“Surprise Fee but Good Overall”

The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas
Ranked #90 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Burleson, Texas
“Surprise Fee but Good Overall”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was by far the best hotel and casino in my opinion in downtown Las Vegas! The reviews I read prior to going were very deceiving so before you decide against booking at The D please know the entire hotel has been renovated so there are not anymore of the "old" rooms. Comfort is huge for me so I called ahead of time to find out if the mattresses were new and was told they were.

My experience was not perfect so before I give my praises, I'd like to point out the frustrations I experienced as well in hopes it helps The D improve.

1. The check in process was kind of irritating for some travelers in our party. My mother waited until after 4pm to get into her room and my father was tired and furious.

2. The "Resort fee" that I was charged after checking out was VERY irritating. I booked my room online and was told my dues had covered all hotel fee's. After checking out I noticed a charge to my credit card for over $120 worth of "Resort fee's". SO BE CAREFUL IF YOU BOOK THIS ONLINE AND IT SAYS YOU ARE PAID UP!!! THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY THIS SAME $20/DAY RESORT FEE.

3. The elevators take a while during peak hours so I used the stairs a lot. I found it inconvenient that the exit spits you out where the employees take breaks near the street. At night there is NO way I'd take the stairs by myself.

Now here are the good things :)

1. There is a stage right outside the casino so you dont have to go far to experience live music at night.

2. Loud upbeat music plays on the casino level all day every day- LOUD and I LOVE it! It could be 6am in the morning and as soon as I get to that floor I'd start dancing and smiling. No other casino/hotel downtown offered this same atmosphere. Some may complain but to me if you gripe about that you don't need to vacation in Vegas anymore.

3. The beds were very comfy, I never had a problem falling asleep. I slept in 2 different rooms during my stay- one on the stage side and one on the street side. Even though I could hear the band playing when I was on the stage side- it didnt prevent me from falling asleep.

4. Staff was very friendly

5. GREAT FOOD! We did not eat at the Andiamo Italian & Steakhouse but we did eat every day at the D Grill. The food was awesome, great breakfast, lunch, or dinner at good prices. Coney Island had yummy chili dogs & french fries! Last was Mcdonalds which was very convenient for cokes and small snacks when you didnt want a chili dog.

6. Payout was really good on slots. I did not play any table games at this casino but the slots paid very nicely. So nicely that we earned enough rewards to pay for a trip back to The D for free with NO resort fees.

We will return again to this hotel in March to celebrate Spring Break- looking forward to this trip and hope it's as good as the 1st experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BWoo84
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
We really appreciate the feedback from your stay and we are glad to hear you'll be joining us again soon! On your next visit, you'll have to try Andiamo, everything on the menu is phenomenal! If you could send us an email at social@thed.com, we would appreciate the opportunity to ask you a few questions regarding your stay. Thank you for the review and we hope to hear from you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Salem, OR
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We just returned from a three day vacation at the D. We rented 3 Double Queen rooms. They were all very clean and spacious. Due to our flight returning so late the last day they were very accommodating to late check out so do not be afraid to ask!

Check in was the fastest I had experienced in Las Vegas Hotels. Very efficient and no hassle.

The rooms were all non smoking and smelled nice. The air conditioner/heater/fan worked perfect. The bathrooms were clean and though not fancy, they were spacious which is really hard to find on Fremont.

The Casino was a lot of fun. The bartenders at the Long Bar were very nice and my son and I really enjoyed the morning Bloody Mary's with them. The music is quite loud in the casino and could actually be turned down just a notch but it did not deter me from playing there and I won more money on their floor playing slots than I have in any of the casinos so their slots appeared to be loose! *nice!*

I did not eat a meal there since we already have favorites from prior trips that we go to like the Hash a Go Go and the Bay City Diner at the Golden Gate. I did, however, get take out from McDonalds late night and they were fast and clean and completely OPPOSITE of the one in the Plaza! NEVER go to the one in the Plaza. You will be disappointed for sure.

The only reason why I did not give the D a 5 is because the last morning of our trip the housekeeping personnel literally bugged us non-stop beginning at 9:00 a.m. even though we had Do Not Disturb signs up and late checkout with the front desk. I told them four times that NO i was not ready to checkout and have late checkout but that did not stop the maid from opening my door and THEN knocking a 5th time at 11:00. She was lucky I was dressed. However, my daughter and her boyfriend were walked in on by this same lady (they were across the hall from us) and were COMPLETELY naked.

My husband did alert the front desk about this and they quickly apologized and comped one of the nights for that room.

Housekeeping personnel need to tighten up their customer service skills, but they are very efficient at cleaning. Our rooms were always kept nice.

Lastly, though the casino was extremely loud, we did not hear any noise at all once in our rooms. Our room faced the street behind Fremont so if you are looking for quiet try an upper floor and a rear facing room like we did.

You will not be disappointed in the D. We like to stay on Fremont and go twice a year for a couple of days. We have found a new favorite!

Thank you to the D for the great stay! We WILL return again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ike7101
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for the review! We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and check-in was a breeze! Congratulations on your winnings from playing slots and we're glad you had fun at the LONGBAR! We apologize for the issue you had with housekeeping, and we will be forwarding your situation to the Director of Housekeeping to ensure similar incidents do not happen again in the future. We appreciate the feedback and we're looking forward to your next visit!
Pasadena, Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The D is the place to be for a stress free gaming environment!! The best dealers in Vegas. A first class act when it comes to entertainment. Location downtown brings back the old charm of Vegas. The rooms and staff are awesome. The D offers the best food choices. Derrick and Nicole are the coolest true to form owners!!
Don Pressor #1 in his profession !!!! Will definitely be back every chance I get !!!!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Touchdr
We appreciate the kind words and we're glad you enjoyed your gambling experience with us! It's great to hear you found our staff to helpful and Don is a terrific host to have here at the D! Thank you for the review and we are looking forward to your next visit!
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The D was great. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly. The rooms were standard rooms- pretty and clean. If you are expecting the glitz and glamour of the hotels on the strip, then you will be disappointed. But if you are looking for a great place in the heart Fremont Street then this is the place for you! Don't miss the second floor- Vintage Vegas- where many machines still spit out coins! We ate at the D Grill which was very good. Check out The Scintas for an old school Vegas show that was very entertaining.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank H203
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us and we're glad you felt our staff was very welcoming and friendly! Our Vintage Vegas Casino is filled with coin-operated slots, including the very popular Sigma Derby horse racing game! We are happy you had a chance to check out The Scintas they are one talented group and always put on a fantastic performance! We appreciate the feedback and we're looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This place was the old Fitzgearld and has recently underwent significant renovations. The casino has pretty girls dancing and a 24-7 party type atmosphere where the dealers sing and dance to Pitbull and Lady Gaga while taking your money.

As for the rooms themselves, they have been redone with a fresh coat of paint and some extremely comfortable beds but ultimately still are just a bed, desk and basic shower. (A friend of mine was also staying here but in a suite, which are most impressive: three televisions, panoramic views, kitchen area, separate bedroom, fully remodeled shower that could fit at least 4 or 5, etc.)

While most of the staff is generally professional, my attempt to visit the hotel hot-tub was thwarted twice: the first because I did not have a towel on when walking through the casino (despite there being a sign in lodging bath area specifically commanding you NOT to take towels out of the room) and the second when my room key did not work at the pool gate. Furthermore, the pool area is quite modest - no more than 500 square feet at most - and indicative of a working-class apartment complex. Should you decide to bother with the wet-area, do so early, as the pool (like most Las Vegas hotels) closes at 7 PM!

Other cheers include the casino being just a short walk from any point in the hotel and a variety of eateries while another jeer would be the noise: I heard the couple fighting all night long in the room next to me and was awoke to the male in last night's equation yelling, "GOOD MORNING, LAS VEGAS, LOOK AT MY D*CK - WHOO!"

Room Tip: If you can afford it, pop the upgrade fee and get yourself a suite - it is on par with the 4 and 5 s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Charles S
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay! We are still planning on updating parts of the hotel further, and the pool is on the short list! We’re pleased to hear you had the chance to check out the different dining options we have here as well as our newly remodeled suites. They are definitely worth the upgrade! We appreciate the feedback and hope you’ll join us again soon on your next trip to Vegas!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My cousin was getting married at MEET Las Vegas which is across the street from the hotel, so everyone that was from out of town stayed there. Our families usually stays on the Strip when we visit Vegas mainly because the hotels are more newer but because of the renovations and the conveniecy to the wedding location, we booked this hotel.

First of all, the casino is small. I guess the hotel is gearing the 1st floor casino more to the under 40 crowd with blaring music and ladies dancing on top of tables. I liked the music but in a such small place, it became distracting. In addition, I guess they didn't pay that much attention to the ventilation system during the renovations because the casino was smoky. There's also not enough servers, it took forever to flag one down!

Second, there's not enough parking for people during the weekend! The parking structure only had 10 small floors with the bottom 6 floors dedicated to valet and the 7-10 floors were for hotel guest and non-guest($2 an hour). I had to call the front desk that there wasn't any parking left on the 7-10 floor, so they said to park in the valet spots. Don't bother telling the front desk that you park there because apparently they don't care and its not part of the hotel. They said to tell the valet.....really?! We are parking in YOUR HOTEL parking structure!

Lastly, the hotel decor is very contemporary. The rooms were spacious and clean. The one thing I did not like about the room was that the AC/heater was at the very corner of the room and barely a foot away from the second bed. I had to turn it off in the middle of the night because the air was just too close to me. Also, the bathroom shower did not have enough water pressure, it took me forever just to wash my hair.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Majajing
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We always offer complimentary valet service for our guests, but when the garage is full and a guest still wishes to self-park their car, we encourage them to park in a spot marked valet, and then let valet know the location of the car. Valet is who should be informed when self-parking in one of their spots, which is why the front desk encouraged you to contact them. We do appreciate the review and will be taking your feedback into consideration.
Clear Lake Shores, Texas
Reviewed 19 February 2014

A big shout out to Don Presser and The D Casino for making our trip the best ever! Service was excellent, rooms very clean, all staff were very friendly. The restaurants were great! In the middle of old Vegas on Fremont street is a very unique experience and The D does it right! Can't wait to get back to The D!

Thanks again Don, Darrin, Drew, Dereck, Bobby! Ducky Do Do Doo!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Steve M
Thanks for sharing photos from your trip! It's great to hear that from the restaurants, to the rooms, to the staff, everything was excellent! Don is a fantastic host to have here, he really goes the extra mile for his guests! We appreciate the review and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon!