“Very decent stay, believe the reviews. Just consider the location”

Platinum Hotel and Spa
Ranked #7 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just had 4 nights here and pretty much all good. Must be my 25 ish trip to LV. Stayed at a few places over the years and also have had a separate night at the end of my trip in downtown for a different experience. As far as the strip area hotels concerned my last few visits have been New York New York and Signature. The latter being more comparable to the Platinum. All the reviews about the room quality are exactly right, the rooms are huge and well laid out. The massive breakfast counter was perfect for my notebook and laying out my stuff, loved it while enjoying a coffee or snack. I have the Princess suite but looking now at the floor plans they dont seem to much different from the solitaires so may do that next time. Having a washer / dryer in the room was brilliant, I work out at the gym 2 x day so being able to wash my own stuff was just great. The non smoking aspect is not to be overlooked and a big plus is a state that still is pretty open about smoking. Having free valet parking was good too and I never had to wait more than a couple of minutes. My only small gripes would be
1- The gym is ok, Startrac equipment but not in the best order and the cross trainers took a little work. I used to work with these so now what I'm doing. The entertainment system is a little poor to with just 3 channels to the tv's one of which was not working right. I was pretty much alone though so unlike some hotels where you're fighting for equipment there were no issues here. Its one of the few areas I can think that the Signature scores mush higher, its gym is exceptional.
2- I was on the 6th floor by the dreaded fans, these kicked in and you knew about it, otherwise there was no noise at all and you're not far from the pool and no issues, would have wanted to be a little higher.
3- Some may well be bothered by the location. The comment by a previous reviewer about 7/11 is spot on, you will pass a few folk that you really would like to avoid, shows the less glitzy side of LV and I never felt in any trouble but if I had my wife with me she would not be happy passing these people right by the hotel. Its about 10 minutes to Bally's the nearest main strip hotel. Most strip hotels it can take a while just to get to the front door / outside, at the Platinum at least you are not wading through acres of casino so I doubt the time factor was a huge difference. Again compared to the Signature you had a massive walk there to get to the strip but it was all covered and totally safe.

So I'm not sure which I would go back to on a future trip. Alone - then the Platinum and with my wife then possibly the Signature but both are decent choices if you prefer to have a room with more ammenities than a plain hotel room and want to be just a little away from the actual casino.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,804)

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We chose The Platinum Hotel based on reviews from TripAdvisor, and we had a great stay there. The room (two queen beds) is fantastic, with full kitchen, jacuzzi, 2 sinks, and lot of space, even for our group of 4. At the check-in we were upgraded to a better room, and also got an early check-in (just perfect after our 20 hour flight from Brazil!). The Platinum is a non smoking hotel, which is also great. The location is not perfect, because it is not in Strip, however, you can reach it in a 10 min walk. I really recommend one to rent a car in airport, because the hotel has a FREE valet parking, and most of cassinos also have free self or valet parking. Our main complain was regarding the internet access. There is wi-fi access, however, it is not free (you can choose between a 2-hour or daily rates), and the speed was not good during our stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
John A, General Manager at Platinum Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Thank you for your great comments. Because of the many comments about our internet charge, we do listen to our guests and we will be going to free internet service very soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is a great hotel to stay at while in Vegas. We will definitely be back. We travelled with our 7 year old son, and it is so nice to have a smoke-free hotel to stay at with your children. We all loved the pool as well. The water was a bit cool the first day we were there, but then they warmed it up considerably for the remainder of our stay. We had a wonderful time in the pool.
The rooms are remarkable--especially if you manage to get a corner room (they have expansive entry ways that make the room feel rather palatial). The shower and double jetted tubs are great after a day of walking around Vegas. The full kitchen is appreciated when traveling with a family, as is the in suite washer and dryer (How do kids manage to get so much food on their clothing so quickly?)
You get a nice view of the strip if you are on that side, and I would recommend it.
We were very pleased with the service at the front desk, and with the free wifi access.
It is a quick walk to the strip--we did it daily with our son. We walked back to the hotel nightly as well and never felt unsafe at all. It is very fast to get on the monorail system as well--the first entrance to Bally's will get you very near the monorail.
There are a number of convenience stores near the hotel where you can get items for your in suite kitchen--7/11 and another one across the street. As well, a few of the drug stores on the strip have fairly expansive grocery departments where we were able to stock up.
We saw a number of shows while in Vegas on this vacation. All were wonderful for us and our son--Love, Blue Man Group and Le Reve.
Thanks Platinum for a fantastic get-away. We will see you again soon!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

We are glad you had a fantastic get away and enjoyed the hotel and its amenities!

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I recently had the opportunity to stay at The Platinum Hotel in Las Vegas for four nights. My son's soccer team was playing in Las Vegas and our whole team was booked into the Platinum hotel. We had two queen sized beds, a full kitchen and a balcony overlooking the strip. The bathroom was spacious and included a whirlpool. It felt like I was renting a condo. They offer valet parking to a attached parking garage with the attendants speedy and very friendly. The restaurant hours seemed odd to me. They closed at 2:00p.m. I'd stay there again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the main strip.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Very nice suite, friendly helpful staff, excellent quality bed, beautiful big bathroom, no parking hassles. Breakfast was quite good at a reasonable price. The fitness centre is well equipped. Even the room service menu was good. The only thing that might be a consideration for some folks is the walk to the strip. It is direct and only a couple of blocks for about 12-15 minutes, but there is a short space past an empty lot that I didn't like at night. But cabs are quick and the trip is short, so we walked during the day when there were plenty of others on the street and cabbed at night. Our reservations were in place at the agreed price and check-in was quick. It is not a full service big hotel, so you have to expect a bit less, but for the price it was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Yes there are many great reviews already about The Platinum Hotel.  I have a couple of things to add to what people have already said.

The hotel is very quiet which is fantastic as it is a perfect escape from the frenzy of the Las Vegas strip.  You will not hear a thing in your room and will have a great night's sleep here.  They are adamant about their non-smoking policy so don't even think about staying here if you plan on smoking.  You will automatically be charged a $500 fine even for smoking on the balcony and the fine is not negotiable.  For me, this was a fantastic policy as I suffer from severe asthma.  Most hotels say their rooms are non-smoking, but I always find them to smell of smoke anyway.  There is no casino which is a plus.  You really feel like you're staying in a quiet apartment building, it turns out that some of the units are actually condos.  This is far more than just a room, it is a one bedroom apartment with a full washer/dryer and a full refrigerator with an oven and a cook-top.  There are many supermarkets nearby, so you are not forced to eat out all the time which is also a great perk.

There are a couple of cons that have been mentioned before, but not very frequently.  I do not recommend walking around this area at night.  The 7-eleven is next door to the hotel, so we ran over to get some supplies and were shocked at the people both inside and outside the store.  There were many edgy fringe characters on the street around the hotel.  I decided to drive the 3 minutes to the strip after this, even in the day time.  The second issue I have is just a matter of personal taste.  I disliked the decor in the room.  I know a lot of people have described the rooms as plain or neutral.  All I can say is BEIGE, BEIGE, BEIGE.  Every surface is beige, the walls, the carpet, the tiled floor all beige, it almost feels institutional.  The art in the room is sparse and bland as well.  The rooms are fabulously huge, the amenities incredible, they even have a Bose Wave radio in the living room and large flat screen televisions in the bedroom and the living room.  On the other hand a lot of people come to Vegas expecting a spectacle in their hotel room, instead this room is all about neutral and quiet.  I personally didn't like the taste in furniture or decor at all, it feels much more like furnished corporate housing to me.

This all said, would I stay here again, absolutely.  I have stayed at all the fancy flashy hotels in Vegas and if given the choice I would definitely choose to stay at The Platinum again.  This was the first time that I've had a decent night's sleep on any trip I've taken to Vegas.  The convenience of having a full kitchen, massive amounts of space and absolute quiet is completely worth  it to me.  The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of the decor and the nasty vibe on the street outside, also it would be great if the hotel had a shuttle to the strip.

One last comment, the service here is incredible.  The valet parker noticed that we came into the hotel with groceries.  He immediately told the front desk to send pots and pans up for us to cook with.  A couple of minutes later there was a knock at the door with the delivery and then believe it or not, a couple of minutes after that, the front desk called to make sure that we had received everything we needed and if there was anything else they could help us with.  Everyone you deal with here is polite and thoughtful, such a refreshing surprise.

(One important tip:  book through the website of The Platinum.  Not only do they give a AAA discount, but more importantly if you book through them you get free wireless internet in your room and also believe it or not an unheard of 2pm checkout!!!)

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank interplanetary
John A, General Manager at Platinum Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We will be happy to welcome you back.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed here as a couple at the end of Feb 2012.

The hotel is a non smoking hotel with reasonable facilities and a 5-10 minute walk to the centre of the Las Vegas Strip.

The rooms are enormous with a Jacuzzi, double sinks, Big Kitchen etc.
Not really much bad to say about this hotel. The rooms are a little dated with the carpet looking like it was from the 80's and the TV in the bedroom being a big old box, as opposed to a modern flat screen.

Being my first time in Vegas, I also got the impression that because it was a little cheaper then some, it attracted a clientele looking for a cheaper option.

Aside from this it was nice enough, but do bear in mind that because it isn't a casino/resort hotel in the centre of the strip, it doesn't dazzle in the same way that the Wynn or the Bellagio would.

I think if we returned as a couple i would probably try the Aria, the Wynn or the Bellagio as from the experience of wakling around them they did seem quite impressive.

Nothing really bad to say about this Hotel and if you stay here i'm sure you would enjoy your stay.

But do bear in mind that you are likely to spend your time in the other hotels

Room Tip: request a room looking towards the strip on a high floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. True we are not as lavish as some of the strip hotels but are noted for many things the strip hotels don't offer some of which you mentioned like the large rooms, good value, and the non-smoking/non-gaming atmosphere.