“I had a great time!”
Review of South Point Hotel

South Point Hotel
Ranked #38 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 3 March 2012

December of 2011 I had book a trip through Expedia and selected The South Point Hotel, Casino, and Spa because I wanted to get the most bang for my buck and with it being near the New Year, most of the other Hotel/Casinos were really expensive. I arrived late and had a friend pick me up from the airport to take me to the hotel but was able to utilize the free airport shuttle for my return (Reservations required or you are on a "Space Available" status). I arrived around midnight and was checked in promptly by a very nice young lady who offered me a couple of coupon books, generated a duplicate Players Card for me since I forgot to bring mine from home,as well as offered to print my boarding pass for my return trip home.She also let me know of the Strip Shuttle ($8 all day pass) since she knew that I had not rented a vehicle, and let me know of its pick up location and times. I used this service almost everyday that I was there and believe me $8 was well spent. I came and went a fews times during the day and the shuttle drops you off and picks you up at multiple points along the strip. The service to and from the Strip locations were quick and efficient as well as on time.

Prior to my arrival I had called the Hotel and had requested 2 beds since my friends would be staying with me for part of my stay. The standard for all hotels booked through a third party is "All requests cannot be guaranteed", but the South Point had no problems accomodating my needs. When I arrived to the room, I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room itself as well as the size of its large bathroom (Separate toilet/shower and sink areas), which makes things a lot easier when multiple persons are trying to get ready at the same time. The rooms were nicely appointed, nice big floor to ceiling windows, and a 42 inch flat panel TV, among other amenities. During this trip I did not utilize any other services besides eating at the buffet and cafe. The buffet is good but not great...I have definitely eaten at worse but it's not the Bellagio nor Wynn buffets but their prices were reasonable (Cheap if you use the 50% off coupon in the coupon book), and the Coronado Cafe, which is open 24 hrs has great food at dirt cheap prices but the catch is that those prices are from 12am-6am and there can be a wait as expected for the quality of food as well as the price. I had the 7oz NY steak and Eggs (Approximately$4) a couple of mornings while I was there.

So, after staying there back at the end of December of last year, I received a mailer for several nights stay for free as a Hotel promotion, and since I had a wonderful time there previously, I reserved a room from Feb.28-Mar.3. As part of the promotion I also was given $40 in free slot play and $40 resort credit for use at almost all of the venues within the resort. There is not a Resort Fee but if you want to use the Spa or Fitness Center the cost is $15 per day, but with the promotion it was free as well. The pool and jacuzzi are free, and man, the jacuzzi is nice. The only way I can explain it is that it is 8 jacuzzis fit into the style of a lazy river. I used the jacuzzi everyday that I was there this time and I even layed out next to the pool. I think the locals thought is was a little chilly out but 60-65 degree weather is magnificent to me since I am from Seattle. I was a happy camper! The pool was supposedly heated to 77 degrees but I doubted that, as I quickly did the two feet in and two feet out quickly dance. I also saw a show there (The Dennis Bono Show), I don't know if there is any relationship to Sonny Bono but I never asked. The show is free to Player Club Card holders (Free to join) but you have to obtain a ticket at the Box Office prior to your admittance. I guess I somehow didn't understand this but when I walked into the door and I didn't have my ticket, I was a little embarassed but a very nice older gentleman that worked the door and "Pat", at least I think that's what her name was, scanned an extra ticket and allowed me in. I sat in a booth next to a lovely older local couple (Mid 70's if I had to guess) and they treated me as if I was their new best frind. The show is a variety show that is broadcasted via radio each week. I was pleasantly surprised, lots of good singing...I left impressed.

So, needless to say I would recommend the South Point! It has alot to offer, from multiple eating establishments, large movie theatre, bowling alley, Spa, Fitness Center, Pool/Jacuzzi, arcade, etc., and I can't forget to mention that next to the Sports Book from 11am-5pm, they have a Hot Dog Stand that serves hot dogs for 75 cents and they even dress it for you. It definitely is a nice establishment and the rooms are huge (500 square feet), and thats just a standard room not the suites. you can't get that much space in Las Vegas very often. The higher the room level, the better the view. My room (2039) had a nice view of the valley and mountains and I got to watch the sun come over the mountains every morning, that's a treat for someone from Seattle.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking please ask for a room close to the elevators as the hallways are extreme...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Chawalit S
hoteloperations2010, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Thanks for such an awesome review of our property. We really appreciate the feedback as well as the compliments on our staff. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience and thank you for recommending us. We want you to know that our mission is to know and understand each of our guest’s expectations and our goal is to surpass them. We hope to see you on your next trip to Las Vegas.

Staff & Management of the South Point Hotel Casino & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (5,486)

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I wasn't too pleased to have 3 business trips out to Vegas. I was even more unhappy to hear that I was going to be far away from the lights and fun of the strip. This hotel is about 5-8 miles away, but... STILL lots of fun!

This hotel is huge, but has a small town, homey feel to it. It's got kind of a Western theme going on (since a lot of rodeos and horse events happen at the attached arena). That said, it's cheap, with hotel rooms ranging from $40-100 bucks/night, and offers all the similar amenities.

The PROS?
Free wifi in the lobby
Decent food
Awesome spa - I had Salena for my facial and LOVED it! Incredible steam room and well manicured/attended-to spa ($10/day)
Nice pool and hot tube
Nice fitness room - plenty of treadmills, but at a steep price ($15/day?)
Cheap shuttle ($8, roundtrip) to the strip - picks you up and drops you off at 4 main locations

The CONS
Off the strip so you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised how good this place was. It's where the locals go to gamble, away from the strip. If they had free wifi to all the rooms and a free shuttle to the strip, it'd be better, but their prices are really, really reasonable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jae L

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We really appreciate the feedback and are happy you enjoyed your visit. We hope you plan a future trip the next time your in Las Vegas.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

This hotel has everything. I wanted to find a good hotel for the price in Vegas. Our room was facing the mountains, had 2 queen beds and was one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. It has a bowling alley, movie theater, bingo hall, equestrian arena, many 1 cent slots, and quite a few restaurants to choose from. The buffet has a good variety and at breakfast cook to order omelets. It has a Steak and Shake, Oyster bar, Evening cuisine at the Silverado which is elegant yet casual dress. It has Seattle's best coffee bar, Ice cream place, a deli and more restaurants that I did not get to try. It has a indoor spa for services and a workout area but I found the extra fee for the use was a little steep for the short amount of time I would be using it. If you wish to go to the strip they have a shuttle that takes you and picks you up at designated stops for a fee. lt so it has free airport pickup and drop off but make sure you reserve your space on it days in advance. I was very impressed with the place and would recommend it if you don't mind staying off strip. I will return there next time I go.

Room Tip: I booked through a Facebook link for a better deal. Was on the 17th floor and room was very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Wow, thanks for the great review of our property. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you are recommending us. We really do appreciate you taking the time to post your comments, and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

For me, an acceptable bed is the single most important item to get right. It doesn't have to be plush, but it does have to be acceptable. South point fails miserably here. There was some kind of plastic sheeting underneath the mattress sheet that made my night restless and miserable.

Other than that, South Point is a fine hotel. I particularly enjoyed their ring hot tub.

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is very important to us and we want you to know that we will address your information. We hope this experience will not deter you from planning a future visit with us.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel has everything for the family! Everyone will be satisfied! This hotel has the feel and looks of any 5 star hotel on the strip. Speaking of the strip the have a shuttle that will take you there if you don't have your own car. Really wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Crystal H
hoteloperations2010, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thanks for such a great review; we really do appreciate your feedback. We hope you will stop by to visit with us the next time your in Las Vegas.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have never stayed off-strip when visting Vegas so was doubtful about staying at South Point. However, what I found was a resort that was affordable, comfortable, with lots of amenities that provided a Vegas experience without the high price.

South Point has a variety of entertainment (bowling alley, movie theatres, shows, etc.), gaming, restaurants, and a nice pool area. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful during my stay and everything was clean.

The room I booked was spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean. The room could easily accomodate a couple of people without them tripping over each other.

While it was a little inconvenient to be off the Strip for some things (we had tickets for a show one night and did general exploration on another), it was actually nice to get away from the drunken craziness that can abound on a weekend in Vegas.

If you're looking for an affordable Vegas vacation, I would check-out South Point.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room away from the elevators - just a general travel tip for any hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank HiloYoshi

Thanks for such an awesome review of our property. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. It really is our pleasure to have you visit with us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

After staying at Treasure Island and Mandalay Bay, I didn't expect much, but I was sick of paying resort fees and sick of the strip. So we thought we'd take a chance (at $49 a night) with So. Point.
This is our new hotel! It's somewhat family friendly, has a huge bowling alley, movie theatres, and a wonderful buffet, at only $18 a plate on weekdays, it put the other hotels' buffets to shame! It had the most delicious prime rib, shrimp, real mashed potatoes, and desserts. The rooms were very clean and spacious. Very pleased and glad I read the reviews. Loved the price....

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank dinee1

Thanks for such a great review; we really appreciate your feedback as well as your compliments. We are happy to hear we are your new place to stay and we look forward to your next visit.