“Best Off Strip Hotel”

Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall
Ranked #60 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 10 January 2009

We booked online directly through the hotel website almost 4 months previous for a 5 night stay through New Year of 09. The rate dropped almost $200 online about 1 week before arrival, so we called the reservations number and they adjusted it no questions asked. The checkin was the quickest I have ever seen in Vegas, less than 5 minutes. Got a complimentary upgrade to a Mystic Falls view room with flat panel TV by being $20 nicer to the checkin person. Tips can do wonders in Vegas. The bathroom is very large, and bright, with rounded tub/shower. The rooms were clean and the bed/sheets were very comfortable. Mystic Falls is a neat show to watch. There are plenty of restaurants and the buffet is wonderful. The casino is great....not near as crowded as strip or downtown. They have regular shuttle service to the strip and to downtown, so you never have to worry about driving and parking. We only like to spend 1 or 2 days on the strip anyway. If you like a more laid back type of casino, this is it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joaks
Write a ReviewReviews (1,818)

Reviewed 3 November 2008

Stayed the last 3 nights in October at a fantastic rate. I read elsewhere that they might add a $4.50 nightly service fee on but it turned out to be only $1. Considering they provide a free shuttle service to several hotels on the strip and downtown I consider that more than fair. Originally got a great rate through the hotel website, then received a travelocity "sale" email that listed an even better price. Called the hotel directly and they matched the rate after verifying it was available on the web. Ended up paying ~$23.50 a night. I've never stayed in Vegas more cheaply and certainly have had less quality hotels for more than that price. Requested a king size non smoking which I received without a problem. The TV in the room was a maybe a 19 inch tube model which is a little dated but worked fine. Standard room was a good size. Only minor problem with the room was a small amount of peeling wall paper near the shower. The hotel has a "show'" that runs for only a few minutes every couple of hours in the afternoon that is quite loud. It might disturb your sleep or tv viewing but it stops at 10pm so shouldn't be a major problem. I was in an interior room. The exterior rooms probably wouldn't be effected by the noise. The check in and check out were quick. Lobby staff were helpful. I ate a late dinner (3am) at the steak house where the food and service were both excellent. Elevators were prompt. They have alcohol hand sanitizers near the main elevators and in the gaming areas which is a nice touch. The bowling alley was well lit and clean. Didn't go the the theaters. Nice variety of restaurants from ultra cheap mcdonalds to the steak house with a lot of selection between. The shuttle was a huge bus actually. Ran on time and was clean. The pickup location is not clearly marked however and I missed the first bus because I was looking in the wrong spot. The hotel is located near a number of major roads and has a number of city buses that service the area if you need to travel around on the ultra cheap. There is also a walmart just across the road. I only played roulette and poker in the casino so can't speak for the other areas, but the dealers were friendly. The poker room currently has two tournaments a night at 7 and 11pm I think. One night there weren't enough players for the second game so it was canceled. I believe there's a morning tournament also. Buy ins are very cheap. Had a lot of fun playing in the tournaments. Everyone is very friendly and was on a first name basis with a number of people after a few hours. Had a good time will consider staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank pharmdeity
Reviewed 30 October 2008

I stayed here for 5 nights in late October, part of my 2 week vacation in Vegas. I needed a cheap place to stay so tried here the first time. Rooms were around $25/night, fri and saturday was around $70, still a good value.

I liked the hotel very much, probably the best hotel out of the 3 I stayed at. Rooms were basic and clean. They had 40-inch LCD HD tv, but no HD channels, so picture wasn't the greatest. i was able to hook up my laptop to it though with a HDMI cable. The only real negative I can think of is they don't have any room service-- but the week I was there a Fridays Resturant just opened up in the casino with a take out counter so if you like eating in the room they came in handy. The elevators were fast and maid service was good. There's also a Walmart Supercenter right across the street which was handy. It is a few easy miles from the strip (just drive straight down Flamingo), but if you don't have a car they had shuttle buses out back that went downtown and to the strip.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank devorzon
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Played and ate at Sam's Town often but never stayed there until now. Got a great ($25) rate on-line (better than casino rate) for a Thursday night. Room (879) with king bed was perfectly adequate. Not as fancy as Caesars Palace but not as much of a let down as we might have expected. Very basic, clean room. Bathroom had tub/shower and sink/vanity in same room so mirror fogged up extremely bad after shower...an electric mirror defogger would have worked wonders.

Bed was standard hotel type and a bit firm for our taste but when you don't go to bed until 3am it does not matter. View was south down Boulder Hwy so even number rooms face the atrium. LCD TV but the old style amoire TV cabinet was still in the room...they put the ice bucket and plastic cups where the TV used to be. The room was clean and the temp controls worked great. We've paid a lot more for far worse accomodations.

One big contrast we noted at Sam's Town in general from places on the Strip is the lack of newbie first time Vegas visitors. The people at Sam's Town knew what they were doing and were obviously regulars. The slots were fare more friendly than on the Strip and we accumulated enough points to probably have had the room entirely comped had it not been booked (and paid for) on-line.

We ate at Billy Bob's Steakhouse (really good) and at the buffet for breakfast (a classic bargain)...see seperate reviews. All around Sam's Town is a great value unlike the huge rip-offs on the Strip...example the $5.49 breakfast buffet was every bit as good as the $15,99 buffet at Caesars Palace.

One downside....taxi to airport is more expensive than from Strip. If just staying at Sam's it might be worth renting a cheap car. Plenty of parking. Make sure taxi to airport takes Nellis to Tropicana to Paradise...much faster/shorter than Flamingo.

I think we have found our new Las Vegas "casino home" for when work is not paying for staying at Caesars.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sequim88
Reviewed 22 October 2008

Way better than we expected---what value---resort has everything

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kenphilm
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We stayed at Sam's Town because of my boyfriend's bowling league sweeps. I've never been a fan Vegas - I don't get the whole too much drinking and too much smoking all the while throwing one's money away. Not my idea of fun, but I understand other's have a great time of it.

Sam's Town is about 7 to 9 miles away from the strip/downtown. That suited us on such a quick weekend trip. Plus, the casino is less crowded. However, Sam's Town does offer free shuttles between its casino and several sites along the strip and dowtown, which is nice for those who either do not have cars or do not wish to drive.

Our room was nothing terribly special, but it was clean and comfortable. It is almost time for the bed to be changed (it's a little old and soft), but we managed to have a couple of good night's sleep so it was serviceable. Plenty of clean towels, clean carpeting, and everything was dusted. We didn't have the 42" plasma TV spoken of in another review, but the TV worked just fine and was standard hotel fare.

There are several restaurants in the casino. We managed to eat at Billy Bob's Steak House, which had large portions but was rather expensive for what was received and the service given. Unless a very special event, I would skip this. We did eat at the buffet for breakfast and dinner, and thought it did quite well, although we were more impressed by breakfast with lots of choices. Dinner was okay, but when it came to dessert, some of them were leftover for quite some time and had gotten a littel "crispy."

Mystic Falls in the center atrium is a relaxing parklike place to walk through or sit and relax. It is covered and air-conditioned, yet it feels like one is outdoors. There is a light and water show that gets a little loud, but is pleasing to watch - once. If kids are in tow, they might enjoy this.

The bowling alley (a place we spent quite a bit of time, actually) was quite nice. One of the better places we have bowled. The lanes are nicely set up and feel comfortable. Hey, I bowled a 189! But seriously, this offers a nice respite from the typical Vegas scene and allows one to get a little exercise as well!

The casino is, well, a casino. I stayed away from the tables, as the table minimums appeared rather high to me. But then, the last time I was in Vegas was 1991 (hey, I don't "do" Vegas, what can I say??), and these might be normal. The minimums were $5, $10, and $25. More than my budget allows. I stuck with the machines, which bore me after about an hour, and lost more than I won. (which is typical for me) My boyfriend played the penny slots and did quite well, though. My major beef with the casino (and this true of any casino anywhere in Nevada) is the smoke. I am a non-smoker, and smoke gives me a headache after a while. Even sitting in the "non-smoking" areas (which are right in the middle of the smoking areas - makes sense?) doesn't help, plus there are limited machines. There is a second floor casino, and this was a little better, only because there were fewer people up there so less smoke.

So, all in all, if you are looking for a less crowded, comfortable, clean Vegas experience with access to the Strip and downtown, Sam's Town might just fit the bill. It is huge (I kept getting lost), but there really is a lot to keep one occupied. However, if one has difficulty with cigarette/cigar smoke, then perhaps a casino vacation/getaway is not what you want to do.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chele60
Reviewed 13 September 2008

I stayed at Sam's Town 7-12 September 2008 and had a wonderful time. The staff were outstanding and they really helped when I had requested a smoking room and ended up getting a non smoking room. They had a different room ready for me on the next day.

The hotel/casino is huge!! The entire complex takes up at least one entire city block including the RV park. Not only do you have the casino, Sam's also has a bowling alley, 4 resturants, a McDonalds, Duncan Donuts, a movie theater, and of course the atrium. Rooms are nice and both of the ones I had included a 42 inch plasma display. Maid service was done before 11AM which was nice.

The free shuttle service takes you to down town and the strip. If you use this combined with the other free shuttles, you won't be spending a dime on cab fares during your stay. Except for going to and from the airport.

Nice rooms, free shuttles, great service, at a low price. Sam's will be getting my business in the future.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo