“Dingy looking Hotel”

Ranked #136 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Manchester
“Dingy looking Hotel”
Reviewed 25 May 2008

We had booked 14 days in another hotel casino very close to the Mardi Gras but the travel representative informed us we had to stay at the Best Western Mardi Gras, This hotel/casino is a tired looking motel type property, with a small bar/cafe area and 40 old fashioned slots in a arcade area, the rooms are dingy and very noisy and lack privacy and security being on an external walkway with access straight from the car park. This hotel need lots of money spent on it to bring it up to date. The staff are friendly enough. I will not be staying at the Mardi Gras again even though I will be holidaying in Vegas again.

• Liked — staff ok
  • Disliked — Every thing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Springheader

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bourne
Reviewed 16 May 2008

We had 3 days at the National Hardware Show on 5th, 6th & 7th of May. We checked in on Monday the 5th and check in was smooth and pleasant experience staff extremely helpful and professional. Lobby is part of small slot based casino and bar. We were given a top floor room on the front of building room 3101. I would not advise anyone to take this room in the future until it has been refurbished the nicotine coated walls & ceilings gave the room a pungent & fusty smokey smell I don't think the room is a smoking one anymore but the years of nicotine were clearly evident, bathroom was very clean but basic. The room had no sound proofing from the 6 lane motorway which is only about 20ft away you can also see daylight through the room door the curtain only just covers the single glazed windows. If you have a sleep mask and ear plugs you may get some sleep.The main reason we booked this hotel was to get us close to the convention centre and what an excellant location 2mins walk away. I would recommend the Holiday Inn on Polaris Avenue its a lot further away but a far superior hotel.

• Liked — only 2 mins from convention centre
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2008

The motel has really large rooms with either a living room and bed or two beds. I recommend asking for an inside room. The area is ok, but after dark it gets a bit sketchy. The tram is within walking distance, but there were a few times we felt unsafe after we got off. The hotel has a free shuttle that operates till 11pm. Only issue is that it gets full fast and then you have to sit around waiting for another one.(we waited a half hour and ended up taking a cab) Shuttle takes you to and from Ballys. I recommend taking a cab over the tram because the cab is the same price. Pool area was nice, pool was clean. I felt comfortable in the motel and it was clean and maintained with a fridge in the room. The casino is very very small, but fun if you just want to play a few coins. They have a free computer you can use. The restaurant is inexpensive, and we enjoyed the food.
One comment- from the site we were under the impression it was close to the strip. Define close. We love walking, and I would not recommend walking to the strip. It's far and probably not so safe... but good value at the price we paid via CAA.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Hadn't been to Vegas in over a decade and was driving into town calling around for an available room. Picked this hotel out of a AAA book and called. Told them we had 2 kids and wanted a good pool and walking distance to the strip. "We have a great pool and we're right off the strip" was the answer, so we reserved a room. A good start, but from there it went down hill fast.

1. Pool was freezing cold. I saw lots of people attempt, but only one person make it it and she packed a good deal of insulation. Jacuzzi was heated, but not working. Turns out pool does not have a heating system. (Kid's were very disappointed). But, at least their's the strip...

2. Turns out Hotel is 1/2 mile from the strip. Not right off the strip or walking distance in my book. They have a shuttle, but it runs only once an hour (not very convenient). Got conflicting advice from hotel staff about ability to park near the strip at other hotels. (At this point Dad is getting peeved).

3. Room has binder listing the various activities on the strip. We browsed it and picked out a few to check out. Luckily my wife called ahead to get better directions and found that they were no longer active attractions. One was closed for winter and not due to open until May (it was April), the other has closed over 6 months ago for remodel. Worthless binder of misinformation.

4. They serve a breakfast buffet, but unlike almost all Best Westerns it's not included in the price and costs $9 a head. Not worth it for what it was.

5. Iron leaked, toilet couldn't handle it, light bulb was out, sheets felt to be full synthetic (scratchy).

6. Hotel is old and need of a complete remodel. The only good point about it is the larger than normal room size. We had non smoking room, but smokers around us were abundant and you could not avoid it.

About the only good point I could say was the larger than normal room size.

After discovering all this I complained, but was repeatedly told there was no manager on premise and no way to call one. They said call back at certain time, we did and still no manager. This is a rather large hotel and no manager on site ever (sounds like a run-around to me).

I finally got "a" call when I wasn't available and they left a voice message. I called back, still no manager available. I finally got another call back from an assistant who offered to credit my card $40 dollars. I took them up on it as I figured I never hook up with someone who was really interested in hearing my complaints.

• Liked — large rooms
  • Disliked — everything but the room size
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank FamilyTraveler20
wales
Reviewed 11 April 2008

As other have said i to read some reviews how mistaken we found the accomodation to be spacious and cleaned daily if clean towels were needed then all we had to do was leave the dirty on the floor complimentory toiletries were left daily and the maid was only to pleased to give more if asked for. There is a free shuttle that leaves on the hour that goes first to BALLEYS hotel then to the airport. Only had two problems one being that the pool was freezing and another was that we had to give up $100 as a deposit for the room returned on departure which the travel agent did not tell us on booking the safe in the room only costs $2 a day very reasonable bar stays open 24 hours as do most places in vegas the mono rail is just a few meters up the road right of the main entrance its the conference centre stop we bought 24 hour passes $9 each you can ride up and down as often as you like we stayed in 2931 very nice room second floor bottom end of the complex two places highly recommended to eat one being TERRIBLES about a 15-20 min walk left of the main entrance $4.99 buffet breakfast and if you pick up a leaflet in the hotel you can buy one get one free with it. The other place if you want good food is the buffet in HARRAHS hotel $23.00 more food than you can shake a stick at def recommend the CANYON tour and do the SKYWALK.
We are def going back next year as there are still some hotels we have not seen esp in the downtown area all i can say is GO SEE AND ENJOY

• Liked — value and cleanliness
  • Disliked — cold swimming pool
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tinman1uk2008
Provo, Utah
Reviewed 5 April 2008

My husband, daughter, son-in-law, infant grandson, and I went to Las Vegas in Feb. 2008 and stayed at the Mardi Gras Hotel and Casino. We had booked this through hotels.com, so we had never been there. Upon sight, the room looked nice and clean, but the second night, our daughter woke up, feeling something crawling on her. We found a small "tick looking" critter and put it in a bottle. The next night , the same thing happened. This one was larger than the first. We captured it also, and took the first one to the hotel desk, told the desk clerks what had happened and left it with them.
We brought the second one home and the next day I took it to the State Home Extension Office, where an entomologist examined it under a microscope and told me it was a bed bug and that it was quite large because it had just had a "blood meal" . It had feasted on our daughter!! She gave me the phone number of the Public Health Dept. in East Las Vegas and told me to report it to them, which I did. They said they would send someone out to examine the room and would call me back. It's April and I still haven't received a call from them.
I have Googled "bed bugs in Las Vegas" and was amazed at the list of hotels that have been reported to have bed bugs. The report started with the Stratisphere and went on and on. I don't think I am ever staying in Las Vegas again. The entomologist said, "Well, I guess what happens in Vegas, doesn't stay in Vegas, does it?" NO, it certainly DOES NOT"! You can back bed bugs home with you! We had to wash and re-wash everything we had taken with us, but you have to wait 50 days to see if you packed them home with you!!
I recommend anyone planning a trip to Vegas check the "bed bug list" and see if your hotel is on it.
P.S. Two years ago I contracted Norwalk Virus in Vegas, too!! Be careful what you eat.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank UtahLaney
Port Erin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2008

Where do you start about this hotel?.
This is our third visit to Las Vegas,and due to our usual hotel been fully booked our agent put us in this hotel which should be renamed the "Worst" Best Western
We were booked in here for five nights,they offer a pick up service from the airport,we phoned them but they didn`t pick us up.
The safe in the room didn`t work when asked what they could do about this,the answer was nothing.
The room was dirty and smelly,and the outside and inside apperance of the whole place was run down.
It states in the advert that it is near the Strip and Monorail,this is true if you like a Long walk.
Due to the state of the place and their attitude towards us we only stayed there about an hour,then checked out and went to stay in another hotel on the Strip.
Remember the movie Psycho do I say more???.

The best thing for this hotel would be to demolish it.

Stayed March 2008