out loud! They have an excelent selection of places to eat and, at all price ranges. They have an incredible bowling alley, theater complex and swimming pool area, I used none of them, but they sure looked nice.
This place caters to the horsey crowd which should be considered very carefully if you plan on staying during one of their events. I'm from Montana so the smell of horse manure does not bother me at all but we were there during some kind of Indian rodeo event and I found the crowd attending that particular event to be very rude and inconsiderate.
The main complaint that I have is that considering they spent millions and millions of dollars building this very nice hotel/casino, why didn't they install doors in the hotel that close quietly? We finally had to move to another room because we could not get any sleep because of the all night rodeo party going on next door to our room and the constant slamming doors that kept us awake till 5 a.m..
Most of the staff is friendly and welcoming but many of the non english speaking staff could benefit from some customer service training. At 4 p.m. when our trade show ended we were practically pushed out of the expo center by the event staff that came in to prepare (I assume) for another event. The attitude of the staff did not set well with our event sponsor so I assume that this will be the last time we have a convention there.

Room Tip: If I stay there again I will upgrade to a suite in hopes that I will have a better chance of getting...
2 Thank Jim S
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is very important to us and we want you to know that we will address this information. We can assure you that our mission here at the South Point is to provide the best possible service to our guests, and anything short of that is unacceptable. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced and hope you can visit with us the next time your in Las Vegas.