Review of Rx Boiler Room

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: The Strip
Cross street: Las Vegas Blvd South & Mandalay Bay Road
Description: In January 2005, the aquatic-chic restaurant, rm seafood joined the newest wave of world class restaurants at Mandalay Place. Award-winning seafood maestro, Rick Moonen, one of the hottest chefs at the helm, was lured from NYC to create rm seafood. A mecca for seafood lovers and hipsters alike, rm seafood is a relaxed rocking bistro atmosphere that also features a world-class sushi bar & coast-coast oysters at the raw bar. Sleek and fresh with a contemporary look, the restaurant is built from mahogany with lots of glass and reminiscent of yachts and wooden boats. Whether creating a new dish with fresh finds from America's best Fish Markets or praising the provenance and quality of eco-friendly seafood, Rick Moonen's passion for seafood is contagious. Reservations always recommended.
Reviewed 12 May 2012

This restaurant is a must for seafood lovers. We had oysters, bouillibase, surf and turf and wow!!! The service is amazing, the food incredible and drinks excellent. This restaurant really ties together all the elements of a perfect dinign experience. Don't miss out!

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Rick Moonen is definitely Top Chef material. Every item we ate we loved. The sushi was the highlight of the meal and is some of the best we've eaten.

Tip: Besides the sushi, order the side of mac & cheese BBQ style.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

We had about 8 in our party and the wait staff was great. They served us quickly and were very attentive. Food was good but not really memorable. The wine list was decent too.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

First let me say that there are two RM Seafood restaurants, upstairs is completely different than the downstairs. The review is for Upstairs, an upscale restaurant that is good for special occasions, and not for families with children. The restaurant is in the shopping area of the Mandalay Bay, known as Mandalay Place. There is access to Mandalay Place without having to go through the casino or hotel.
I have wanted to go to dinner at RM Upstairs since I watched Rick Moonen on Top Chef Masters and we went to celebrate my birthday in May. I was not disappointed. The restaurant is beautifully appointed. My picture didn’t turn out as well as I would have liked, but maybe you can see enough to get the idea. Service was perfect. They started us with an amuse bouche and then a second amuse bouche. Each were a perfect bite to tease your appetite. As appetizers we ordered Seared Big-Eye Tuna served with lentils, curry and bacon foam ($20); and the Spring Sorrel Soup with yellow bell pepper and Peruvian scallops ($19). It is said that you “eat with your eyes first” and these appetizers looked so good I forgot to take a picture. I have never had better tuna! Our entrees were Diver Sea Scallops with pork confit, mustard greens, and Anson mills polenta ($40). It was amazing. My husband had the Arctic Char with king crab, black trumpet mushrooms and English peas ($38), cooked to perfection. We paired our dinner with a 2008 Miner viognier from Simpson Vineyards. The entire meal was pure delight.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

First of all, the food is above average. We enjoyed our meal but it was not something that we will remember down the road. My wife, being a food network fanatic, also agreed that it was not as special as we thought it would be. We had the special mac and cheese (very good), the scallops (average), and a variety of sushi (good quality.) We ate downstairs instead of upstairs which has a prix fixe menu....maybe we should have eaten upstairs?

anyway, when we initailly got to the restaurant, it wasn't crowded at all. There was no wait when we asked to be seated. Interestingly, the hostess seated us at these raised tables with high chairs at the bar area instead of the dinner area. We were the only ones seated at the bar. When the waitress came to give us our menus, I asked if we could be moved to a "grown up" table in the actual dinner area. The waitress was nice about it and we were able to get a table that had tablecloth... we were lucky since i only counted at least 12 empty tables. (maybe i should not wear jeans or maybe i should have had my vip noir card thing hung around my neck?) But honestly, shouldn't we all get vip treatment at a "fine" restaurant?

I joked about it with my wife so we could still have an enjoyable dinner. Our waiter was very friendly, knowledgeable, and very efficient. The only thing that really bothered me was the constant upselling of the menu and drink items. we knew what we wanted to order, but it took over 5-minutes just to listen to the "recommendations" and they were ALL the priciest things on their menu. I caved in and ordered a special drink for my wife but i declined the undercoating and extended warranty. (disclaimer: we are fortunate to have all our meals comped, but i still don't appreciate the heavy upselling.)

All in all, the experience could have been better and the food was above average, but we expected a lot more. My wife and i agree we wouldn't go back because there are so many other great restaurants to try out in las vegas.

Or maybe we'll try the prix fixe upstairs next time...but then again, maybe they'll put me in a high chair by the wall again.

1  Thank doctor925