“Off the strip sanity”

Platinum Hotel and Spa
Ranked #7 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 28 October 2013

If you don't particularly want to stay on the Strip in a 'themed' hotel than you really cannot go past the Platinum. We loved our apartment which was big enough to feel you could actually live in it. It had a separate bedroom, a huge bathroom, full kitchen, lounge room and balcony. The furnishings and decor were very attractive. In fact there was not one aspect of it that we did not find comfortable. My only criticism of it was that we had asked for a Strip view and if the hotel was being honest, the room we stayed in was really only a partial Strip view. However, because we were on the 16th floor the view overall was fantastic and we enjoyed the balcony very much. Although it was not an issue for us, our only warning would be that it really is a good 10-15 minute walk to the Strip and given how long this is you may find that this distance adds a little more to your walking time than you may like. The area that it is in is not particularly attractive but there are extensive building programs going on that will make the Platinum's location increasingly attractive. This is a real hotel, no gimmicks; we enjoyed watching the show and then retreating to our apartment at the Platinum.

Room Tip: If you want to face the Strip, you must have a room directly facing Kovacs Lane. You also really nee...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mini_d51
Derek M, Director of Rooms at Platinum Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for the great review. We really appreciate you taking the time. I will talk to the team so there is some clarification on the views. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you for your business and referrals.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,821)

Reviewed 27 October 2013

The highest compliment to a hotelier is a “return visit” from a past customer. When customers make multiple return visits you know there must be something very special about the hotel. This is how I feel about the Platinum Hotel and Spa.

Since I had to make a late night short trip to Las Vegas on personal business, it was important that I find the hotel which I can access immediately upon entering the city. Although there were many major hotel properties, offering super bargain rates, I was more interested in quality and convenience. Since my trip was to be of short duration, I did not look forward to parking in a remote lot and making my way to the lobby and casino to arrive at the registration desk. That’s the situation one would find in most of the major hotels. My solution was to book my room at the Platinum Hotel and Spa, drive up to the valet and go directly to my room. I figure this saved me at least 40 minutes, which was most valuable after my long drive from San Diego.

Aside from convenience, there are many other reasons to stay at the Platinum Hotel and Spa. The rooms are generous sized. They include a kitchen; large bath; a living area and a large comfortable bedroom. One of the features I like most about the hotel is that there is absolutely no smoking in any of the rooms or anywhere on the premises. In addition, you won’t find a casino at this hotel.

I have stayed dozens of times at the Platinum Hotel and Spa, and would not hesitate to recommend a stay at this location for anyone who wishes quality without compromise.

Room Tip: For a few extra dollars you can choose a room with a strip view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelinMan760

You must work with hotels in some fashion. Reason I say this is your first comment. You are 100% correct. The biggest compliment anyone can pay a hotel is coming back and staying again. Number two and shortly after would be, "would you recommend us to a friend, family member or co-worker?" I'm so happy to hear not only of your return visits, but on top of that your repeat positive and great experiences. We will share your visit with our staff. Thank you for everything and please ask for me at the desk so I can introduce myself on your next visit. All the best.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

A short walk from the strip, beautifully appointed spa hotel (without the blinking lits, bells, smoking, and public access) that is perfect for business travel. There are many conferences that I attend in Las Vegas and the Platinum is my 'go to' temporary home away from home. The spacious suites (with fireplace), the top notch amenities, the balcony where I enjoy my morning coffee, the free internet connection, full kitchenette with marble counter tops, the list is endless. I 'Skyped' my daughter from Canada and walked her around my room this past stay - she looks over at her father and exclaims - "I want to go to Vegas!" The room is spacious and cozy at the same time. You can pamper yourself in the giant jacuzzi tub after a long day at the conference center before digging into your long list of emails to return. When I arrived an entire bus load of tourists were in the lobby... I was skeptical how long it was going to take me to check in and get to my room - they had extra staff on and assisted the tour quickly and promptly to their rooms allowing me to get to my room without a single second wait time. The valet crew are top notch, they are wonderful with directions and suggestions for dinner destinations. Only two areas of improvement: the walk after you get off the elevator is long... so if your key demagnetizes (which it does often - even if you keep it away from your Blackberry) it is 15 minutes of your life you will never get back. Secondly (and I have shared with the hotel) the 'TP' was not up to the standard of the rest of the amenities and products in the room. Small detail but important!

Room Tip: I was on the 14th floor, quiet as can be and enjoyed the morning sun on my balcony with my coffee ev...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the glowing remarks. I am glad you reached out to me as well. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and thank you for the funny YouTube you sent me. We will certainly be giving kudos to the team. Please let me know on the TP after your next visit. We should have that worked out now.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

The great staff make this a great place to stay. While the suites are not super fancy, they are huge by my standards and offer all one needs. The spa for two in the bathroom was very nice. But back to the staff- from the valet, to the the receptionist, to the wait staff in the restaurant, and ESPECIALLY the very sweet, competent two young women running the Stir Lounge in the lobby (great happy hour prices on some nice cocktails, beer, and the few food items served), I felt very much at home and well cared for. I like this hotel, and I will come back. Don't come here for any kind of "action"; the pool is mellow, the lounge is quiet, relaxing and sweet. This is the oasis in the desert for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank crustaceansrule

Thank you so much for the kind words. We do love to serve as an Oasis to guests. We will be certain to thank the team for a job well done, especially the ladies in STIR. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel is perfect for those who enjoy the lights, noise, and spectacle of The Strip but want to get away from all that at the end of the day. This hotel offer a calm oasis - no noisy casino, no crazy decor, no bright lights, no wild music, no party at the pool. For us, that's exactly what we needed after living it up on The Strip.

Positives: great rate for a large 2-room suite with a full kitchen. Room service was prompt and delicious. When our bathroom required service, they came quickly and fixed the problem efficiently. Valet was quick and helpful.

Negatives: It is a bit far to The Strip - probably 10 minutes or so - therefore, ladies should consider wearing comfortable shoes (I carried my heels in my purse). The toilet paper was extremely rough and scratchy - like European TP, ouch! The cushions on the pool chairs were badly stained.

Overall: We enjoyed our stay, but next time we will look for another similar option with less of a walk.

Room Tip: Strip View upgrade was nice, but cheaper if added after booking.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveling Trish
Derek M, Director of Rooms at Platinum Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for the review. We appreciate your feedback and you are right we do aim for that "Oasis" or calm after the craziness of Las Vegas Blvd. We hope you consider us again sometime. All the best!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Half way round our west coast road trip is a stay in Las Vegas for 4 nights... of course!

I had high expectations of this hotel, but found after 4 days it had not fulfilled them as i had expected. This should be taken as a total negative and i do recommend reading all the review as my negatives may be acceptable by some or even normal for others.... if this is the case, then this hotel has the possibilities to be excellent for you on all levels and is a big contender for your stay in Vegas.

Finding the hotel is easy and can be considered as a plus point. As it is a street or two down from the strip there is no problem arriving in your car and taking advantage of their FREE valet parking. Great!

We booked a room with a strip view. The receptionist was very polite and professional fulfilling her duty 100%. We were given our key to the 3rd floor. Once we arrived at the room i immediately noticed due to the floor, the direction we walked and the orientation of the hotel we would have a crappy strip view. When we opened the door i was right, we were starring at the back end of Vegas. A quick trip down to the reception to remind them i had paid extra for a strip view and it was all resolved. We were moved to the 9th floor looking at the back or Paris, Ballys, Flamingo etc. As far as i am aware all the rooms are suites, initially well decorated and laid out. Full kitchen, large bathroom with tub & shower, ample living area with sofa and chair, flat screen and Bose docking music system...nice! Small balcony with small table and 4 chairs... Bedroom was a little smaller than i expected as the whole suite has ample room and the bedroom is the only part that seems a little squashed in, but there is a nice large window that give you the view of the strip all day and night while you sleep.

Although when we arrived in the room our floor/carpet was WET and there was a slight must of wet dog! I took off my shoes and my socks soaked through!!!

It was quite amusing as when we entered the room we were greeted with a cleaners trolly stood in the living room!!! Another quick trip down to reception had 3 cleaners come to my room to take the trolly away and apologising etc. The receptionist seemed genuinely embarrassed for us and gave us a 50$ room credit to spend in the hotel for our trouble. Got back to the room and we started to get ready for our first night in Vegas!

As women do, my girlfriend had decided to dress for the occasion and wore a pencil skirt with some heels.. very nice! We knew the hotel was off the strip and a little walk..... but this does feel longer each day that passes. It is not actually 5 minutes but a casual 20. Dont ask me how, but we timed it... 15 - 20 minutes casual walking.

After 5 hrs on the strip, in and out of casinos we decided to head back to the hotel.... this is where the first negative comes in.... do not mix a 15-20 minute walk with any of the following;
- Women
- Heels
- 5 hours on the heels
- Tiredness
- lost of drunks in the street

As you can imagine we did and it was not fun. I was even tired myself at this point and walking past all the strip hotels thinking i could have stayed here and i would have been home by now... hurts. I care not what anybody says, the walk does feel twice as long on the way back. There is a part just after Ballys and before Platinum that you have to pass by parking lots etc that is a little dingy and darkly lit which is also frequented by people drinking and sleeping in the street. Still we made it and with a 4 night stay... more than once!

The next day we spent a couple of hours in the room before leaving. This is when i noticed many little defects and issues with the suite i hadn't spotted the night before. Basically in the light our room had a feeling that the Motley Crew had just spent a week in it, and had left 1 hr before we arrived!

I could not help but get the impression that the rooms were being slowly left to run down. You can tell that when they opened the hotel they were decorated great, but it is probably the last they have spent on the rooms. Some of the taps were loose, plugs missing or not opening, vanity mirror broken and unusable, iron was broken and burnt on the bottom, sofa had some staining, Bose music station was cracked and one quarter of the cover could come away, TV signal was terrible... i thought we were watching white christmas for 30 minutes until i saw an advert for the NFL!!! Leading me to the balcony... the balcony looked like the inside of a bar... there were so many stains from drinks and other fluids from about waist height running down the wall! How hard is it to give this a coat of paint once every few months?

Furthermore there is no hotel casino, one night the females of the group wanted to have an early night and we didn't want her to walk back to the hotel alone so we accompanied her like the gentlemen we are. Once back, we were still full of life but could not bear the though of walking another 20 minutes back to the strip to do it again on the way back! We would have gone to the hotel casino quite happily... but there isn't one. The closest offer was the vending machines in the hotel lobby... but they would not let us bet on red to win! So we bought a Coke and went to the room to watch white christmas! Again!

We chose the Platinum based on many factors. Location, price, amenities, hotel condition, ratings on trip advisor etc.

If you can live with our negative points, of which i must say the biggest for us was the 15-20 minutes walk at the end of a night... then this hotel is a BIG CONTENDER for a non expensive stay in Vegas, as long as they offer the right deal. Other hotels are much more interesting if their prices are better or within your budget. (Venetian, NY NY, Paris, Wynn, Signature, Bellagio etc)

It is NOT a bad hotel under any circumstances, and we had a great time here in Vegas... but booking a little earlier we could have stayed at the Venetian, Signature or NY NY for the same price. I would stay here again if they had an incredible deal that was hard to beat... but i will not forget the timeless walks back to the hotel at 5am.. ever!

On the whole i think this hotel has found its market in the 18 - 30 yr old bracket, the stains definitely confirm this and are reminders of untold events. If i think back to that age i would not have cared about anything and the hotel would have been superb.

not bad... but in Vegas there is lots of choice!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mr_Journey

Thank you for your honest feedback. We do understand that we are not best fit for all trips. If you want to be on the strip and prefer to be in the middle of the action, we are most likely not the best choice. We aim for the "retreat" niche with large suites at a great value.

I'm glad that you were not completely satisfied with your visit. I do want to apologize for the several hiccups that you encountered. The items in your room should have been working and you shouldn't have to worry about the carpets or housekeeping carts in your room. We will look to address with our team, and figure out what happened as well as the best way to avoid this in the future. I assure you this isn't the typical experience of our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and business.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

When I've come to Vegas with friends for various occasions, I'm often talked into staying at a hotel/casino of their choice. When it's up to me, I always return to the Platinum because it's my very favorite. The first time I visited, it was mostly the giant jacuzzi tub that sold me. The views don't hurt, nor does the fact that each room is a suite with a balcony and a kitchen. The service is impeccable, and even though I travel a lot, no other hotel comes close. I'll always come back!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank indiestace

Wow, that is very nice of you. We are proud to be your favorite hotel. I will be certain to share with our staff your great compliments. Please ask for me on your next visit. I would like to introduce myself and thatnk you for your continued business.