“What more could you ask for....”

Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall
Ranked #66 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Sydney
“What more could you ask for....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

I stayed at Sam's town for 7 nights. Found the hotel to be very clean, the staff polite and helpfull, the facilities first rate... the bowling alley and the theater were fantastic. The resturants on site are good value with great food and service. This would have to represent the best value stay I have had anywhere... you could not go wrong with Sam's Town!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

We stayed at Sam's Town for 4 nights in April of 2010 during the week. With the "resort fee" of $4.50 a night the rooms were just under $40 (weekday rates) Since it was my birthday, we got a free upgrade to a suite. The room was average, but had a hot-tub, and a view of the laser show. It was clean, but certainly not a luxury room. (the free upgrade put us on a smoking floor, which we did not appreciate... but the room did not smell of smoke)

If you stay at Sam's Town, make sure you have a rental vehicle. Although they offer a free shuttle down to the strip, the shuttle ends at 11:00 - which was a problem for our night-owl friends, and a cab from the strip costs $35! The hotels on the strip do offer free valet parking, so it wasn't a big deal. (but tipping valets does add up quickly!)

My husband played at the blackjack tables, which had a $5 buy-in (the lowest we saw in Vegas) The first night, the dealer was terrible, very rude. The second night he played again, and the dealer was fantastic! It was entertaining just to play at the table!

If you stay, be sure to sign up for a club card, it will get you a discount on the buffet. We ate at the buffet twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast. The dinner buffet was ok, but the breakfast buffet is well worth the price. Every breakfast item you could want is offered, and omelets are made to order. (be sure to get there early, the lines are long!)

For the price paid, we were expecting much less. We did have a rental vehicle for the week, so the distance to the strip wasn't a problem for us. We had some luck on the slots at Sam's Town too. We did appreciate having a variety of restaurants in the facility, and ate at the TGIFridays twice. You can also purchase beers here for $2, which is outstanding, compared to the $7 on the strip.

Overall, the hotel stay was adequate for the price paid. (but I do think next time, we will spend a bit more to stay directly on the strip) It is an affordable option for travelers wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle of the strip.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Wanderlust_417
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2010

Stayed for four nights late April. Walls are a bit thin - last two nights I could hear the woman in the next room and she wasn't being overly loud - just a medium pitched voice. Used my earplugs. Other than that it was a quiet stay on the 7th floor. Staff - oh my- talk about friendly and personable. Room toiletries - no conditioner or shower hats but they did have shampoo, body lotion and soap. Room was clean - vents and carpet-meets-the-wall areas could use a vacuuming but not that bad at all. Two queen bed room - plenty of room - better than your average Motel 6 and the like. Not a glitzy crowd at all. Mostly families and middle aged to senior folks. Nice easy pace feeling. Note - if you have scent issues, beware - there were areas on the main floor and also on the second floor (walk around area) that were just reeking of something strong and fragrant. I'm not sensitive to fragrance usually but it bothered me. Wasn't everywhere though. And what's with this Jon and Ric's Salon? The whole time I was there the place was closed with a note on the door with a cell number to call. Parking garages - more than one, and tons of free parking. Here's a tip that will save you unnecessary exercise! Garage 2 - the floor numbers don't match up with the hotels. The garage level 2 is on the hotel's level 3, which has a separate set of elevators and a pedway over the street. When you check out, if you are driving, bring all of your luggage to your car first, as without your pass card, you can't get to any of the hotel elevators to get back up to the garage pedway. (Not that I was told - might need to send a hex towards a particular security guard if that's not so.) I asked for and got two extra blankets to use. There is Internet connection available through some third party group - $10 for a 24 hour period. On the heavily scented second floor (or it may be the third floor now that I think about it), there are computers with printers. I used the internet connection with my laptop but due to tech difficulties couldn’t log on the first time I tried. Issue was resolved by the time I got back to the room later that day, but I did get booted out a couple of times. Never saw a luggage rack or porter the whole stay. I found it cheaper to book through the hotel, and two days after I did, I got an email notice advertising lower rates and some comps (Ha! Casino talk!). I phoned the reservations folks and had no problem getting the lower rate and $25 food credit offered. Can’t do that on Expedia.
Food - Porterhouse steak at Billy Bob's was REALLY good. Baked potato was ...meh. Firelight buffet - ate there once - not bad but I should have passed on paying the $3 extra dollars to add the New York steak option. It wasn't much better than average, and they were serving beef anyway.
Bathroom in the average room - if you are in to tub soaking and are more than a size 8, don't get your hopes up. The tub is oval and just seemed to squeeze me together. Only uncomfortable bath tub I've ever sat in. Shower was great. Completely sold me on getting one of those curved curtain rods!
Location - it was what I wanted - off the strip, near the freeways so I could get to everything I wanted. About a 10-15 minute drive to the strip directly down Flamingo, and note that one of the garages exits out on Flamingo. About 20 minutes to the Premium outlet mall (see review on that).
Bed wasn't the softest but I've been on much harder. Pillows were fine even though I still brought my own. They weren't hard pillows in the room I had. Seventh floor is non smoking but two guys I spoke with said their room must have been venting smoke in from somewhere as their stuff, and the pillows smelled smoky. I should have asked what room that was....for the smoke issue, of course...
View - overlooked one of the parking garages if you looked down. If you looked up/straight ahead, the view was of the mountains. I chose to look up.
Some areas on the main floor were smoky but the restaurants were fine.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank SpaVisitor3
Troutdale, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

Stayed in a king bed room overlooking the parking garage. Used soap and open shampoo bottle still in the bathtub from the previous guests ~ I should have complained. It did make me think that the tub had not been cleaned at all. Also a little ticked at the "hotel fee" of $4.50. A little steep on a $29.99 advertised room rate. Why not just add it to the rate?

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank GigiPearl
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

See the free water show both during the daytime and at night with the lights. They also salute our military personnel. Rooms are clean and spacious. And I can't say enough about the friendlyness of the staff: at the front desk, on the casino floor, in the restaurants, the room attendants. Everyone had a smile and readily not only answered your question, but if you were looking for some place, they actually walked along with you and visited along the way. It was quieter than the strip casinos

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loisletrvlr1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

My Heavens if anyone out there would love a great stay and lots of fun just go to Sams Town Hotel and Gambling, My experience there was so wonderful. It takes your breath away just to walk into the Atrium and see the water show and the animals, See the Waterfall and the Laser show. and relax as it all takes place, Just to see the animals as they have made them is exciting and truly quite an experience. Being in Las Vegas at the other Hotels I have come to love Sams Town the most and would rate anything from the Casino to the Rooms to the Food which is great and the Atrium as nothing but Excellent, Excellent. The Casino is so huge and you have your pick of any machine as there are so many. Thank You for making my stay in Las vegas such a memorial experience. I will be back for sure, and hopefully longer next time, Thank You Carolyn Rhindress-- Edmonton, Alberta Canada and Mary Alexander--- Cambridge Ontario We are sisters who were there together,

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank jellybeanalberta
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

This hotel was chosen because it was close to a family activity and the trip was short (2 days). It is many miles (and stop lights) from the strip. The rooms are small and very outdated -- tiny televisions, etc. They also are noisy from the free laser show that occurs many times per night. There is no internet access. The pool is small and mostly shaded. It is also in a dangerous neighborhood (I was advised by the bell man to get a newspaper from the front desk, as it was "safer" that going to a Walgreens a block away). The good points -- there is a 24 hour grill that has great food at very reasonable prices. Also, the pay scales on the video poker machines are far better than those at any strip casino. There is an ice cream parlor (although it closes early) and a modern multi-screen theater on site. If you avoid spending much time in your room, this hotel is a good deal.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends