“Great Family Reunion”

Ranked #68 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Page, Arizona
“Great Family Reunion”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Thank you Sams Town Hotel, this was a great family trip, never had to leave the hotel. Restaurants good, rooms good, bowling. great time "cosmic bowling" Pool time good. We will
be back. Plan ahead & they take care of you all the way. Only downside the Buffet, they seemed very upset that we had 25 people that wanted to sit close together?

Room Tip: Inside with view of "mystic falls"
1 Thank ShellyAz1414

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 17 September 2013

First off let me say, I am a local now so I don't stay at Sam's Town. I do vist Sam's Town two or three times per month, so I would like to tell you about the neighborhood, food, and the slots at Sam's Town.

Sam's Town is located on Bolder Highway. It is not in the best part of town. If I were staying at Sam's Town, I would not go walking off of the property especialy at night. Sam's Town has very good security on their parking lot, so I would feel comfortable waliking out to my car. There is a Walgreens next door to Sam's Town and it is very conveinient.

As far as restaurants go, Billy Bob's is probably the best choice. It has an Old Vegas feel and the food is very good. This is where my wife and I had dinner for our last Aniversary in July. Their early bird special from 5:00 to 6:00 PM is very popular and it very good, Steak Medalians, Salad and Baked Potato are very good.

Most of the time we just eat at the buffet when we go to Sam's Town. The food is OK and the service is pretty good at the buffet Often the buffet food is overly salty. Dinner Prime Rib Sunday through Thursday and Steak Night Saturday Night are $9.99 with the players card. We had really good steaks on one Saturday night and then Steaks that were disappointing on another Saturday night. They have lots of other choices on the buffet in addition to the Prime Rib and Steak night. I have only had the dinner buffet so I can't say about Breakfast or Lunch.

Sam's Town also has a small food court with McDonalds and Pizza. There is also a Subway and Ice Cream shop on the other side of the property away from the food court.

Sam's Town has lots of slot machines and many of those are Penny Slots. I can't say I have ever hit any jackpots at Sam's, but I don't play much either. Sam's Town is an older property and it is a large property. You might want to check out the free animated show Mistic Falls that plays several times nightly. Also, it is decorated with a Christmas theme in December and that show is fun too. Sam's Town also offers Bingo and They have a free Variety Show on Thursdays at 2:00 PM including Clint Holmes (at the time of this review). I have not seen the show yet so I can't offer a review.

Sam's Town is very busy on most weekends, and is especially crowded when the Rodeo is in Las Vegas in early January. There is a Sam's Town 300 NASCAR race in March and Sam's Town is very crowded with NASCAR fans during that week as well.

Overall reasonable prices, older facility but not run down. Stay on property or drive, don't walk in the area around Sam's Town. Good food choices and Fast Food too.

5 Thank GaryBGood714
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Wow this is a huge place with alot to do!! Price was amazing and the hotel was very clean! Every morning when the maids were cleanig atleast half the rooms were getting the carpets steam cleaned too.. The only drawbacks were:: The beds are in need of replacement not too comfy and we bought a room fan for white noise and the rooms air conditioning worked part of the time. It is a far from the strip it took us roughly 25 to 35 min to get there by car!

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear the laser show and music every two hours till 10pm request the outside...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kris B
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I do really like Sam's Town because I like the bingo. This time the first room I got stunk of mold and mildew to high heaven. They moved me the next day as they were full on Sat. In the second room the bed my daughter had was off the bed frame so they had to fix that. Then the bathroom fan didn't work so the bathroom got all steamy. It just seemed like the place was falling apart. They should fix these things before people check in.

Room Tip: Take the time to check your room before you unpack.
1 Thank bonnarino
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding the smell in your room, the issue with the bed frame, and the bathroom fan. We must apologize that your experience with us was unsatisfactory; this is not in line with our usual high service standards. Your comments have been forward to Housekeeping and Facilities. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your future stay.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 September 2013

When arriving on a Friday or Saturday night, we like to stay off-strip, because Strip-rates are three-to-four times the week day rate. Sam's Town is one of our faves for those weekend arrivals. We have never paid more than $75/night on a weekend.

The first time we visited this casino, we took a bus from one of the Strip hotels (Harrahs, maybe?) out there. We enjoyed it, but it seemed like such a long way out there and back that we didn't re-visit for several years, when we started renting a car for the trip and venturing out to some of the outlying places. Then, one trip when we were trying to book one of our usual Saturday night stays at a different hotel, but when we called that hotel, it was booked, so they suggested Sam's Town. Okay...let's give it a try. We'd played there but hadn't stayed there.

First off, the hotel rooms are very similar to Hampton Inn or Holiday inn Express rooms, as far as furnishings and decor. The rooms aren't lush like the five-star hotels, but nor do they charge a five-star rate. Very mid-scale, traditional. The rooms are clean, and the beds/bedding are comfortable, so no complaints there. And we've always had a quiet room, able to get a good night sleep. I will say that we've never had an atrium-facing room, so I don't if that makes a difference.

Furnishings look like furniture you'd have at home, and included the bed, bedside tables with clock/radio, a desk with desk chair, chest of drawers, a comfy upholstered chair, and a flat panel television. There was a large mirror above the desk which was situated next to the window, so that's where I sat to do hair/makeup, because of the natural light.

The bathrooms are the basic, with a single-lavatory, tub/shower combo. Blow-dryer mounted on the wall, and just enough towels. The usual toiletries: basic shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap. (Ladies, if you color or treat your hair, take your own shampoo/conditioner when you travel because few hotels provide color-safe products....just sayin'.) The bathrooms are not very big, so two people trying to get dressed at the same time is a bit tricky.

The closet is rather small, but adequate for a short stay. There was an ironing board and iron for quick pressing if needed.

The hotel charges a daily resort fee, which covers 24-hour unlimited internet usage. If you want faster internet service, you can pay an extra fee.

However, there is NO ROOM SAFE. If you travel with cash, credit cards, electronics, etc. a room safe is very important. I cannot understand why some of the hotels still don't have them. That is my only real issue with this hotel. There are travel safes available online, but it's just one more thing to pack. Plus, it's a heck of a lot more convenient if there is a room safe.

As for restaurants, there are plenty of places to eat: a steakhouse, mexican restaurant, buffet, TGI-Fridays, and small food court. If you want something quick to take with you, or a sit-down meal, you won't go hungry.

The casino itself seems small when you first go in, but it meanders around, two floors, so plenty of opportunity to play. I'm not much of a slot machine player, but the few I did play were quick to scarf down my money without any winnings in return. I think on one machine, a nickel machine, I put in a $20 without one payout whatsoever. We found the VP machines to be more friendly than the Strip casino machines, though, so I was able to recoup what I lost in the slot machines. Hubby plays poker, and said the poker room is basic, comfortable, and adequate. He was in there a long time. Drink service was okay. I think the casinos must not have as many servers as they used to. The mornings thru mid-day were okay, but in the afternoons and evenings, they didn't seem to make the rounds very frequently. If you tip really well they'll make a point to come by to check on you, though.

All-in-all, this is a good place to stay and play. We've stayed there several times and will stay again.

PROS: room rates; clean, comfortable rooms; a lot of low-denomination machines
CONS: no room safe

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KatKnapTrvl
Jackson, Georgia
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We always stay at Sams Town, the rooms are huge and always clean. We have stayed here at least once a year for the past 15 years and have always enjoyed our stay here. Staff is always friendly and helpful, a variety of food choices, from the buffet, sports deli, Subway, McDonalds, Sbarro's, Panda Express, Billy Bob's, Willie & Joses, and TGIF. We always rent a car so we can go sightseeing and we will go to the strip and valet park at one of the hotels there and walk taking in the sights. Comps add up fast and we usuallly pay $27.00 to 32.00 a night for a room, that is big. We have stayed at the high dollar places and they can keep them, as long as Sam's keeps doing what it's been doing, we will continue to stay here. I did see the review from MerJim and talked about spending $400.00 a day, I think they have the wrong property plus they said this was a Hilton property. Plus your only about 10 to 15 minutes from airport, very easy to get to.

Room Tip: 9th floor is all smoking so choose a lower floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jb49001
La Quinta, CA
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at Sam's for 2 nights and got an amazing price of $36/night for two of us plus a free breakfast buffet for two both mornings. The room was good sized with two double beds and a very large bathroom. Everything was clean. The bed could have been more comfortable but it was adequate. The breakfast was delicious once we made it through the slow moving line to even get a table. Made to order omelets or eggs cooked any way you want plus just about anything else you could think of was available on the huge buffet. We had plenty of food to eat. We just thought the line to get in could have been managed a little better.

It was a challenge to figure out which parking garage to use and then to find our room from there. Still, parking was free so we can't complain too loudly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple