“Off Strip Bliss”

Ranked #34 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
San Diego, California
“Off Strip Bliss”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

As other reviews well point out, there are some oddities built into the Red Rock property. However, if you want to stay in a fun, well thought out resort without any of the riff-raff that is always associated with staying on the Las Vegas strip, then Red Rock is where you want to be. Rooms are plenty big for a couple as well as cozy and stylish. The beds are blissfully comfortable, the tub has room for two (thank you Red Rock!), there is a separate shower stall and double sink in the bathroom. There are great restaurants around the casino (Tbones is a favorite for drinks, appetizers, steak and great service at the bar, LBS has outstanding burgers, The Feast buffet is worth the price of admission AND there is even a mall-style food court as well), an awesome bowling alley, a Regal Cinemas movie theater (great popcorn) and a huge, fun Bingo hall. In summer, you would be well advised to hang in the pool area and the spa and gym should NOT be ignored. Yes, the daily resort fee ads up pretty quickly, though it is worth it at the end of the day if you use the internet and well equipped gym. I have had several massages at The Spa and have not been disappointed. All in all, Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa has become my favorite Las Vegas destination and I will head back to it any time the opportunity presents itself.

Room Tip: Take a canyon view room, it adds to the experience of being in Nevada and away from the strip.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Rick G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Monterey
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Overall nice stay. Valet / Bell services were excellent, and check in was quick. Wonderful room off the strip, and overlooking Red Rock scenic area. Very nice room, even with a doorbell. Very quiet, except for the neighbors door shutting hard. Courteous cleaning service. The restaurants had good variety and menu, but the food preparation and service were poor, and overpriced. I will come again, but probably eat somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MontereyWineGuy
Dallas
Reviewed 4 December 2011

The family was itching to take a trip somewhere on thanksgiving break so I found a hot deal on American Airilines Vacations for air and hotel to Red Rock ($350 per person from dallas). I love Vegas and usually visit a few times a year. However, I have always been reluctant to take the whole family. My kids are older now (11 and 16) so I figured they would be mature enough to understand the Vegas concept. Plus, we are staying way off the strip in Summerlin at Red Rock which I figured would be away from the big crowds. I was right, Summerlin is a very nice suburb of Vegas close to the mountains. I have stayed at other "Station" properties like Green Valley Ranch and have been pleased so I figured Red Rock was worth a look. Boy, was I right. What a great hotel.

Red Rock is a large complex with hotel, spa and casino. It aso has bowling alley, a movie theate and kids arcade. The pool area is large and beautiful but was too cool for swimming. There are multple bars, reastuarants and a fast food court. The decor is contemporary with lots of crystal chandelieres. The rooms are clean, modern and spacious. We had a small issue with a toilet valve that we had maintennance fix the first day (service was prompt). One odd feature, was the bathroom door made of an opaque glass that did not block the light from inside. So if someone goes to the restroom at night, the light wakes you up even with the door closed. The rooms were always clean and any service needs were quickly addressed. Our walk to the room seemed very long because of the configuration of the hotel. So if this bothers you, request a room close to the elevators.

You could stay at the Red Rock Hotel the whole time and be totally content. The Red Rock Canyon area is about 10 minutes away and it offers some great views and hiking trails. We wanted to do this but ran out of time. We did to see a few shows on the Strip which is about a 20 minute drive depending on traffic. We rented a vehicle, but there is a free hotel shuttle to/from the Strip. I play poker, video poker and pai-gow poker adn teh teh ccasino was very nice and not too smoky. The poker room was spacious and busy. My kids had a gerat time in the arcade and the movie theater. Overall, this was a great trip and everybody had fun. Definilty, a good family Vegas spot and I recommend it. We will definitley go back.

Room Tip: Request a room close to the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Golfing_Gregg
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Red Rock Resort in a King Room 18th floor(of 20) facing the Red Rock Mountains.
The rooms are plush and a perfect size for a couple to enjoy.The decor is a bit dark and the lightning takes quite some time to diagnose so you can adjust it to your requirements.The Bose Wave Radio is a really nice touch!
We found the bed to be semi-soft but still quite comfy, and we slept quite well on it.Everything in the room worked fine and the deep soaker tub filled very rapidly, and having the TV in the bathroom was very handy.
It is a long hallway if your room is located more than halfway down because the elevators (which are the fastest we have ever experienced) are located at one end and the building is long and shaped like a bow..For us it didn't matter at all and I even asked for a room farther down the hall.
We ate at the buffet which is quite good and the Grand Cafe which had some crabby employees, one which gave us less than half full glass's of orange juice and charged us for them! We were not impressed with some of the people working in that restaurant at all.
That said most of the interactions with employees were fine and when passing them in the hallways they acknowledged us with a hello.
The spa amenities are great and after a workout in the nice exercise room I went and soaked in the large hot tubs and steam room.They also have a nice lap-pool just outside the exercise room which was very warm..The spa amenities are gender separated, the men have there caves that you walk to down a long corridor and the ladies are located in another area not far from the reception desk.
It wasn't busy at all when we stayed there and almost felt like we had the entire 18th floor to ourselves..Never heard any noise at all except for the odd slam of the heavy entrance doors to a suite near ours.
The location of the resort shouldn't be a issue since if you do your homework then you will discover that it is located about 10 miles west of the strip.If you rent a car it is a easy drive straight up West Charleston Blvd to the strip..If you like, you can use the hotel shuttle which will drop you at the Fashion Show Mall.
We only went to the strip once to see a show and we parked in one of the many free parkades at the Fashion Show Mall.
Their is shopping directly across the street from Red Rock (Costco,Best Buy) and back up #215 towards the airport there is another large shopping area with JC Penny etc about 2.5 miles.
Another issue that we didn't care for at Red Rock is they charge a substantial $27.00 daily resort fee and then when we went to the 5th floor to use the business centre computer they charge a fee based on a dollar per minute to use a computer! That's Buffoonery Indeed...A quick log on to print boarding pass's is a flat fee of $5.21!
All in all we enjoyed our stay at Red Rock and we definitely would go back and stay again and next time it will be when those very nice looking pools and loungers are open and the weather is hot.We will just stay away from the Grand Cafe and not use their Business Centre.

Room Tip: If you want a short walk ask for a room closer to the elevators..Also park in the east parkade becau...
5 Thank Trailblazer44
Natick, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 December 2011

For the most part, the Red Rock is a great hotel. I'm giving it a qualified 5, even though it had some issue.

Here are the good things:
- Comfortable beds.
- Nice furnishings. Dark woods. Stylish.
- Nice shower. Stone tiles.
- Great views. We looked out on the strip, very pretty at night. The mountain views would be better during the day.
- Lots of restaurant and fast food choices. Two Starbucks.
- You don't have to walk through the casino to get to the rooms.
- Pretty nice workout room. Not 25,000 square feet (must be a typo on the web site), but still good.

The Odd and not-so-good

- Essentially no counter space on the bathroom. You perch your stuff on narrow strips surrounding each sink.
- No ventilation in the bathroom. After you take a shower, the room fills with steamy air.
- The toilet is separated from the bathroom by a not-so-isolating sliding door. You really have to close the door between the room and the bathroom for privacy.
- The rooms are quite small, and the door opens to a direct view of the bed.
- Very long hallways. And they're curved, so you can't tell where you are (it looks the same unless you're very close to one end). Not a big deal, but it can be disorienting.
- Oddly, the remote for the TV barely works. You have to hit the buttons several times each time to change channels.
- This one is increasingly common. The hotel charges a $27 "Resort Fee", which supposedly goes toward wi-fi, the workout room, and other amenities. But it's mandatory, even if you don't use any of the services associated with the fee. It should be included in the room fee, not hidden in the small print.

If you want to stay off the strip, the Red Rock is one of the better choices.

5 Thank Lee H
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We have been pretty loyal to Station Casinos, but that loyalty is waning. On the surface, this hotel looks beautiful and we were excited to stay and play there. But it was one frustrating detail after another, and while all of them we small, it started to add up.
First, we (like others have commented) had a very difficult time finding the registration desk from parking garage. It was on a separate floor and not well marked. We schlepped around a bit with four pieces of luggage and we able to find registration and check in.
Next: The room was visibly attractive and appeared to be well appointed. I had a bit of a headache and wanted to take something for it. As has already been noted, there was no water glasses in the room. I called the front desk to ask about that and she explained that "for safety reasons" they are not included in the room. Huh??? So I thought about it and thought that because of the glass and the marble floors in the bathroom, they might break and shatter - She had some sent up - and here is the ironic thing - they were plastic! Is plastic unsafe?? My last comment on this is - Okay, if you are not going to provide drinking glasses (or plastic cups) wouldn't a very nice little sign next to the ice bucket explaining that save a lot of frustration on the part of the guest and extra time wasted on the phone with the staff?
The rest of the details left us thinking that whoever designed this place and called the shots was either a practical joker, a newly minted graduate of "if everyone expects a zig, I'm gonna give them a zag" school, or a self appointed expert on the difference between a hotel and a resort.. It was quite comical at times to witness the huge disconnect between what this "resort" wants to be, and what well traveled patrons need it to be.
The room lighting was interesting... switched all over the place, different combinations of light. We had fun with that one.
Only FOUR drawers!! Are you kidding me?? So in a RESORT, are we supposed to live out of out suitcases? That makes no sense to me, but that's what we were forced to do..
The TV remote was almost non-functional. When I called about that, I was told that they were having a hard time getting the new ones - they were on back order. Again, hard to believe that that detail was overlooked..When I went to see if I could turn off the TV manually, I ran my fingers along the top and was covered in dust. Ah-chew!
The restaurants were okay - Dinner at T-Bones was excellent, as was the wait staff. We also ate at the Mexican restaurant and the Italian restaurant. Food was good, but wait staff was not very personable. Professional yes, but not at all warm or friendly.
We went the buffet for breakfast. Staff was very nice - I ordered a cup of coffee and a glass of milk - the waitress was so sweet and apologetic - as she told us they were out of milk and cream for the coffee. Huh?? She was finally able to get some cream for the coffee, but no milk. I felt bad for her, having to tell that to her customers.
The room we had was at the very end of the hallway - and it was a LONG hallway. No elevators in the middle, they were only on one end of the hotel. We made jokes about that too.

Then the final problem - and it was a big one. My husband's casino host "Joanie" had promised him that, based on his play, she could comp the room and mostly all of our food. When we went to check out, nothing was comped. Absolutely nothing. It was 7 am and we had a flight to catch - she was not in until noon. He ended up using a majority of his points - points that elevated him to the Chairman's Club - points that he had acquired over the years as a loyal patron of the Station Casinos. They almost all gone now. He was able to speak to her, and while she was apologetic and thought it was all taken care of, there was nothing she could do to replace those points. She told him that he could've put it on a credit card and she could've reversed that charge, but that information was too late.
The reason I took the time to write this is:
a) for a place whose lifeblood is hospitality, I am shocked at the number of details this "resort" missed and
b) I was the one who suggested we try the Red Rock and my husband obliged. I feel obligated to let others know that this place does not deliver on any of it's visible promise. It looks good, but that's all it is..

8 Thank Maggie R
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My wife and I stayed four nights for our company's convention. The decor is a beautiful mix of wood and stone work. The restaurants throughout the resort serve everything from sushi to steaks, seafood to a world cuisine buffet. The casino has a cheap feel and is VERY smoky. Deep roomy bathtubs with instant hot water. My only complaint on the rooms is that there is no way to open a window, so a/c or stale air are the options.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business