“A Las Vegas True Hidden Gem”

South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa
Ranked #44 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
“A Las Vegas True Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 1 August 2010

This place is a great find. From the super staff working there, to the easy access to the Las Vegas area. We used to stay "on the Strip", This hotel has changed our minds. I like the strip, it is fun to be down there and enjoy the Rush. However coming back to South Point was what we needed to relax and have great fun. My wife and I would always say it was good to be "Home" at South Point.
The rooms and great and large compared to some of the strip rooms. The place is clean and well lit. The casino floor is bright and well run. The food is good and won't break the bank. The breakfast buffet is a "Locals" favorite, not expensive and good food. The staff is always there to help with anything you may need.
We drive everywhere in Vegas. It is easy and allows one to see the other great sites in the area. South Point has its own exit on and off the "15". You can't beat it for access to the highway system. They also offer an airport shuttle to and from the Las Vegas Airport.
If you are looking for great value, great service and lots of fun things to do at your Hotel, South Point will not fail you. Do not let the distance from the Main Strip scare you away.
Always remember too, you'll make it what you want it to be. Everyone has a bad day sometimes. The folks there are great and I think they try very hard to make one feel at home.
We will be staying at South Point always.

3 Thank digamac
SouthPointLV, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2010
Thanks for such a really nice review on our property. We appreciate the compliments and are glad to hear you had a pleasant stay. We hope you can visit with us again soon.

Staff & Management of the South Point Hotel Casino & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We had a wonderful stay at South Point Casino in mid-July. Checkin was quick and efficient. After having read some of the other reviews, we asked for a room higher than than the 2nd or 3rd floor and not facing a wall. We were told a room “with a view” would be extra each night. We decided to forget the view, as we were not planning on sitting in the room looking out the window much while on vacation. We were given a room on the 22nd floor overlooking the pool and a great southern view spanning Las Vegas Blvd to past I-15. The room was spacious, with a sofa, table and chairs, desk area, flat screen TV, along with a king bed, which was just like Goldilocks bed –not too hard, not too soft, but just right! Pillows are not feather, which is fine by me, as I am allergic to feathers and hate to be a pain for housekeeping to ask for non-feather pillows. The A/C was fully adjustable and was VERY quiet when the fan was on low or automatic. There are not one, but 3 telephones in the room, with one being in the bathroom next to ‘the throne’. Lighting was plentiful, with eco-friendly CFL bulbs (the hallways used CFL or LED lighting). The closet contained the iron and ironing board, along with an in-room safe, which is great to leave your winnings. ?;- )

The bathroom was not one, but two rooms – the toilet and bath/shower were in a separate room off the room with the sink and vanity. This is good since the coffee maker (also has tea) was on the spacious vanity, as was the hair dryer. Plenty of toiletries were left by housekeeping each day. The bath had a great rainfall shower head and there was plenty of water pressure, even on the 22nd floor! There was also a nice metal grab bar in the shower with a rough grip spot so if your hand was slick with soap, you won't slip.

The rooms are very quiet – we saw a family with elementary school-age kids next door, but only heard them in the morning if they bumped into the wall. Security in the hotel was very good, with key check in the evenings before you get to the elevators.

The swimming pool and hot tub were good. With the extremely high temps while we were there, along with a high school basketball tournament in town, we decided to use the pool immediately upon getting up in the morning. The hot tub, which is designed like a lazy river, was great. However the pool was a little cold, since the sun only hits it in the afternoon.

Received coupon books upon checkin, which contained some good deals, including a free lunch buffet at the Garden Buffet on the 1st floor, which they also accept for breakfast. If you are looking for a fancy buffet, this is not the place to go. However, if you want good food at a very reasonable price (breakfast was only $6.99 with a Bloody Mary or Mimosa included), this is the place to go. We ate there once for dinner the night we checked in and twice for breakfast and were very pleased each time.

Parking was plentiful, with some outside spots and a HUGE 7 floor parking garage which was great to help keep the car from baking when it was 110 degrees.

The front desk people were very helpful – when I asked about using the points on my Player card toward my bill, they explained how to do that, along with pointing me to the Business Center when I had some items I wanted to ship home. Checkout was just as efficient.

The only ‘down side’ to the whole trip was the long walk from the parking garage to the hotel room elevators, especially with luggage. But then there is valet parking and bell service, if you desire.

I’ve never stayed at any of the ‘Strip’ hotels further north on Las Vegas Blvd. but I can’t imagine them giving me more value for my money than what South Point provides for a vacation visit.

1 Thank Idreamof
Wow, thanks for such an awesome review on our property. We are really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you plan a return trip sometime soon.

Salisbury
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Having absolutely no idea of what Las Vegas would actually be like in "Real" Life! This hotel was a great find! It is at the southernmost point(hence it's name!)of Las Vegas Boulevard with a regular Shuttle to the Main part of the Strip. We had everything we could possibly want in that hotel, great , cheap and lovely rooms, a fabulous selection of Dining,for all tastes. An exciting atmosphere with superb staff, A Cinema, a Bowling Alley, a lovely swimming pool and an Equestrian area that frequently holds Rodeos and other Cowboy Entertainment. All Fabulous Will Deffinately stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Octavia, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 July 2010

My husband was entered in the world series of roping finals held at south Pointe last december. My son, his wife and 1 1/2 year old son was with us. My grandson had some kind of virus most of the time we were in vegas. Lots of dirty sheets and towels because of that but the housekeeping staff was so good to us. They didn't seem to mind the extra work keeping clean linens and things for them. So kudos to them for that. Overall, we had a nice time in spite of that. Would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
SouthPointLV, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2010
Thanks for the compliments on our housekeeping staff; we really appreciate that. We hope you can visit with us again soon.

Tsawwassen, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2010

When we booked this hotel I was a little worried about how big the room would be considering the price we paid. I was not dissapointed at all as the rooms were a fair size. The hotel is a bit of a drive from the strip but that could also be considered beneficial. The rooms were very clean and smelled fine (I really dislike smelly hotels). We ate at the Big Sur Oyster bar and were very pleased with the crab leg special, the Oysters Rockerfeller and the wine we had. I can't say I have any complaints about this resort.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I stayed here for two nights with my wife and two boys, ages 12 and 14. The hotel was clean, the room was of decent size and we had no real complaints. I thought the beds were quite comfortable and we all slept pretty solid. That was one of my main reasons for choosing the hotel, two queen beds at no additional costs. It is a casino, so I didn't have any false ideas that me and my family were their target audience. There were no smiles, just and efficient, almost robotic, check-in. To be fair to them though, they were right. Besides what I spent on the room I didn't contribute another cent to their business. Didn't gamble, didn't buy any of their overpriced meals, not even a soda. Sorry South Point.

I had never visited Las Vegas before so I didn't actually know what "off the strip" meant. I'm thinking a couple blocks back from the strip. Not exactly, think 4-5 miles. Basically on the highway bypass around the city. That's fine, I'm not complaining...just didn't know we were going to be so far away.

The whole casino scene is somewhat icky to me but I am trying to not let that pollute my review. We didn't go to LV for gambling, just to see what the place was about. So this place really was just a place to stay for us. Yes, you must walk through the casino to get to your room; but I just chalk that up to the cost of staying in Vegas. If you have a good open relationship with your family (especially your two teen age sons), it's actually a good teaching environment on the ways of the world. Anyways, everything you want to do in Vegas requires you to walk through a casino.

There was a gas station/convenience store within a stones throw. I got my morning coffee there. Why didn't i drink the hotel coffee? Because you get a single cup package. It makes a SINGLE cup, and you get one. That wasn't quite going to cut it for me and my wife. The down side to going to the nearby gas station/store is it's a 20 minute or more round trip. It takes 5-7 minutes just to get to your car (and of course 5-7 to go back to the room). So the five minutes to drive there get your joe and drive back takes at least 20 minutes. But I got other things as well, breakfast for the boys, water, etc. I probably could have chased down a cleaning lady for more coffee but to make in the room but I didn't mind the trip.

Housekeeping knocked on our door at 8:15 in the morning. What is that about? I guess I should look at it from their point of view. How many times has the occupant been passed out and they didn't know whether they were checking out or "checking out". Besides that we were not bothered at all.

Oh, NO INTERNET...unless you spend 12.99.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Worse hotel ever. This hotel has no regard towards patrons. Upon arrival the housekeeping manager let herself into our room with her key to check I'd we were "ok". Afterwards we placed a " do not disturb" sign outside only to have her return leaving with my jewelry that has yet to be compensated. The front desk was very nonchalant and careless about the missing valuables as I was told there were no comptent managers on duty on the weekends. Will never ever waste my money here again and I strongly advise anyone to never stay here!!!

• Stayed July 2010