“Southern Terror”
Review of South Point Hotel

South Point Hotel
Ranked #42 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Don't be deceived : the South Point is not a classy hotel. Their non-smoking areas were poorly marked and very small, and complaints to the staff about such were literally mocked ("This is Las Vegas" -- oh, I didn't notice).

The staff didn't know their way around their own casino, and the advertised free shuttle to the strip was magically 'discontinued' just before our stay. Definitely a casino with hotel-like pretences -- they didn't seem to care about their guests at all.

Stayed: January 2009
2  Thank Penguinone

Reviewed 6 January 2009

A word of warning, I would not recommend this hotel for a first-timer in Vegas. The hotel is a 15 minute drive from Mandalay Bay, most southern of the bigger casinos on the Vegas Strip.

If you have a car or would not mind riding the bus, I would recommend the hotel. I have stayed at a number of hotels in Vegas and I can claim that the South Point was excellent. The rooms were ample and even large for comparable ones in its price range. There was a flat panel TV in our room. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were excellent. The bathroom was clean.

The buffet at the casino is nothing to get excited about, but was decent for the price. There are other restaurants in the casino, but we did not have a chance to eat there.

The hotel also has amenities for children and minors. There is a bowling alley that seems to be open 24 hrs and an arcade. There is also a bingo hall (We do not play bingo, so I can not comment on this aspect). There is also a heated swimming pool and a movie theater.

The only snag was that it took 30 minutes to check in. The front desk attendant claimed it was due to computers being down. I would not mind staying here again, although the commute to the center of the Vegas strip gets old after a while.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JoeBruin1
Reviewed 3 January 2009

Bad Garden Buffet service, terrible food, negative disabled services

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Neg123
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We didn't really know what we were getting into because we booked our stay through Priceline, but after we arrived and settled in, we only had one complaint!

Our room was spacious and clean (we had a problem with the toilet leaking, but the hotel took care of it very quickly)- casino has great variety (although SUPER SMOKY in certain areas)- wonderful food options (cafe is the BEST value. delicious food!!).
There's also a huge bingo hall, pool, bowling, and a movie theatre!

It's also supposed to be a spa, but after trying to get assistance over the phone- (no one ever answered) then going down to the spa desk to ask my questions and getting the RUDEST JERK EVER- I decided not to waste my time. (and that was a major disappointment, since the spa was one of the things I was most looking forward to!)

Everything else was wonderful wonderful wonderful. I would stay there again in a heartbeat! (and I'll take the shuttle to another hotel's spa!! you snooze, you lose South Point!)

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank redcat93
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Stayed there before and returned to find hotel as good as ever with very competitive rates ( ask for best rate) if I had to find fault I think that the food and service has declined in the Garden Buffet but still good value, I would never stay on the strip when you can use valet parking at any hotel for a couple of dollars.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank curatokid
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Just stayed at South Point over X-Mas with family..We booked a 2 bedroom luxury suite ..Room was gorgeous and clean..Each bedrooom had an unbelieveable shower and seperate large tub..My kids were happy, my wife was happy..Casino is nice , not as crowded as the casinos on the main part of the strip..We rented a car and it was a quick 15 minute drive to the main strip , so we got to enjoy all of Vegas but went back home to South Point..I highly recommend especially if you are travelling with family and kids..

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mikenchris
Reviewed 29 December 2008

This hotel is on par with most of the hotels on the Strip, but like the name suggests it is south of the Strip. The hotel usually has a shuttle to the Strip but we were there during Christmas and apparently they cancel the shuttle during quiet times. The hotel is about 5 years old so it is still in really great shape. Our room was really nice, I actually got to see a room at the Belagio and the rooms where basically identical in size and decorated similarly, the only difference is the Bellagio's room has a bigger bathroom with a seperate shower and tub. There are many restaurants to choose from and the buffet is really decently priced $6.95/person for breakfast which we thought was really affordable, and I think about $9/person for lunch. I'll tell you that you won't find a $9 buffet for lunch at the Bellagio, it was more like $30/person. The casino tables are also more affordable at the South Point. We were able to play $5 min Blackjack and $1 min Roulette (I couldn't find those tables at any of the Strip casinos). All in all I would highly recommend this hotel, it's only about a 5-10 minute drive to the Strip and there is free parking at the Fashion Show Mall. If you want to rent a car, the Bell desk will arrange for a car rental agency to come pick-you up and drop you off and it's free parking at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank blueskies39