“Dirty rooms, rude desk agents, a mouldy spa & a list of excuses ...”

Palms Place Hotel and Spa
Ranked #83 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 25 February 2010

It wasn't a good start as our room was not ready until 5.30pm and the front desk agents forgot to call us to let us know!
Saying that, the suite was fabulous. Great strip views, cutting edge design, swanky furniture, 2 balconies, fabulous bedroom with egg bath situated in front of the window, a fireplace and a cool bar.
But on closer inspection a thick layer of dust covered the furniture. Also the minibar had not been restocked, the kitchen sink smelt really awful, and the carpets were really stained and dirty.

Ii requested that the room be cleaned by housekeeping, unfortunately the next day they did not even sweep. There were crisps on the floor from a previous guest, still a thick layer of dust on the lamps, and the bed linens for the sofabed, were not even folded neatly but were left in a heap on a chair. This continued for the entire stay. They didnt refill the toilet paper and when asked it took them 4 hours to deliver. It also took 2 days and 4 phonecalls to get a working hairdryer, when i asked why it didn't arrive they said there was only 1 person working.

2 of us had a spa day booked, the massages were absolutely fabulous, however the relaxation area was really poor. It was dirty, there were cigarette burns in the outdoor seating area, and there was no fresh juice or iced water, a real contrast to the other spas that i have visited in Vegas. The co-ed steam room was mouldy and the smell was awful. We retreated to the womens area, where the steam area also smelt mouldy, it really needed some eucalyptus oil. Both Palms Hotel & Palm Place pools were closed.

But the worse was really to come...
On the day that we were due to leave i put the do not disturb sign on as we only got in at 6am. However i was woken by a maid in my room at 8.40am. Why the maid decided to arrive on the day we were leaving when she hadn't bothered all week i do not know, but i told her that we had a 11am checkout and that she should come back.
I then tried to get back to sleep, but at 10am i was again awoken by the doorbell ringing, i opened the door to the maid who asked what time i was leaving. I told her again i have 11m checkout, she just turned and left.
I called the front desk to ask what the Do Not Disturb sign meant ? they said that they were not allowed to use the bell , so i asked why housekeeping had let themselves into my room and why they had disturbed me. They had no excuse, and were quite rude.

This are nicely designed apartments, but they just lack the professionalism and poor quality of cleanliness that you get from the other Vegas hotels. On this trip i also stayed at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay, Encore at the Wynn and Platinum, and Palms place was by far the worst hotel I stayed in....

1  Thank 666sue
Write a ReviewReviews (2,486)

Reviewed 24 February 2010

Palms Place is part of the Palms complex and offers really awesome, large rooms with a nice metallic kitchen that I'm sure no one ever uses. The bathroom's are really nice with plenty of space and also a large bathtub and a separate shower area next to it. The wall separating the living room from the bathroom is not made of concrete, but sort of plastic, so while you only see shapes behind it, if you turn on the lights in the bathroom, it lights up the living room pretty well, which was a bit annoying to the person sleeping in the dark living room while the other one was taking the shower.

I really like the metallic finish of the kitchen and the dark wooden floors instead of the usual thick carpets US hotels have, nice darkwood floor is so much better.

The bed and the sofa are very comfortable. The sofa could be turned into a large bed which was comfier than most regular beds in Best Wester and other average hotels. The balcony is large and ours had great view towards the strip. There's a ridiculous two HD tv's in the room and plenty of table space for your stuff and enough closet space too. The kitchen table is surrounded with a few really nice chairs and this was great are to use your laptop and get some work done.

So, the room was great, but the fact that you get charged 30$ a day for gym and shower use at the spa was ridiculous for a hotel of this standard. Also, wifi costs 15$ day, but 21$ for a month, so...obvious choice there.

The lobby bar at the Palms Place is actually quite comfy and nice as were the bartenders. Now the hotel does have a certain crowd, people really seemed to be concentrating in showing themselves off, so it isn't the most relaxed place around especially at the Palms various clubs where most people concentrated looking good rather than having fun.

The strip is only a 10$ cab ride away and there's a Starbucks and some stores across the Palms Place, so location-wise, the hotel is good.

1  Thank RiotPelaaja
Reviewed 15 February 2010

While the hotel was not directly on the strip, it was such a bargain. For the same cost on the strip, you'd be staying at the Excalibur. Check in was very smooth. The front desk offered up information on how to get to the Palms. From the Palms proper (and not Palms Place), there is a shuttle that will take you back to the strip for free. On the way back, you can catch the shuttle at the Paris, Bally's, or Caesar's.

Our room was nice. We stayed in a studio suite. It had a large kitchenette type area. The bathroom was awesome. Large hot tub, great shower, TV in the bathroom. The beds were large and extremely comfortable. There was a nice large balcony with a great view of the strip.

1  Thank ClumsyIsis
Reviewed 11 February 2010

I am not sure why people have negative things to say about the Palms Place, we had a fantastic experience there.

We went to Vegas with the intention to get away from our two young children. The Palms Place was perfect for that. When we showed up, we were the only people in the lobby checking in. The front desk girl was super friendly, gave us the best room she had available and gave us a Simon Dining Package for the same price she was going to charge us for our room ($199 for a 1-bedroom suite).

The room was big with modern decor and we loved the bathtub in the master bedroom right in front of the window. The tub fit the two of us comfortably and we were able to sit in it and have a perfect view of the strip from the Stratosphere to the Mandalay Bay. The bathroom is quite luxurious also with a rain shower plus two additional shower heads. The bed was comfortable too. We ate dinner at the Simon restaurant located on the 6th floor which served wonderful food and the service was excellent.

When we checked out, there was a problem with the bill, but it was fixed promptly without any arguments. The valet staff were happy and chatty and the concierge was brilliant with his knowledge of the available Vegas shows. In all, the combination of service oriented staff, beautiful room and good food made for a very memorable stay.

The front desk girls shared some information on the Palms Place. Apparently they are condos, with each unit owned by an individual who allows the Palms to rent out their space when it is not being used. We found for this reason, all the staff treats you like gold, because they never know if you are an owner, a friend of an owner, or a guest of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Stayed at Palms Place for two nights this week. Hotel is off the strip, but very accessible and not hard to find. Our check in went smoothly and we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room and the great views of the strip. The following, however, made our stay at Palms Place one that I would not want to repeat again and would not recommend it to any of my friends:
- The lights in the main hallway right by the room entrance were not working, which made it hard to open the door and even harder to find a light switch inside the room. It would have been pretty spooky if I was by myself, but I wasn't scared with my husband by my side. Oh well, I thought I will just call the front desk and have them fix it. Called three times during our stay, but nobody came up to check it out and the light bulbs were not changed.
- After walking in the room, we noticed the strange smell. I decided that it is from the cleaners they use and did not pay much attention. However, we noticed later that the cabinets and the kitchen counters were covered in dust!
- The mini bar was locked the entire stay. Called the front desk, but my request was completely ignored again.
- The next morning I decided to take a bath. Looking for a plug which was nowhere to be found I noticed several pieces of hair on the bottom of the tub. Being the optimist that I am, got some Kleenex and swiped it off. But when the water started to pour, there was more and more hair collecting on top!!!. In shock I called the front desk again and although my complaint was met with apologies from the front desk person, the housekeeper was only send up after I spoke to the manager! And that's all he could offer, a fast housekeeping service, which took about 15 minutes to show up. After the bathroom was cleaned the strange smell I mentioned before has disappeared.
- Wrongful charges, mismanaged accounting and rude staff. At the time you reserve a room at Palms Place you credit card is charged for one night of you stay as a deposit for your reservation. It is noted on your reservation that the hotel will hold extra $150.00 on your credit card to cover the incidental charges. What they don't tell you is that it is not a hold, but an actual charge which is later supposed to be returned! The additional charge on my credit card was not $150, but $198, for a reason that the staff could not explain. And my credit card was charged three times more than the balance due on the reservation statement. After calling the accounting department, I was informed that the computer systems were down all this week and that they will not be able to return the wrongful charges for another week. In addition, my call was met with cold and arrogant attitude which I noticed from most of the staff member while staying there. The manager at the accounting department yelled at me for asking too many questions and not listening to her, when I was trying to figure out when and why the money was taken and how it will be refunded.
In summation, the hotel staff was unaccommodating, rude and arrogant. The overall vibe was that they are doing you a favor by letting stay here and you cannot ask for stuff to be fixed or wrongful charges returned.
Terrible experience, which is not over yet. Have to call regarding the charges by the end of next week...

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MildaG
Reviewed 10 January 2010

How many places can you say are great quality contemporary hip and have great deals and a lot of day and night fun!
The rooms are great! The best bed I have ever slept on so much we bought the same mattress. Services are great! Great pool and great Mexican buffet and 2.99 breakfast buffet Las Vegas has! Movie theater and celebrity tattoo parlor fun for all ages =). Great night life and bars! HIP, HIP, HIP! Palms is off the strip but sooooooo worth it and just a quick convenient taxi ride to the strip appx 2-3 min. You will love your stay here!
***spectacular urban spa!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I booked this hotel last minute under the recommendation of a friend. Upon check in our front desk clerk made casual conversation and even put us in a room that had a fantastic view. The room was fantastic- we appreciated the full sized kitchen. The bathroom was nothing more that top of the line luxury.

My only complaint was with our housekeeping. We had robes missing from the bathroom and no one ever came to replace them after calling the front desk twice. Parts of the room were in disrepair- missing moldings and cracks on some of the built ins.

We also visited a very nice bistro style restaurant for lunch overlooking the pool that was really good. Our waiter was very laid back and the food was first class- hard to get with a quick lunch.

The parking was not great in this location, however valet was always on top of things and all of the staff did a really good job making you feel as if you were a VIP.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple