“Get Your Butt Off The Strip!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #77 of 448 things to do in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Springs Preserve is a 180-acre cultural institution designed to commemorate Las Vegas’ dynamic history and to provide a vision for a sustainable future. The Preserve features museums, galleries, outdoor concerts and events, colorful botanical gardens and an interpretive trail system that meanders through a scenic wetland habitat.Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1978, the Preserve is located approximately 3 miles west of downtown Las Vegas. The Preserve is known as the birthplace of Las Vegas and represents one of the richest and most unique cultural and biological resources in Southern Nevada.
Santa Rosa, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Get Your Butt Off The Strip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

See some nature, local history, cacti, palm trees, events, desert critters... and a fine place to have lunch. It's about 6 miles from the top of the Strip, and very fun for kids. (If you are stuck with them in Vegas) Fantastic exhibits! (I am rather critical of them since I design exhibits and graphics) I LOVE the desert. If you've ever explored it, you know you can't help but run into old rusted stuff. Their architecture is scattered with rusted parts. And an artist, Dave Thompson, provided a lot of interesting little creatures, welded from "found" human-made elements, all over the place.
There are live critters, explanations of how the landscape got that way, and really nice people to point you to the head, if you need it. I will certainly go back, and bring more pals.

1 Thank Cyd G

• Chinese (Traditional) first
West Virginia
133 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“Easy to get to from the strip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

This is a fantastic attraction, one that can be enjoyed and appreciated for all ages. You can easily spend a whole day there--from the time it opens until it closes IF you go on the weekend, when both museums and the bikes are available. On the Springs website there's directions from the Strip; I took a bus from New York, New York casino and arrived in about 45 minutes. Although I had to transfer it was very easy. To clarify how to take the bus you can either talk to the folks at the Preserve or call the Las Vegas transit authority (which I did); there's a few buses you can take from the Strip to get there; all bus schedules are online. The Preserve itself was a wonderful learning experience; definitely take the trails (but make sure you have water with you) to learn why Vegas started here. There's a very clear map in a trail brochure; if you take all the trails in a leisurely way and read all the signs, it will take you between 1 - 2 hours (you may want to do this in the morning, before it becomes really hot). Unfortunately, bicycles are only available on the weekends and school holidays; I visited on a Friday and this was the only disappointing thing; however, taking all the trails somewhat made up for it. Also the Nevada State museum is only open on the weekends also--read carefully the info. on the website. If you go during the week, you'll be missing out on these two key aspects and your visit will more than likely be considerably shorter. The Nevada State museum is highly recommended; you'll learn a lot. The cafeteria is also recommended; the good food isn't any more expensive than that on the Strip, and it was nice to just sit and relax for a little while. I got there at 10 am and didn't leave until almost 6 pm--there's that much to do if the Nevada museum is open. The gardens are also wonderful. I found a brochure in one of the casinos on Fremont Street that offered a $4 off coupon, which was a nice added touch.

1 Thank 76desert
Las Vegas, Nevada
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“A nice place for locals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

This is probably the best museum in Vegas, which isn't saying a whole lot, but it's definitely worth checking out for locals. My family and I have enjoyed this place a lot. But if I was from out of town, I don't know if I'd make the effort to see it, not when there is so much else to see. But if you went, I think you would enjoy it.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank MillsMC
Atlanta, Georgia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“So much to do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

I had been wanting to go to the preserve for quite some time and I underprepared for everything they had to offer. We went mid morning between breakfast and lunch and before we had to go do a tour of the Neon Boneyard. I feel like next time we need to plan for at least 4 hours or more so that we can do the walking trails or rent a bike for the trails. The gardens are beautiful and have some very old seguaro cacti as well as other desert plants. I didnt know they had multiple museums which can take a while if you look at all of the exhibits. We actually got some great ideas from the sustainability exhibit. If you have the time to do everything it is well worth the price of admission for non-NV residents.

1 Thank speedster400
Cayucos, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“For the "not the Las Vegas kind of guy."”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

My husband reluctantly agreed to stay in Las Vegas during the May 20th annular eclipse. He is not the Las Vegas kind of guy. I had printed up directions for the Springs Preserve as a possible attraction he might enjoy. He was very pleased. We took a guided archeology tour. Nathan, our guide, was knowledgable and funny. Somehow he impressed upon us all, that these mounds of dirt and old spring house sites are the origin for the spectacular casino skyline seen in the distance. It is a top rate attraction (smoke free and no casino).

3 Thank denise o