“Not bad for the location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mardi Gras Hotel & Casino

Mardi Gras Hotel & Casino
Ranked #130 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Muncie, Indiana
“Not bad for the location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2007

Our room was booked as a comp for visit with a time share. Although familiar with Vegas we had never stayed off the strip.
Rooms were dated but clean ..check- in staff was very friendly and gave us a pool-side view on the ground floor. As advertised the rooms are larger than a traditional hotel room. The casino consists of only a few slot machines and while the lounge/restaurant may be a bit smoky at times it was adequate for drinks we enjoyed at happy hour. Waiter was very friendly and informative. We utilized the "top of the hour" shuttle service both to and from the airport as well as to the strip (Bally's). I would advise anyone staying here to pay a few bucks and get a rental car. Didnt think I would miss one due to the length of our stay but could have really used one .. not much in the way of restaurants or bars within a reasonable walking distance. Not a real bad area but not sure I would recommend walking around the area late at night...not much traffic in the area late in the evening.

• Disliked — Lack of restaurants/bars within reasonable walking distance
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Montgomery, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2007

The only reason I cannot add photos to this review is that the memory card on my camera was full and I didn't wish to delete anything on it. The only good thing I could say about this hotel is that yes, it could have been worse; but also with a little care can be much, much better. The feeling of dread began at the approach, this hotel's comment card brags about 28 years and it looks like it's been around that long with very little care given. The clerks were less than friendly, making it to my room with briefcase, garment bag, and roll-on was difficult in the tiny elevator; set of steps up, aisle, then steps again down. The room had an odor, after opening the fridge (which would have been nice to have) I discovered the source of the smell. The coffee maker(also should have been nice to have) was missing the top which meant the coffee stayed in the basket rather than hitting the pot. (I ran hot water through it twice before using it)Must have been that way for guest before me because there was still coffee on the counter top when I moved it to plug in. The remote did not work, Tv reception was poor (maintenance man who came to replace remote blamed the city cable company). Found that interesting as the hotel I moved to the next day had the same cable provider and their reception was excellent.The "safety" chain lock had been pulled from the door frame so many times that it was ineffective to put into use, the lone screw came out in my hand. After washing out the shower so I could feel comfortable using it I reached for a towel only to have one side of the towel rack fall because it was not anchored into the wall effectively dumping the dry towels into the toilet below it...the mattress sagged so badly I was glad this was a solo trip because the center of the bed is where you're going to be no matter what. At check out when I told the clerk how poor my stay was and why she just shrugged her shoulders which makes me think hearing what I said must happen a lot. Yes, I realize you're not paying strip prices here but come on, the owner or manager should stay a night in this place then decide if they would pay for it. I stayed the rest of my trip at a well known strip hotel and only paid double; for the money the strip hotel is by far the better value-I am a frequent stay diamond memeber of this brand, I hope someone who can make them clean up their act sees this review.

Stayed February 2007
8 Thank catsmessages

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Joshua Tree, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2007

Had a great time. Booked 2 rooms, on one of the worst weekends in Vegas, Price was high but due to weekend it was great compared to others. booked in at about 3pm, one room was ready took 1 hour for other room. Both rooms where very clean and LARGE. 2 queen beds in each separrated by a half wall, had part kitchen, no stove or micro. but had safe. Parking was good. Front office very good and very friendly. Small casino and I left a small winner. Restaurant was small but good prices and good food! We had breakfast and served by Maria, She was very friendly and service very good! I will go back here again. It's a little bit of a walk to anywhere, so a car would be good unless walking is for you. I was apprihensive with what I read from the fellow reviews on this site, but took a chance since it was the only place left in town when I book this place at this cost. I don't regret it one second.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank tbruce1701
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2007

I booked this hotel with some doubts because of the bad reviews that it had gotten from several travelers. I must say that I totally disagree that this is a bad hotel. I had prompt courteous service from the staff, check-in and check-out was quick and efficient, and the room was very clean and comfortable. Yes, the walls are a bit thin and allow you to hear noise from outside the room, but I have experienced worse! No traffic noise, no airline noise, or trains to interrupt sleep. I did have a pool/garden view room, so I suspect that helped a lot! The casino is very small with only machines to play, and was a bit smokey but not bad. The bar and restaurant were not crowded, and the food was OK for the price. I would probably stay here again.

• Liked — large rooms
  • Disliked — Not a great casino
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank firedog13814
Spennymoor
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2007

We checked in after an extremely long wait in a queue with only 5 people in front of us. When we arrived at our room someone else was already in there, we were given another room and that key would not open the door so we checked out and went to the Royal Resort where we have stayed for the previous 10 years.
The hotel is:
1. Not Secure - anyone could walk in and wait on the stairs or wait around a corner. Landings were dark.
2. The rooms were smelly - my brother managed to get in their room and the maid had left a dirty cleaning cloth on the bathroom floor.
3. The staff on the desk were not very friendly or helpful with our complaint in fact I felt as if we were putting them out.
4. The restaurant is in the bar and reception area so it is on view to everyone. People were smoking and it was very noisy.
5. Too far from the strip.
6. The lift was very small and it was smelly too.
7. Room door not very strong - one kick and it would be open.
May I add we do not stay in posh hotels and we are not snobbish but there is a limit to what you can put up with.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Security
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank emmalou-7
Penzance, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2007

I notice that this hotel has had some bad reviews. We stayed there for 3 nights in November. A spotlessly clean, comfortable room (2 queens), lots of room for us 4 adults. Washbasin outside the bathroom which was great as others could shave, put make up on, without holding the bathroom up.
Yes, there are no utensils, etc in the kitchenette, just a fridge and coffemaker - but who wants to cook in Las Vegas!!
The reception staff were very efficient and welcoming. Yes, the public areas are quite dark, but we were up the strip or shopping most of the time.
Despite the dark restaurant area, do have breakfast there. It was fresh cooked for us, plentiful and reasonable priced. Real tea and good coffee. We had a waitress, Maria, who was very friendly.
It was lovely to be able to park right outside our room door, unlike the large strip hotels where you park and then have to walk about 2 miles to get in the hotel and another 2 to your room. We had a bit of noise early one morning (young football team staying) and we complained. Without asking, we were given complimentary full breakfast for the four of us.
What more can you ask for - £89 in total for three nights for four of us, including tax, booked through reserveahotel. We would stay there again.

• Liked — Comfort and Price
  • Disliked — Not on The Strip, But Not Too Far Away
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
W. Sacramento, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2006

I had to give the Mardi Gras a 2 because they took our reservation after the Riviera would not. Its a long story... Other than that and a couple of nice shuttle drivers/front desk clerks, the customer service at this place stinks. The "casino" is about a 20 x 20 ft smoke filled room and the restaurant "area" is about 10 tables. The restaurant staff must be rejects from the big casinos.. we even got to witness one bartender's boyfriend / husband threaten another employee by bashing his head against a wall! Lovely. I saw lots of foreigners here.. heed this warning: pay more for a room on the strip where employees wear clean clothing and have some sort of customer service training. Also, you have to wait at least 30 min for cab service from this hotel... As for the room, well, although old it was clean, ours had a sleeping area and a tv viewing area. Very noisy in the morning. I suppose if you had a car and didn't need to use anything but the room, this would be OK. Don't expect too much though.

• Liked — They had a room available when the Riviera would not accept our reservation
  • Disliked — Staff dealing with the public were very unprofessional, rude.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't use the restaurant or casino areas. If you stay, drive a car.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple