“Love the new SLS Las Vegas”

SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #93 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Watsonville, California
“Love the new SLS Las Vegas”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I just returned from a three night stay at the new SLS Las Vegas. Very impressed the property, great vibe. Restaurants, nightlife and the room product is amazing. Staff was excellent and attentive. I can't wait for a return visit.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank amyproost
Albert S, Manager at SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Amyproost,

Looks like you did all things SLS while while staying with us! I'm so happy you enjoyed your experience and can't wait until you return.

Thank you in advance for your loyalty!

VP of Hotel Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 August 2014

SLS Las Vegas was beyond my expectations in every way. The hotel portion is an intimate experience when you walk in. There is staff every step of the way to greet you, check you in, and answer questions. No walking past smoky slot machines to get to your room, making the arrival process quick and easy. The guest rooms are stylish and comfortable, with an essence of the hip SLS vibe. There are many wonderful restaurants to choose from but Bazaar Meat is an absolute must.
This is the place for you if you want a cool, intimate Las Vegas hotel expereince with a casino at your fingertips.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JustineBF
Albert S, Manager at SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear JustineBF,

Your review captures our mantra of "approachable luxury." Thank you so much for pointing out how caring and efficient our staff is and thank you so much for the Bazaar Meat shout out...what an incredible restaurant!

I hope you come back and visit us again soon and again, thank you for the review!

Vice President of Hotel Operations
Mi.
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Friendly service at check in, stores and the restaurants. Ate at the yummy Mediterranean restaurant . Oh, I want that grilled octopus right now! The server and manager were very attentive. Never got to use the pool because it closes too early to prepare for the night scene. I think that might change in the future. Rooms were on the small side, but comfortable, clean and I loved how the mirrors were set up. Price was very fare. Fun new resort. Will have to try the other restaurants next time because they looked very inviting. Shopping was an extra plus.

Room Tip: World Tower rooms were comfy and clean.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank gator33
Dear Gator33,

Thank you for the wonderful review and shout out to our management team and staff!

Cleo is an amazing experience and Chef Danny who developed the concept in LA is personally overseeing our Cleo in Las Vegas...lucky us!

We have two pools so if one is closing for nightlife programming, the other will available!

Hope to see you again soon and we'll do a rematch on the pool experience.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

A group of us travelled out from the UK for the grand opening of the SLS Las Vegas. Having not stayed at an SLS property before we were unsure as to what we should expect. On arrival we were checked in with the minimum of fuss and the check in staff were friendly, happy, excited and obviously very pleased to be part of the buzz of the opening of a new property. After check in we were directed to collect our VIP credentials for the opening celebrations. Again this was all done efficiently and with good humour.

The VIP opening gave us a chance to explore the hotel before it was overwhelmed when the doors opened at midnight. We sampled food and drinks from Katsuya and Cleo, all of which was excellent. We took in some live music in The Sayers Club which of the three nightclubs was my favourite nightlife venue. A very laid back vibe, intimate setting close to the performers and great service. Foxtails was great fun especially with the inside club/outside pool space merged to create a large informal party area. Good music in here too. Lastly, we ended the first night in LIFE. This nightclub is big. Great sound system and lighting and a good mix of contemporary EDM and classic club anthems on the night we were there. Everyone was really enjoying themselves here which made for a great night.

We decided to grab some good from The Griddle restaurant at about 6am and it's fair to say the service here was variable. My friends meal was out pretty quickly but I was still waiting about 20 minutes after he had finished for my food. They apologised profusely and said that they had been overwhelmed since opening. It was 6 hours into opening on their first day and I think it was fair to put this down to early teething issues. The food, when it came, was very good.

Day 2 saw us checking out the Foxtail pool, which was very busy and where loungers were at a premium. Service at the pool bar was a little slow. We also checked out Beach LIFE on the rooftop of the 3rd floor. This was also pretty busy but had a great party atmosphere, a fun crowd and some banging tunes. And some very attractive models in metal swimsuits. As you do.

That evening we ate in the excellent 800 degrees pizza, quite possibly the best pizza I've had outside Italy. It was that good. We hit the casino floor and gambled for the remainder of the evening. The casino is no better or worse than any other casino I've been to. To me a casino is a casino, you win, you lose, but that's just my opinion.

The bedroom we stayed in was in the World Tower. The room size was perfectly adequate with two queen sized beds. The design was clean, modern and funky. The little touches like the tray labelled Saints (raisins, nuts etc) and Sinners (condoms, chocolate etc) on top of the minibar were fun.

This hotel won't be for everyone. My guess is that I was in the sweetspot of their target market (30 something, reasonable disposable income, like clubbing/live music, appreciative of good service in stylish venues).

I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank mikey_sara
Albert S, Manager at SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Mickey_sara,

I am so happy you joined us for our Grand Opening party and was able to enjoy bites from all of our venues!

It sounds like you were here for a special experience and it sounds like that's exactly what you got! I hope you continue to stay with us when you travel from the UK and please remember we have properties in South Beach, LA and soon to be New York and the Bahamas.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 27 August 2014

This hotel and casino don't do justice to the sls name, or to the Vegas strip. A brand that's known for always going over the top can't be so mediocre in a city like this. There's nothing special or exciting to point out. They were obviously poorly trained and not ready for opening weekend though, bathrooms were a mess, and the restaurant took 35 minutes to prepare our pancakes. I asked an older employee a question about a slot machine, the next thing I know she swiped my ID with her tablet and stored all of my personal info in their database. I was hoping for a new version of the Cosmo, but this ain't it...

• Stayed August 2014
12 Thank Justget
Dar Justget,

I am so sorry we let you down...we definitely had to work through some operational shortfalls but I think you'll find we address our shortcomings very quickly here and feedback like yours really helps us do it!

I hope you give us another opportunity.

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 27 August 2014

About me: global traveler, 100+ nights per year in high-end to luxury hotels. This stay was booked by my Virtuoso travel agent.

So I was excited and very much looking forward to staying here on opening night, I even especially booked this trip to Vegas to be part of the opening experience. I really wanted to give this a 5-star rating, I really did, but my experience was ruined by a simple pool service (or lack thereof) interaction the morning of my checkout.

What I liked / impressed me:
I stayed in a Lux room, which was of a truly unique and interesting design and the bed was gorgeous and comfy. Though I do wonder how well the 'tapestry' walls will wear over time, especially with some of the partying that is sure to go on in the rooms. The room amenities and Ciel Spa bath products were great. Also the VIP lounge accessible to Lux tower guests was a pleasant surprise. I can't speak to the other room types / towers, as I did not see any.

Service at the restaurants, I tried The Griddle, Katsuya and SLS Buffet, was all good and courteous and the servers seemed to go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The table dealers encountered were also very friendly and fun.

While I don't normally do buffets, I did try the SLS Buffet as it was a benefit of my Virtuoso booking and was very impressed with the quality and variety offered.

Design of the restaurants / bars and Lux room were all very unique and well executed.

What I didn't like:
Other than a glimmer of good design in the high-limit room and the Bazaar Meat bar gaming area, the rest of the casino looked like a total black hole, I'm not sure the industrial look works here (well, at least not to my eyes). Based on my experience with SLS properties and all the design hype, I really was expecting something special, maybe glamorous, but other than a few bright moments of design in the rooms and the F&B outlets, its disappointing. Go see the Cosmopolitan or Wynn / Encore for really impressive casino design. As one other reviewer mentioned, the casino just looked like they ran out of money and did the least work possible.

Also, the lines and people herding for the CODE signup were a total cluster**k. The hotel entirely failed to anticipate this volume and properly staff / plan for it. I like others signed up in advance, and apparently to no purpose as I had to waste 40 minutes to get a card.

Also the remote location at the north end of the strip is very isolating, prepare to spend all of your time here or ride the monorail or taxis to do any hopping around casinos / venues.

On Sunday morning I wanted to go to the pool at 9:30am mind you, alas the pool area was not ready. Excuse me? In what purported luxury hotel is this ever a problem? Furthermore, once we were allowed out just after 10am, much like a herd of cattle that gathered at the pool door, I had spent 40 minutes laying in the lounger and a server never appeared - despite serving many other around me. Finally I got someone's attention and ordered a drink. 10 minutes later the pool supervisor comes by and asks if I will be paying cash or credit, I advise him I will be room charging. He then asks to see my ID, to which I told him I don't have it, as I'm not (and I imagine most people aren't) in the habit of bringing their wallet / purse to a luxury hotel swimming pool where you should be able to room charge. No where in the world have I ever encountered this scenario We went back and forth arguing about this and he was completely intransigent and lacking outside the box thinking. I finally left, complete disillusioned, I am not going to beg someone to take my money for a drink. My time is worth way too much for that.

At checkout the agent was very professional and apologetic and did comp me the Lux room upgrade fee I had agreed to at checkin as a gesture of good will. She was very adamant that I don't leave with a bad impression. While that was probably the right action to take, I simply can't in good conscience give this property a 5-star rating. The disorganization and lack of pool service is not really forgivable, if you (hotel) aren't fully and complete ready to open, then you probably shouldn't.

Other than maybe coming back to try Jose Andres Bazaar Meat or Katsuya again, I will have no reason to visit here again. I would pick the cosmopolitan hands down, if I want a high-design styled facility that actually lives up to the hype and feels and looks special, not to mention the fabulous location.

Room Tip: Go for the Lux room, very unique design.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
16 Thank atgenecmh
Albert S, Manager at SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear atgenecmh,

Thank you so much for the comprehensive review! You highlighted some elements we're very proud of such as service in the restaurants and how our guest services handled a rather sensitive moment stemming from your experience at the pool.

I'm delighted you were able to experience our Lux tower and truly hope you make it back to experience Bazaar Meat or Katsuya...in the meantime, your feedback gives us valuable information that allows us to continue to make our improvements!

Albert smith
Puerto Rico
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the SLS Las Vegas during opening weekend. We are from the industry and were expecting issues but were really looking forward to experiencing this resort and we were really impressed.
First of all the interior design is amazing and we like the fact that we didn't get lost or need a map to know where to go. Every single staff member we encountered was so friendly, attentive, accommodating and what really moved us is how genuinely excited they were to be working there and part of the opening of the property.
The food!!!! The Griddle, Cleo, Katsuya all amazing!! Best part really for us was the Ciel Spa. We have spa treatments everywhere we travel and we had one of the best massages and facials with Cynthia and Nicole. We will be back for sure!! Real soon!

Room Tip: We were happy with the standard room. The size was perfect, bed comfy, bathroom and shower roomy but...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Travelbug,

Your review made my day! I am so happy that you enjoyed your every experience while staying with us. From restaurants to the spa, I love hearing that our employees made such a difference!

I truly hope we win your loyalty and hope to meet you someday soon. Please feel free to reach out if I can ever assist with accommodations for you.

Vice President of Hotel Operations