“Very disappointing and rather depressing”

South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa
Ranked #44 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We have stayed on 2 previous occasions at the Venetian which is very good but pricey. On this occasion we were only going to have an overnight stop over between flights and decided based entirely on the TA reviews to try this hotel. How very disappointed we were. To me the hotel is exactly how I imagine a fairly down market Vegas hotel to be. Yes it is 4 star but this ranking can only be based on the range of the facilities offered and not their quality. To begin with the hotel is a long way from the strip (out taxi from the airport cost $34). The casino ( which as usual you have to go through to get to the room elevators) is very smokey and looks rather sad. The carpets in the corridor to our room had seen better days many years ago - they were worn grubby and badly puckered. The room whilst large and quite clean was very tired in appearance and the bed was awful.

We wanted supper and having seen the Mexican restaurant mentioned in several reviews decided to give it a try. One look at the virtual fast food establishment made us change our minds pretty quickly and instead we went to the Silverado Steak house. This is obviously intended to be a cut above the other food outlets ( apart from Michael's). The service there was good and efficient but the food was mediocre at best and definately not worth the money.
We had fun at the bowling alley but the pool area in the morning was ordinary at best and there were large numbers of families with young children . There were very long queues for breakfast and none of the options were particularly appealing anyway.
Despite asking the concierge to order a taxi van to carry our family of 5 back to the airport after waiting for 50 mins one still hadn't turned up and we were obliged to take 2 at additional cost. The taxi driver told me that 5 seaters wouldn't bother going all the way to the South Point to pick up a fare beacause it was out of the way. We did not have that problem on the strip.

Admittedly the hotel room was very cheap but do not be fooled but the 4 star ranking into thinking that you will be staying at an establishment that is only a little way down from a 5 star place. There is a world of difference both in the quality of the facilities and the overall ambience. Personally if I were to go to Vegas again then I would definately chose to stay closer to the strip and pay more to stay in some where that was a little special. I am sure that there are much better 4 star hotels around.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa

Reviewed 9 August 2010

The South Point Hotel is a great location for families. The hotel rooms are WONDERFUL and there is alot to do as well as a full service casino -- something for everyone!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Went to South Point Hotel/casino/spa for 6 days this month, AUG 1-6. It was INCREDIBLE!!! From the CLEANLINESS of the rooms to the EXCELLENT BUFFET it was FANTASTIC!!! PRIME RIB was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! Staff was VERY FRIENDLY. Room was HUGE and VERY CLEAN. Casino was FANTASTIC!! Bed was KING SIZE!! Pool /area was BEAUTIFUL!! Actually WON some money on the SLOTS!!! Can't say enough about the place. BEST time I've had in Las Veags in quite a while. Looking forward to my next stay. I don't believe there's any place that you can call "perfect" but I give South Point 9.75 out of 10!!!!! Don't miss it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2010

My wife and I went to Vegas to work on our rental property and we decided to stay at the South Point. I found the rates to be very reasonable and the hotel had pretty much everything you need right there. We didn't get a change to enjoy it all but it has a movie theater, bowling alley, and several restaurants. There are a lot of different restaurants with pretty much any style cuisine you could want.

The AC unit in our room made an annoying ticking noise that made it hard to sleep so we notified the front desk after the first night and they moved us into a new room for the remainder of our stay. They also discounted all of the nights we stayed there so we basically ended up getting the last night free. The rooms are nice and very roomy with a 42" flat screen TV. We are going back to Las Vegas soon for a quick trip and we will be staying at the South Point again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
SouthPointLV, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2010

Wow, thanks for such a nice review of our property. It's exciting to know your first stay went so well you will be staying with us again. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 August 2010

We stayed here for four nights in the middle of the summer heat and loved it. This hotel has it all: big and clean rooms, an impressive 15$ breakfast/lunch buffet (read: early dinner) in the weekend, a restaurant for every day of the week, nice pool area with a shallow pool for children, a huge bubble pool for the ones who like it hot, as well as a normal pool for the rest of us, a huge bowling hall, an arcade hall and a 16 screen cinema complex!

So even if you are not in Vegas to gamble you could actually have a great vacation just staying at the hotel. The gambling and bingo halls would probably satisfy the gamblers too. We used the hotel as a base and drove the 15-20 minutes into the heart of the Strip were you would go to se the shows and the insane amusement park for grown ups and children alike called Las Vegas.

We liked the free parking and that it is only a 5 min. drive to Food4Less, and disliked paying 13$ for internet (per unit per day) and 10$ for changing rooms. If you want to use the spa area and the training room, which we didn´t, you have to pay 25$ extra. But for the budget minded these extra expenses are avoidable and a hotel like this for just over 50$ per night through the weekend, is just incredible.

This is syden and danskebåten in a complete package which is Norwegian for sun, cheap alcohol, young people partying and old people sipping drinks, listening to out dated artists and playing slot machines. But yet it is possible to have a fairly quiet vacation in this impressive resort.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
SouthPointLV, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2010

Thank you for such a great review of our property. We are so excitied to hear you enjoyed your visit and we hope you can plan a future stay with us.

Reviewed 4 August 2010

Unless you want to be treated like a criminal. We went to the pool one morning and no towels, eventually a kid showed up with a cart of them at 10:30 am so I went over to get towels for me, the wife and kids. I was told I was only allowed one. I explained that my family is by the pool and he didn't believe me and started grabbing the towels? So I asked if he wanted to walk over to them with me so he could verify "my story". To my suprise he said yes. After everything checked out (lol) then I had to return with him to sign the faded dingy towels out? I asked for the manager and explained to her that maybe this isn't how you want to treat people and she told me "its your perogative to go somewhere else"

From now on, I will- Its a dump

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank UALDEN

We are sorry to hear you did not have an enjoyable experience at our property and appreciate your feedback. We want you to know that we will address this information and hope this will not deter you from visiting us in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2010

This hotel is very good a value if you just want to lay out at the pool, gamble and stay away from the very large crowds. The pool and jaguzzi are never over crowded and you can always find a lounge chair. There is an abundance of gaming tables and slots and I never had to wait for a seat at the tables.
My room was very clean and the staff friendly.
If you are traveling with a family they have things to do in-house such as the movies, bowling or even hit the arcades.
I always rent a car when I am in Las Vegas, but there is a shuttle to the other casinos and I believe the near by outlet mall.
They have a very good buffet which was included in my on-line reservation. The finer dining restaurants were not open during my stay.
Over all I enjoyed this south end strip hotel and did recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends

Thanks for a really nice review on our property. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and look foward to your next stay.