“The best off the strip”

Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa
Ranked #32 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I love Vegas, but in small doses. If you're looking for a place to stay that has all the amenities of a real resort without the obnoxiousness of the strip, this is the place. It has more than just a casino with a movie theater, bowling alley, tons of restaurants (although not the BEST), and a spa to die for.

Even if you don't end up staying here, GO TO THE SPA. If you get a massage, go early to soak in the mineral pool before hand. You get all day access to a private pool as well and you can have your lunch delivered to enjoy on the deck. It is the top of luxury and the nicest I've ever been to.

The rooms are to die for. I was ready to take the bathroom home with me. The tub was perfect for a romantic evening soaking with your lover.

Everything about this place was top notch. Yes, it is about 15 minutes from the strip, but it's close enough that it's not a big deal to drive over there for the evening. And unlike the other hotels on the strip, the lobby doesn't get crowded with herds of people passing through. We went with a family group (all adults) and the hotel had enough going on that we could spend time together, but not too much :) We also did the kayaking tour they offer and it was TOTALLY worth it!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank digitalrenee

Reviewed 18 June 2009

Most of the negative reviews seem to be from people who do not educate themselves and prepare properly for their trips. The resort fee is clearly stated on the hotel website. Also, do you really expect to be able to manhandle the items in the minibar without being charged? Who wants to purchase anything from the minibar after you've been handling it? People, wake up. Take responsibility for yourselves. If you are going to stay at a 5 star hotel, you expect to pay more for everything. Accept it. If you can't afford it, stay somewhere within your budget.

We first stayed at the Red Rock a month after it opened, and it keeps getting better. This was our 5th stay.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2009

The Good:
This place is really beautiful in every way. The lobby, the casino, the restaurants, the rooms were all very upscale. The staff members we dealt with, especially the parking valets and the pool people, were friendly and seemed to genuinely care about whether or not we were enjoying ourselves or needed anything. We like the location away from the Strip because we like to fly to Vegas and rent a fun car like a Mustang convertible, so driving to and from the resort is no problem, and then we can also drive around in Red Rock Canyon which is beautiful. Who needs to be on the Strip (especially if you've "Been there/Done that") when you can have views of Red Rock Canyon?
Also, there is almost no smell of cigarette smoke in this resort. The only time we smelled cigarettes was when we were in the casino and were right next to a smoker, and then we could just quietly walk away. (By contrast, on a previous trip last month, we stayed in a condo, and we went into the Tropicana to eat a quick bite, and we were literally blown away by the disgusting smoky smells at that old hotel - from the minute we walked in the door, throughout the entire casino, and in the restaurant. Our clothes and hair reeked after we left the Tropicana, and I doubt we will ever go back in there again!) The Red Rock must have more modern air exchangers, because the air was truly fresh, everywhere we went in there.
The backyard is what they call the pools area, and it was also spectacular. You can tell from the photos on this website that they don't have any of the traditional old-timey lounge chairs around the pools. Instead there are these really comfortable single and double beds. Some are round, and others are in the shallow water at the edge of the main pool. There are many pools and an interesting fountain.
We had booked a package called Party at the Pool, not something I would have chosen ordinarily, but I happened on it on their website, and found that we would actually save significant money on our room and as a free bonus have some fun at the pool with a ca-bed, some snacks, and liquor thrown in. The room in the package is a signature suite which is very very nice. It has a living room area, bedroom, and two bathrooms, one of which is a toilet and vanity, and the other is a full bathroom larger than some hotel rooms I've seen. Everything in the suite was first class from the three televisions to the linens and bed, to the toiletries. The sound proofing was excellent and we heard no noises from the hallways or footfalls from rooms above us.
When I booked this package, I had no idea what the ca-bed is or what bottle service at the pool means, but the cost of the suite went down and the rest of the package was thrown in, so it was a no-brainer!
Here's what it turned out to be: The ca-bed is a little upgrade at the pool. It is not a traditional cabana which is much much nicer, but very expensive. The ca-bed is like a canopy structure around the lounging bed. It has canvas curtains on the sides that you can untie for privacy, I guess, but no cover on the top of the canopy to shade you from the sun. I do not think I would have found the ca-bed to be worth its cost separately from the package, but, by booking the package, as I said, we got the ca-bed, chips and salsa, bottle service, and the suite for much less money, so yeah the package was a great deal. By the way bottle service means that the server at the pool brings you a bottle of your choice of a premium liquor and whatever mixers you want, plus lime slices, cups, and ice buckets. Things were looking pretty good to us after that!!! The food we ordered at the pool was excellent, by the way. We got some appetizers like chicken satay skewers and coconut shrimp, all with different dipping sauces. Later, my husband also got some hot dog sliders which he loved.
Do not leave any of your food when you get up to dip in the pool as the crows are always watching for any opportunity to move in for a feast!

The bad:
The only problems we had on this trip were with the suite. It took them three tries to get it right.
At first we were sent up to a suite with a view of the backyard and mountains that still had the previous guests' luggage in it! This was a new experience for us. It was really a shock to open the door (yes, our keys worked) and find someone else's luggage standing inside the door as if the people were maybe waiting to move to a different suite. We called out, but there was no one inside, just luggage. It was about 3 p.m., too late for them to be waiting to check out (check out time is noon), so the only thing I can think of is that they were waiting for a better room to be ready. We beat a hasty retreat back to the lobby, and they were as surprised as we were by the luggage in the room.
They couldn't find us another equivalent suite and told us we may have to wait a while for one to be cleaned. At this point we were getting pretty frazzled, and when they wanted to give us a suite on a floor designated as a smoking floor (I think there are two of those floors), we asked if we could just have an upgrade (no) or a break on the price. The clerk offered us $50 food credit for being on a smoking floor, but my husband was not happy about having to do that. The clerk went to talk to a manager, and after about 10 minutes came back having "found" another suite for us.
When we got up there, oh my gosh it was horrible! I think they had taken it out of service and that is why it didn't show on the clerk's computer. The minute we walked in we could hear the water pipes rumbling like a locomotive. The sound varied from a drumming sound to a very loud chugging. If you turned on the water, it stopped. My husband was getting cranky and looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him if he wanted to go back down to the lobby and try for yet another room. Since the sound was mainly in the living room, that night we just closed the bedroom door, and we could barely hear it unless it was in its chugging phase. At about 2 a.m., he yelled to me over the chugging sound, "Let's call the desk in the morning and ask if there is another room!"
Two other problems with the room were that it was on the 4th floor, "Strip view" side, and actually gave a view of a parking garage and the side of a building. It was depressing, especially since the windows were totally coated with grime. When I called down, they apologized and found us another room which was to be ready between 1 and 3 p.m. It wasn't ready at 1 or at 3. After 4, they finally had a room for us, and it was spectacular. It was on the 8th floor and had a view of the backyard and those beautiful mountains we had come there for! Clear windows! No noise from the pipes! Hooray!!!!!
Bottome line:
I do not hold it against them that they had to try three times to get us a decent room, and I will definitely go back there again!
The food at the pool was the best. The buffet was really good as was the cafe. As another Trip Advisor reveiwer noted, the beers you can order brought to you within the buffet were the best price, so thanks for that great tip!
By the way, we had a ball gambling at the Red Rock. Although we've been to Vegas many times, our most recent gambling had been at some of the Indian casinos like Pechanga and Pala where the slots odds do not seem to be good at all. But at the Red Rock, we got many many smaller payouts all the time which made it lots of fun, and we got one or two nice bigger payouts so we didn't feel like total idiots. All in all I'm sure we left a little more money in their machines than they gave back to us, but it seemed like the slots were looser there, and it was much more fun hearing all the bells and whistles going off all the time.
All in all, I highly recommend the Red Rock. It was well worth the money, especially since we found that special on their website that brought the cost down and the fun way way up.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank HuntingtnBeachGidget
Reviewed 2 June 2009

This being my 12 trip to Vegas, I wanted to try out a new hotel (as I usually try to do each time)
I will keep this brief...
Red Rock is WAY off the strip. Not Palms off the strip, but $45 cab ride off the strip, so don't plan on having any "traffic" in your hotel with the exception of hotel guests and LOTS of locals.
The only way to describe the pool is odd. Although it looks very pretty, there are limited umbrellas (as in all of Vegas) and the first row of chairs is immersed in water so there is really no place to put your stuff unless you grab a mini table. Even still the tables are tiny, so my friend and I had quite a few things fall into the pool throughout our stay. LOTS of families and kids (which is fine if that is what you want) Music was great for one day while we were there. The second day they were preparing for a concert so music was shut off and we listened to sound checks all afternoon at top volume. The following day "Cherry" the topless pool/bar area had their own music which wasnb't really loud enough to hear, but obviously loud enough for them to not put on their music.
Because of the things falling off tables into the water, there were quite a few floating cups and bottles in pool which just made it look disgusting.
Food was good. We ate at Terra Rosa (which was okay) and TBones (which was also okay) There was NO stanbd out service at all here, and the steak looked like about half the size of one I would get in NYC for the same price. Although prices were pretty reasonable. The bartender in the lobby bar was the one exception to stand out service. He made the best chocolate martinis and balanced us all night with fresh water so we wouldn't get drunk! Food at the outdoor/pool restaurant was surprisingly good and service was pretty fast.
Spa
OUTSTANDING. best massage and facial and facilities were very very nice. They do tack on a 20% gratuity automatically, but they ask if you would like to adjust it at the end of the service. I left the 20%. My bill was close to $500 for two treatments, so be prepared to buck up.
Casino
Most tables were $10 minimum and they had pretty much every game. I only played blackjack and craps. Dealers were pretty friendly.
Overall I would NOT recommend this hotel if you have never been to Vegas. Stay somewhere on the strip. This hotel seems like it wants to be hip/trendy/cool, but it ends up being something else that I just cannot identify. Still hail Bellagio and Mirage as my favorites ( I have written reviews on them as well)

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2009

The resort was nice of course, but I thought it was overpriced. The rooms werent cheap, then the "resort" fee charge, and way too expensive minibar compared to other places in vegas. It was a nightmare for me to call the resort and have them give me specifically where the shuttle pickup was, then my check in took forever. While its a nice place no doubt, I felt the service was hit or miss and I hate being nickel and dimed.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2009

We booked into the Red Rock as we had tickets to see the Allman Brothers who were appearing there. We were impressed by the reviews and hoped that the Resort would live up to them - it certainly did. Our room was well appointed, clean, very comfortable and the television over the deep tub was a real bonus!
There are plenty of dining options to suit all tastes and budgets. We ate in the 24 hour Grand Cafe and the excellent Buffet. The food was excellent quality in both however the choice at the buffet was terrific from soups to salads; Asian to bbq; American to Italian; Desserts to Pastries, to name just some of the stations.
During our three night stay as well as the Allmans concert and playing the casino we took in the new Star Trek film at the excellent 16 screen cinema but didn't have time for bowling at the in house bowling lanes or even relaxing by the beautiful pool.
It is a very different Las Vegas experience and one we thoroughly enjoyed and will repeat. It is a great way to get away from The Strip for a few days to relax and unwind but still be able to play the tables or slots. It is not the place to stay if you want to see a differnt show on The Strip every night as it is about a $50 cab ride into the City. It is also about $50 to and from the Airport.
One tip - the Lobby and Casino elevators are at one end of the hotel. We had room 155 out of a possible 158 and had to walk almost tjhe length of the hotel to get to our room. If you dont want to walk so far to get to your room ask for one with a low number!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pots2005
Reviewed 24 May 2009

This resort is amazing. Everything is beatiful, the staff is well-trained and knowledgable about the resort and the area. THe conference center events ran without a flaw and the conferenece service desk workers were very helpful. The rooms are beautiful. Bathroom was my favorite part with a seperate toilet room. His and her sinks and a deep soaking/jetted bathrub. My only complaint is that there was hair in both my bathtub and shower.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business