“Feels like in LA”

Ranked #91 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Los Angeles, California
“Feels like in LA”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Walking into the casino feels like being in LA, with its typical LA establishments such as Fred Segal shops at each side of the casino entrance (plus a Fred Segal jewelry shop across from the coffee shop (the Perq), and LA restaurants such as Umami, Katsuya and the Griddle. It is not a huge casino. In fact, it feels a bit claustrophobic. Did not spend lots of time at the casino for this reason. Booked a Superior Double Room for 2 nights at the World Tower (22nd floor), and paid about $300 which was reasonable considering the holiday (Labor Day weekend). The room is decorated in a modern chic style (black and white) and it is super duper CLEAN. It's small but they did their best to make it look spacious by installing huge mirrors on both sides of the room facing each other.. the mirrors can also be lit up. The closet space is super tiny and there is no closet door. The bathroom has mirrored sliding door with no lock and it is not completely closed shut (as you can totally hear (and smell) your roommate's business). The gym/spa is on the 2nd floor at the Lux Tower; I'd say the gym is about 1500 sq ft in size. Towels and bottled waters are provided. The Perq makes a GREAT tasting cappuccino (12 oz for $5). Ku Noodle makes a delicious $17.88 slippery noodle wonton soup. The overall experience was pleasant, although some people might find the location a bit isolating. I would probably stay another time at the Lux Tower before giving my final verdict.

Room Tip: A/C unit on the 22nd floor at the World Tower is very loud.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AroundThaWorld
Albert S, Manager at SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear AroundThaWorld,

Well let's get your Lux room booked! Thank you for the lovely review and seriously, if there's anything I can do to help book your next stay, please let me know!

VP of Hotel Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 September 2014

When I saw the rooms for this hotel advertised and was able to get a reservation at Bazaar for Friday night I cancelled the reservation I had for another hotel and booked this. I figured that even if there was a gliche it wouldn't be a catastrophe. I was VERY wrong.

It was one issue after another for things that would be considered basic to customer service. Things that should run like clockwork prior to anything customer service related opening, for example housekeeping for towels and toilet paper.

Even if things worked out smoothly this hotel still wouldn't be at the Vegas standards of opulence, comfort, and extravagance.

- the hotel is far away from the main part of the strip. In Vegas traffic it is at least 40 minute and $25 cab ride to anything worth being at - Cosmo, Aria, Planet Hollywood, Venetian, Paris, etc.

- Hotel does not have much going on, casino is small and lacks energy, no real shopping area, no lounge with music to get a quick drink or small bite, etc. You can't expect to spend most of your time at this hotel either, you are going to want to leave to somewhere interesting with a variety of things to do.

- rooms are small, seriously small. Reminds you of a sardine can. At least this is the case in World Tower. There are large mirrors in the room giving you the illusion of space, but it's the illusion. No dresser, small closet so you are living out of your suitcase. The ironing board is full size though so if you open it you will see it take up your entire room. It's comical.

- Beds are tiny. The full is a tad bit larger than a twin and the Queen a tad bit larger than a full.

- Elevators in parking garage do not work most of the time. Walked up and down to my car, no biggie but when we were leaving I had to take two trips to carry my luggage to the fourth floor. Asked some sort of security guard if he would watch my stuff while I went upstairs. He said he could not do that! Left it there anyway, what was I going to do?

- No valet that will take your car. Small parking structure.

- Two pools but small. Most pool chairs and umbrellas are for rent, people scrambling for other chairs that are hardly ever available. This will not accommodate a hotel that is even half full.

- TV in the room does not work. wi-fi is spotty and slow

- No answer at guest services, ever. It rings and rings, you listen to hold music. Nothing. I got sneaky at one point and called reservations to see if I could get assistance. Reservations answered in a second, no problem. How convenient for them to allocate their resources this way. Reservations could not get through to guest services.

- Got an email to sign for the players card and followed through. What was the point if I had to wait in line for a card? Didn't even bother.

As if all that isn’t enough:

-I get a call the day before we are heading to Vegas from the GM at Bazaar saying they have a buy out and can't accommodate my reservation. The reservation was made in error. The reservation I got which prompted me to cancel the other hotel I had planned to stay at and the dinner our night and weekend was planned around. This was just a two night trip so once we got this dinner reservation we got tix to Jersey Boys the next night. The GM said he'd get me a reservation to Bazaar any other night or one at any other restaurant at the hotel. When I had not called back he called me again to ask what he could do. I took a reservation for Saturday after our show. But by the time the show ended and traffic was factored in we wouldn't be at dinner until 11:30 which was closing time at the restaurant. I was not going to drop $500 on a rushed meal. So after all that it did not work out. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances but I did very much appreciate the follow up from the GM.

- The Perq is the coffee shop in the hotel. We waited 25 minutes to place our order. It was a long line. With no coffee in the room and the closest coffee miles away we waited and ordered 2 Americano's and an Iced Coffee. Got the coffee in 15 minutes then waited, another 10 minutes got the Iced Coffee, now waiting for the Americano, another 5 minutes later ask how much longer and with an ATTITUDE are told if it was ordered it is coming. 10 minutes later the girl sees us waiting and asks for our name, she has the audacity, after all that and standing right at the bar the whole time to say she called already. Makes the coffee, brown sewage and the other drink luke warm at this point. What a waste.

- Came back to the room after a fun Saturday at other hotels to no house keeping. Had 1 hour to shower and dress for our show. No answer at guest services for at least towels. Went to the front desk to ask, no time for complaints then, they couldn't find anyone to give me towels. Used the dingy ones from the night before. Gross. Seriously? Why is this so hard to get right.

There is so much publicity talking about the money spent on the renovations, the design, food, service credo of SBE but if your vacation is spent waiting, walking up stairs with luggage, annoyed, running back and forth to stand in line at the front desk since guest services does not answer, what was the point? Even if this hotel irons out what they are referring to as kinks many of these things are not going to go away.

After a person has spent their vacation time and vacation money on your hotel and had a bad experience to sit there and write a review spending even more time on it, you don't tell them you are working out the kinks and will do better next time. And then you especially don't take the opportunity to boast about your brand. No one wants you to work out your kinks on their dime. This isn't supposed to be a focus group. This is our vacation time. I'm pissed but I would be livid if I had to fly out here for this. Way too many nice, accommodating, fun, and interesting hotels in Vegas to deal with this.

Stayed September 2014, travelled as a couple
31 Thank DreamTravel_12
Dear Dreamtravel_12,

It would sour my stay if my Bazaar reservation was moved in this fashion as well! If there's any chance you wouldn't mind reaching out to me directly I'd love to make this stay up to you!

Regards,

Albert.smith@slshotels.com

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Zamora de Hidalgo, México
Reviewed 1 September 2014

If you have being in the LA and Miami SLS hotels, you are going to be a litle disapointed... Rooms aré small, service is really poor the quality is very diferent, the decor is nice, its Clean and the beds aré confortable

• Stayed September 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ferruco22
Dear Ferruco22,

You are correct, rooms are on the small side compared to what's typical in Las Vegas and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Under normal circumstances what we lack in size we more than make up in service however it looks like we let you down in this area as well.

Please contact me directly the next time you plan to visit Las Vegas as it would be my pleasure to make it up to you!

Los Angeles, CA Area
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I normally do not review while I am at the location, but I am very upset with this hotel that I decided to give my review now.

Checked in today, less than two hours ago. First, registration desk was hard to find when I entered the hotel from self-parking. There was no sign directing to the registration near or around the hotel entrance from self-parking. I wondered around and walked to other end of the hotel before I located the registration.

Second, the primary reason for this review is the hotel’s pool. It is a small, I mean small, pool, and it only has very few lounge chairs. Many of those lounge chairs are for rent, so it leave very very few lounge chairs that you can use for free, as a hotel guest.

I went down to the pool around 2 PM. It was already full, and there was no free chairs available. I did not want to pay over $250 to rent a daybed. I am traveling alone, and I did not need that. I was willing to pay for a lounge chair, though. However, they did not even have any rental lounge chairs available. Only things available were few daybeds and cabanas. Pool is that small. And this is the only pool that is available for staying guest for free. I am told by a host at the entrance of the pool that there is an even smaller pool on the second floor, but it is a private party pool and that there is an entrance fee and chairs cost more. Are you kidding me!

I came back to my room and decided to get on the internet and write this review. Before I connect to the hotel’s wifi, I wanted to double check that it was free. Well, there is no directory of hotel service in my room. So I called Guest Service using hotel’s in-room phone. It rang over 10 times and nobody answered! I called again, and it was answered by second ring by an answering system, and I was put on hold over 8 minutes! Aaarrrgggg!!! REALLY!!!

I have been to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, and I had high expectation when I booked my stay at this hotel, SLS Las Vegas. But this hotel is a joke and a big disappointment.

I do not recommend this hotel to anyone. I know I will not be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
14 Thank SCV913
Dear SCV913,

We let you down on many levels and for this I am truly sorry! If there's any chance I could get you to contact me directly I'd really appreciate it!

albert.smith@slshotels.com
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

I came down to Vegas for a girls trip. We were excited about staying at the new SLS hotel. I've stayed at the SLS in Beverly Hills. This is nothing like it at all!!

Appearance-this is still the Sahara with lipstick on it people. Even the elevators are old and not upgraded with AC. The rooms are tiny and they have mini blinds! I'm not kidding. Someone thought they could hide the old windows by covering them with blinds and a window shade. The AC in the room is dated also. Now let's talk beds. We thought we were getting 2 queens as the site indicated. Still can't figure out what size the beds are but they are SMALL! And the sheets are not nice quality. Thy are rough and have to be 250 thread count. Definitely not luxury. I'm not sure if that gets better in the Lux tower, but I sure hope so. We were in the World Tower. Pillows aren't great either. And the bed is hard...no pillow top or feather bed. The good-The tv in the room is very nice and mounted on a glass wall however the channels are limited. There are 2 really cute mirrors the size of the wall that are lighted. They are great for getting dressed and make up. The bathroom is nice and the toiletries are decent as well. The pool is nice but small.

Customer Service-It was after 2pm and we still have not heard anything from housekeeping. Called down to Guest Services and was on hold for 6 minutes before hanging up and calling the concierge just to get towels. The parking lot elevator is old and was not working on our way out last night. We had to walk up 4 flights of stairs to get to our car. In heels! My friends ate a the Unami restaurant and said the service there was great. Guest check-in was a good experience as well.

Overall, not pleased with this experience. I'm actually surprised that SLS put their name on this project. I expected more considering the major differences between this and the LA location. Night and Day. I will not be coming back here. There are plenty of other hotels on The Strip in the same price range that have some of bgr basic amenities covered.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marci C
Albert S, Manager at SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear Marci,

I am truly sorry we let you down! While we have done all we can to preserve the memory of the Sahara and have done so with subtle shout outs via the design, I assure you the hotel was fully re-imagined and re-engineered. HVAC's in the world tower have been re-built but I do apologize if yours was noisy, this is unacceptable and I am truly sorry!

We have been addressing the elevators in the parking structure and we're considering building a third bank to help!

I hope you give us another opportunity and again, very sorry about the early missteps.

London
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Enjoying a stay here will probably depend upon two things; how cool you are / want to be and how you feel about its location. I hated the hotel at the beginning, but left after a lovely weekend feeling that there are many things about it which are truly great and the right kind of people will love staying here.

We were invited by the hotel as regular diners at Bazaar to stay at SLS on its first weekend at a discounted rate. Bazaar was closed for a private event, which was a shame but we decided to go nevertheless, we even found the same rooms cheaper on-line.

This review ignores the shambolic comedy of errors which could potentially be attributed to poor training leading up to the hotel’s opening. These glitches included the bell boy leaving half of our luggage in our car; the room class we had booked was sold out, previous guest’s clothes left in the room by the cleaner, the safe not working, they ran out of room service tables. No apology for any of this from the hotel, perhaps a touch of arrogance and indifference from a few staff, especially from the hostess who made a routine call to check everything was OK.

Ignoring the opening weekend foul ups, there are some really good things about this hotel but also reasons why we will not stay here next time.

This is a destination location a very long way north of the rest of the main Las Vegas resort hotels - probably a mile from Encore, the closest high quality resort hotel. Between Encore and SLS are two abandoned half-built resort developments each the size of a major Vegas city block and two equally large vacant development blocks. So why build a new hotel even further away from the centre?

If you view the hotel as a marketing exercise to put a superbly stylish veneer on inexpensive real estate, then it all makes sense provided that the price we pay reflects this low cost base compared to alternatives.

If you love the SLS brand, Fred Segal, the night clubs, the astounding restaurants, the style of the hotel and rooms then this could be the Vegas hotel for you provided you are happy to remain at the hotel, or to get in a cab.

I hope that you find the bullets below helpful:-

The good

• Separate hotel entrance to casino
• Room towers clustered around amenity shops, coffee shop and pool
• Stylish design everywhere
• Feels like a luxurious place for young beautiful people
• Full of well-dressed beautiful people
• No trace of drunken stag or hen parties
• Awesome restaurants, some available as room service, i.e. Katsuya
• Excellent room service telephonist and quick service
• Spacious shower and bathroom, good quality products
• Big TV, room service menu on TV and restaurant booking times, worked mostly
• Free internet + intuitive infrastructure, lights, phone, music, TV,etc
• Very comfortable bed, luxurious bathrobes
• Big full length mirrors, helped the room seem bigger.
• Generally the staff were very polite and apologetic for glitches

The bad

• Feels like the style is used to disguise a cheap construction, may age quickly
• Ours was a very small room for Vegas, we think 350 Sq ft, not 500 sq ft posted
• Poor storage for more than a weekend
• The ‘desert’ view, such as it is, is better than the Strip view
• No tub in our Queen suite
• The look is perhaps a bit dated after 20 years of Stark

The ugly

• Dreadful location - totally isolated from Las Vegas scene

Standout performer: Tory from in-room dining, who without askeing went to the Grill cafe to get maple syrup for my daughter's pankakes, which was not on the menu. She also arranged for a printed menu to be sent up within minutes when the TV based in-rrom dining menu stopped loading.

Contemporary alternatives to consider: Aria, Delano and Cosmopolitan - What's the Cromwell like? I don't know.

Final note: On Friday night there were truckloads of attractive people in line for Drai’s at The Cromwell - no line at all at the SLS clubs. This will probably change as the hotel fills up and its reputation builds, but the SLS clubs need to be banging if the hotel is going to survive.

Room Tip: Rather like the location of he hotel, the room categories are difficult to understand. Looking at th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank ChrisRadford-J
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your very detailed review! We are definitely getting our sea legs and feedback like yours help us identify and solve problems much faster...so thank you!

Thank you for recognizing Tory in IRD, I'm so happy she was able to help you and your family.

Please stay in touch and I truly hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Florida
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

I like the place. It will take some time to work out all the kinks of being a new hotel but overall it is very nice and hard to tell it used to be the old Sahara after the 415 million they put into the renovation. All the staff is very friendly and eager to help...

I stayed in the World Tower and enjoyed it. The internet is fast and the TVs are HUGE @ 55 inches. The world tower is the most "normal" looking rooms compared to Story and Lux.

The monorail is directly connected to the hotel so it is very convenient to get to the busier South end of the Strip.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Chris J
Albert S, Manager at SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! Our staff is truly great and they really care about our guests and their experience so as we hit our stride, the connections our employees make will be the difference maker in this market.

Hope to see you again soon and thank you for the review!