Message from TripAdvisor:

“Good hotel - Kitchen facilities make it a Very Good”

Signature at MGM Grand
Ranked #13 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
South Croydon
“Good hotel - Kitchen facilities make it a Very Good”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Check in:
Arrived via taxi from the airport so was interesting to see the whole set-up with gated entry and the security checking our name against expected guests. We were directed to Tower 3. Check in was fine, had to wait about 5 mins before being seen by Barbara. She was friendly, helpful covered all of our questions, probably one of the best initial experiences I have had from a Vegas hotel. We had no special requests, so were given a strip facing room on the 5th floor.

Room:
We had a standard Deluxe Suite. For a basic room at low cost, I think the room compare well to others at competing hotels. At 550 sq ft it is a little larger than the entry level at other hotels. I would have preferred a 1 bed suite but was under orders from my brother to keep the cost down. The room was clean and the standard pictures you can find on most sites give a good guide. There was some peeling wallpaper (noted by my bro) but I can't say it bothered me at all. The bathroom was fine, well equipped and spacious. I would have liked better spray options on the shower though as it was nice and large but no matter how I played with the shower head it was still quite concentrated.

The kitchen facilities were pretty good, a stove top, microwave, fridge, cuttlery, plates, glasses, coffee making etc. This compares to the Cosmo where I had a wraparound suite and despite having the kitchen, there was nothing to cook with or eat on. As we planned on doing some of our own cooking, I requested some saucepans (only had a frying pan) and they arrived later that day. For me the major plus is having a fridge, I hate hotels where you have nowhere to store your own drinks or milk.

I found the main bed too hard, I slept better on the sofa bed. The room was relatively quiet though although the large gap under the door meant that sounds carried from the corridor when people came home drunk. Overall though it was peaceful which was great.

The room had a small balcony but it was disappoiting that there was no furniture for you to sit on. At the least I would have expected some chairs and a table so that I could sit outside and have a drink overlooking the pool.

Location:
The length of walk seems to be a constant debate regarding this hotel. From tower 3 I timed the walk to the MGM at 5-6 minutes walking at an average pace. Obviously you then have to walk through the MGM to the strip. The other alternative is to go out through the front gates, turn left and walk down to the strip (brings you to opposite the Aria and Cosmo). If the walk is that much of an issue, stay in one of the hotels in the centre of the strip like the Cosmo, Paris etc.

Facilities:
I tried the Signature Tower 3 pool once and wasn't a fan. It doesn't get the sun until after 12 noon and I felt hassled by the staff (us Brits prefer the "we'll ask when we need you approach" rather than someone coming over every 30 mintes and asking if I want drinks). I mainly used the pools at the MGM and they were fine. On weekends it gets packed (particularly when they close the largest pool for a photoshoot!) but at least you have a choice of pools and sound levels. I probably prefer the Aria for the pools, but the MGM is pretty good.

I used the fitness centre a few times and it was always reasonably quiet and relaxed. There was a good range of equipment and I could get what I wanted done.

I didn't use Delights so can't comment. I used the starbucks in Tower 2 a couple of times and it was as you would expect from them.

Other comments / overall:
Reading what I have written it sounds a little negative, but this is a little unfair. Overall I really liked the Signature and would definitely stay there again. Next time I would just pay a little more for a better room. Having the kitchen facilities were a huge plus for me as it gave me options and also made it feel more than just a room to sleep in. Being attached to the MGM is a plus, particularly if you are young and want to party - Hakkasan and Wet Repubic are really going for it this year with their resident DJ line ups.

I would put it behind the Aria and Venetian in terms of places I have stayed at before, but the price and some of the in room extras add a lot. When I go back later this year, the Signature is definitely on my short list. The determining factors will be who I am with, what type of holiday it is planned to be and where in the strip we want to be based.

Room Tip: I think the standard rule is that if you want something, be polite and ask if it would be possible w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Simon_Sq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the Signature half a dozen times before when attending a trade show at MGM Grand. It's a HUGE pain in the rear to walk half a mile, but it's air conditioned and better than walking outdoors. Plus the MGM Grand is such a filthy dump that the Signature always seemed like a palace by comparison.

Except this trip. For the first time, I learned the Signature has studios. Always before, I've had a nice suite with a balcony. This time? A shabby studio.

A *tiny* TV. Maybe 21" - smaller than my computer monitor anyway - and a little DVD player mounted by bracket underneath. A bed sharing the room with a "tiny" apartment refrigerator, and little one burner cooktop. I've seen nicer kitchens on 26' cabin cruiser boats. And the whole thing was just DIRTY. It has a strange smell, like a heavy cleaner trying to cover the stench of something horrifically nasty.

I saw dirt and debris on the hallway carpet.

In a year, the Signature went from a nice place to a Hampton Inn next to the interstate with a parking lot full of big rigs.

Your mileage may vary. Maybe the nicer suites still exist. Maybe they are still clean. But ask yourself this - if a room is only $100, can they afford to keep the place up like they could when rooms were $150 or $200?

In my case, the answer is NO.

I'm here as I write this. Outside because I want to spend as little time as possible inside. And in the morning I'll track down a manager and see about a VERY early checkout.

Sadly, it seems all the four star places in Vegas have become dumps in the recession. If you don't want to spend the $400 a night for Palazzo, Four Seasons, Mandarin, or the Wynn, you're going to get the same level of cleanliness and service you find on an airplane. Bring sanitizers!!!

Or try vDara or Aria. Last year they were both still very clean. And they're several years newer than the Signature.

I'm saddened by this. Next time I have a trade show at the MGM, I'll have to drive over instead of the (air conditioned) long walk...

• Stayed April 2013
SignatureManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Signature at MGM Grand, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Good Afternoon.

First and foremost I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. However I am very saddened to hear that it was such a negative experience for you. I would certainly like to discuss this further in hopes of welcoming you back in the future.
If you could please be so kind as to reach out to me directly so that we can find a resolution to this matter I would be honored. cdarbey@lv.mgmgrnad.com .

I look forward to hearing from you!

Catie Darbey
Assistant Manager of Guest Relations
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

For my first ever trip to Vegas, I was looking for something that was far enough away from the Strip for a bit of peace and quiet, but close enough to be in the heart of the action, and the Signature delivered.
There were no queues at check in, and I was allocated a 32nd floor suite in tower 3, with a view towards the strip.
The room was a very good size, spotless, with a balcony, kitchenette, whirlpool bath and a really good shower. In room wifi and wired connections good enough for uploading photos etc...
From the front gate, it is about a 6-7 minute walk to the strip (corner by Planet Hollywood), or through the walkway, 5 minutes to the monorail station at the MGM Grand.
The non-smoking policy in all the buildings made a nice change from the smoky casinos on the strip.
The room (booked through Olotels via Trivago) was just £85 per night including the resort fee.

Room Tip: I was in a suite on the 32nd floor, so I would definitely ask for a higher up room for the great vie...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Glasgow
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Very comfortable suite on the 33rd floor with balcony.Bed was so special it was a pleasure getting into it every night.Spotlessly clean the suite was serviced each day by great housekeeping staff who really went that extra mile
It was a real trek to the strip- at least 20 minutes to the strip so be prepared for a lot of walking before you even get anywhere.( we were in tower 3 )
The MGM has a monorail station which is really convenient- get a three day pass if you intend to go up and down the strip.
MGM hotel has all the amenities you would expect from a Vegas hotel

Room Tip: Ask for tower one- not so far to walk to get to the strip
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Very impressed, no queue to check in or out. Lovely room with kitchenette,comfy bed, great bathroom. Easy access to mgm grand and its pools, and its own pools lovely in that they were relatively quiet. Loved not having to walk through a smokey casino.
Only downside not as many food options as a strip hotel but still not far to go.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Clementon, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 April 2013

2 blocks from the strip and has a connection walkway to MGM. was quiet and from the 38th floor in the 3rd tower,where i stayed, a great view of Vegas. was an easy walk to and from the strip even with out going through MGM

Room Tip: i found this via the "vacation rentals" section here. i rented the jr penthouse. it seemed...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

A very pleasant hotel to stay at, everything you need, plenty of varied restaurants, shops, boutiques etc. With the advantage of being at a slightly quieter end of the strip.
Rooms were excellent, very comfortable & clean, we had two interconnecting rooms as this was a family holiday.

• Stayed April 2013