I've stayed at a majority of the hotels on the strip and downtown but had not stayed at the Rio until our recent trip in October. We got a great deal through SWA Vacations so we thought we'd give it a try.
We arrived on a Sunday morning about 9:00, too early for check-in, even early check-in (which they said would start about 1:00). That's fine, we didn't expect to get a room at that time. So we checked our bags with the bell hop and settled into the sportsbook for some football (my girlfriend isn't a sports fan but I love her for putting up with it :) ) The sportsbook itself is average at best, there are better options around town. But as the games start at 10:00 and I needed to get some bets down we watched at the Rio.
Around 4:30 we checked in. The line had about 20-25 people in and went quickly. We were upgraded to a premium suite (all rooms are suites) in the Ipanema tower. A premium suite just means you have a strip/pool view. And since you're a mile off the strip it isn't as cool as a strip view from a strip hotel but it was fine. The room itself was adequate. I like the extra room you get (600 sq ft) compared to a standard hotel room. Hopefully these rooms will get updated soon, they would use it. But it was fine, we had no noise from above/below or next to us.
One reason many don't like staying off strip is because you are away from the "action". I didn't mind that at all. The Rio runs two shuttles every half hour. One to and from Bally's, one to and from Harrahs. It was perfect for us. The shuttles were always crowded but never too crowded that you couldn't get on one. We were there a Sun through Thursday, I imagine on weekends they DO get crowded enough that you may have to wait for the next one, which would be somewhat inconvenient.
Gambling at the Rio was just fine. We are not slot or VP players so I can't speak to those. But the craps tables were fun, there were $5 tables, at least one, always available (again maybe not the case on a weekend).
We had a Groupon for Buzios Seafood Restaurant. I would rate this as average to slightly above average. I thought it was a good value with the Groupon, without it probably not. This is the only restaurant we ate it at the Rio. Kind of odd, we usually eat quite a bit at the hotel we stayed at but this time we always ate wherever else we were going that day.
Another nice thing about the Rio is you can walk over to the Gold Coast and/or to the Palms. Gold Coast is a low roller place so if you are on a limited gambling budget it might be the place for you. The Palms is great, I really like the place, we walked over there a couple of times.
On a previous trip earlier this year we went to Penn & Teller. Highly recommended.
In conclusion I would definitely recommend the Rio, especially if you can get a good rate. Don't let it being "off strip" deter you, it's an easy shuttle ride to the strip. The casino (actually there are two of them) are well laid out, overall customer service was great and I won't hesitate to stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spacious suites and luxurious amenities complement the gaming thrills, sumptuous dining and hot entertainment found at Rio. The excitement of Carnival radiates throughout the casino floor and out to the pools of VooDoo Beach where guests can soak up the sun in both family-friendly and adults-only areas. Inside, guests can dine at celebrity chef Guy Fieri's restaurant El Burro Borracho, feast on over 300 dishes prepared daily at the Carnival World & Seafood Buffet or experience the city's finest panoramic views at VooDoo Steak. Enjoy the KISS by Monster Mini Golf 18-Hole miniature golf course filled with state-of-the-art video, special effects and unique KISS props. See Las Vegas in the most thrilling and spectacular way when you ride the Voodoo Zipline and soar more than 400 feet above the ground at exhilarating speeds. Back on the ground, entertainers Penn & Teller and the Chippendales keep audiences enraptured nightly or rock out to the great rock songs of the 80's when you watch the worldwide smash hit musical, Rock of Ages. Of course, you may prefer to dance above the lights and under the stars at VooDoo Rooftop Nightclub located 51 floors about the excitement. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Agoda, Odigeo, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio All-Suite Hotel And Casino
- Rio All- Hotel Las Vegas
- Rio Suite Hotel
- Rio Hotel Las Vegas
- Rio Suite Resort
- Rio Casino
- Rio Suites
- Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino Las Vegas