“Pretty good”

Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall
Ranked #66 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 22 November 2013

For the price, we found this hotel to be a pretty good place to stay while vacationing in Vegas. We booked a king size non-smoking room about a month prior to arriving and unfortunately, upon arrival there were no non-smoking rooms available. So, we had to tough it out in a smoking room until the next day. Staff was nice---room was clean---Mystic Falls show was a little "cheesy."---Billy Bobs was good. Overall, pretty good for the price and nice to be off of the strip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed in the RV park in our 38 foot motorhome. We found the facilities to be well kept, clean and guarded by a fleet of bicycle security guards. The staff was friendly, if not always overly pleasant, but Vegas seems to be plagued that way. There is a lot to do in the Casino, restaurants, theater, bowling, and thousands of ways to risk your hard earned paycheck. Of course you have to breathe cigarette smoke, which is such a shock coming from Utah that we struggle not to use gas masks.

The pool and hot tub were nice and we used them several times. There are enough vendors to get just about anything done to your RV that you could wish. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi hotspot locations can be varied, so check them out before you commit to a site. Especially if...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RoanP
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The buffet is above average there is also a quite place by check.The are rooms or nice great rates with or without players card best way to get there is with a car high cab rates. There is another casino next door. If it is your first trip to LV be sure to get all the players card you can benefits for further trips.

Room Tip: Get players card
Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Irving M
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The rooms are a nice size, well appointed and definitely worth more than I was paying. There is nothing to do around the hotel, but there is absolutely no reason to leave the property. There literally is everything a person would want to entertain themselves...Movies, bowling, eating, gambling, parting etc... The bar and laser light show was very entertaining.

This is definitely the best deal in Las Vegas! Downtown and the convention Center are a straight shot 15 minutes and the airport about 20 minutes... Next time I will take advantage of the Shuttle downtown!!! This is my new Convention address...

Room Tip: There are no views. There is also little ambient noise, so all the rooms are probably similar.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We wanted to be off the Strip but still reasonably close to the LV Convention Center. We chose Sam's because it was a mid-price property via Priceline. The pictures looked great.

Upon arrival, the hotel could not honor our request for a king non smoking nor did they expect one would be available during our four-night stay.

Our room on the ninth floor was definitely used by smokers. It had that stale cigarette odor we despise. We looked out on the enclosed atrium so no chance to get fresh air from the window. We ran the fan non-stop and by the fourth night, just a trace of smoke odor stuck.

I am somewhat of a hotel snob, preferring Marriott properties. Our room, aside from the smoke issue, was dingy. Fortunately the beds were good, linens crop and bathroom spotless. The carpet struck me as filthy. Stains on the Western-style upholstered arm chair. The wooden writing table scuffed and scratched. Debris was left behind from the previous guest. This was not a place to enjoy. It embodied that expression "rode hard and put away wet."

The hotel also charges a $12 (I believe) daily fee to cover internet and shuttle to the strip. I insisted i needed neither and management assisted on charging it. They would not back down.

I don't get to LV often enough to know if this is normal for such a property. It was a major disappointment and when I expressed my concern with the night shift supervisor, it was like talking to a wall.

I will not stay here again and would urge my friends to avoid it, unless they like smokey, dirty, worn room -- in which case they'd be happy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ed H
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit. I am glad to read that you found your accommodations to be clean and the bed and linens comfortable. I'm confident that when you brought the items that you found less than satisfactory to the attention of the Hotel Manager that she started immediately to take the necessary steps to remedy those problems. I am sorry that the type of room you requested was not available when you arrived. Specifics on room requests as well as the taxes and fees should be clearly stated at the point you finalize your reservations, and I assure you that we will follow up with Priceline to make sure they are properly posting that information. I apologize that this marred your trip and sincerely hope that you will decide to visit us again and offer us the opportunity to better meet your expectations.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

It was a great room at a bargain price in sin city. The beds were comfortable and the room was spacious. I'm definitely NOT a Vegas fan but we needed a place to stay and it was as good as can be expected.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed end of October for 1 night only. I had planned on going to GC but because of the shutdowns I became leary and booked a night here instead. Let me say that I am not much of a gambler. There is a casino 5 minutes from my house and I have never been. But being in Vegas I play a bit and after arriving here I hit $100 on my second spin. Of course I put it all back and then some but nice to hit something for a change. I don't gamble because I am never lucky like I keep reading about other people.

Anyways I had a Jacuzzi suite booked for the night but decided to go hit the movies and get some grub. I went to the buffet for $14. This review lost a star and almost 2 because of the buffet. It was basically inedible. I did not finish one thing that I sampled. Awful food there. I went to the movies immediately afterwards and had to get the large popcorn because I was hungry. The movie stunk the place up worse than the food and I left there after a about 40 minutes. Horrible Brad Pitt movie with Cameron Diaz also. And I can't believe that after at least 10 ads to tell people to turn off their cells some lady took a call about 5 minutes in. Unbelievable rudeness on display. I was in shock. But not the hotels fault I picked a bad movie.

I hit the bar in the courtyard and got a beer for 4 bucks and watched the light show. Fantastic. I loved it. I wish I had time to hit the bowling alley as well but maybe next time. so the room was great the staff were great and the amenities great but stay away from the buffet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo