“good location but not impressed”

Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino
Ranked #61 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The location was great. You are connected to all the shops & restaurants and it is a very quick walk across to a few hotels. Nice having a Walgreens close by to buy water & extras. I was not impressed by the hotel itself. The line to check in was crazy & I get it was a busy weekend but honestly to check in 2 hours early they charge $15. I do A LOT of traveling & have never been charged to check in early. If they have rooms available & we have already paid a pricey nights charge why nickel and dime us. They also have a resort fee of $20 per day that I didn’t realize. Most of the newer hotels have the resort fee but I was surprised at this location they did. So all the minor charges is whatever but now we get to our room & it smells terrible. I couldn’t figure out if the smell was from the AC unit or maybe the last persons left over body odor stank. Then we use the restroom & the toilet is plugged. Not a good first impression for sure and luckily the maid was in the hall to get it all fixed. The room has a small safe, general amenities but NO small refrigerator and no drawers or cabinet space in the bathroom. The towels were like sand paper people. Over 200 bucks a night hotel I expect the towels to at least be somewhat soft. I have stayed at the PH Towers that are a bit newer & really enjoyed the stay there so I expected a bit more and I was disappointed. The beds are just good enough. They are not super plush but they served the purpose for sleeping. The adult pool party was nice. I was glad they didn’t charge extra for that & they allow you to take in water. They have a DJ, games and a few contests going on. Ladies all walks of life at this pool party don’t worry about being all dressed up for this one. Your target bathing suit will do here. Most of the big name pool party’s you need heals, nice hair, nice cover up, earrings, & a swanky bikini. But not at this pool for the first time in Vegas I felt over done up LOL. We had a great time but this pool is not the pool you relax at - lots of loud music and people drinking so if that is not your scene this is not the pool for you. We had some friends staying at the Cosmo and it was so close we were able to enjoy their pool that was definitely classier. All in all I would say for the price in Vegas you can do much better with all the other hotel choices. If you can care less about the hotel & location is key then this place will be just fine for you.
So upon check out I was not even asked how my stay was. We were barley acknowledged so I didn’t complain about our check in issues but I doubt it would have mattered since customer service does not seem to be a priority at this hotel. If you are going to spend a chunk of change on your room the Vdahra has a great set up in their rooms, the Cosmo rooms are a little pricier but very nice and they have great balcony’s, the PH Towers are better, and Aria is also a nice hotel all right in the same location. I have stayed at them all & would say that for virtually the same expense you will have better accommodations, amenities & service.

Room Tip: This hotel I would not recomend for those taveling with kids.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (21,973)

Reviewed 28 May 2013

we stayed at planet hollywood for 4 nights found nothing wrong with it good position for the strip staff very friendly i cant understand anybody wrighting bad reviews.we have stayed in some good hotels all over the world

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Not even sure where to start. I have always been a big fan of Planet Hollywood and love the location. However, I won't be going back.

Room
I was placed near the elevators so I requested a room changed since I am a light sleeper and the feedback on this forum warned against elevator noise. I was then moved to a non-smoking room that reeked of cigarette smoke. Third change was better but overall all the rooms looked very run down. The showers and sinks were all slow to drain so standing in 3 inches of shower water was not fun (an issue in both of our rooms).

Resort Fees/Internet
The $20/night resort fee covered internet access but we could never get a signal strong enough to use it.

The lines to check-in were very long. Don't even think about the self-park option. The self-park lot is about a half mile from the hotel and you have to walk through the entire mall. Our key card quit working twice during our 4 day stay so we had to go down and deal with the crowds in the lobby again and again.

Noise
On one of the nights there was a concert somewhere close by that went until 1:00 am. Since we were on the strip side it felt like they were two doors down so it was impossible to sleep until it stopped.

With so many options on the strip we won't be going back.

Room Tip: Beware of concert noise on the west side.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank riverrun50
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The casinos clean and up to date, the buffet is excellent, much better than the MGM and, on par with the Belagio I'd say.
The rooms are dated as are the hallway carpets, with the money they make you'd think they'd spruce up now and then.
The main reason for not going back is the staff, 90% are helpful, polite. I managed to meet the other 10% who were rude, muppets I wanted to drag over the counter.
For what you pay you can get better elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We booked this trip midweek from Hotelstonight app, please use my promo code for $40 credit "RGarrett10" . Any who we got it for $29 and we got a free upgrade on check in to a street side view it was very lovely and the room was giant! It had a huge bathroom with a walking shower with a bench plus a deep bath on the side. King size bed, no fridge. the pools were nice, two giant ones, only thing is I do not understand why the pools in Vegas close 6-8pm? makes no sense. I will look to come back many times. Many foods and entertainment in this casino and located dead in the middle of the action! Bed and pillows super comfy! Check out is at 11am

1  Thank Robert G
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Well, we only stayed here one night after visiting national parks in Utah. We wanted to stay on the strip our last night before flying out. I used Travelocity to book this and it was one of those "best rate" surprise hotels. Boy was it a surprise...

It took us 50 minutes to check-in (only 2 people working the front desk on a Saturday afternoon on a holiday weekend). After finally getting to go to our room, we walked off the elevator on the 18th floor to the most dark and gloomy hotel I have ever been in. The room was also very dark with a tiny window that overlooked the roof of another building. The room had disgustingly dirty carpet, black worn furniture, and the bathroom had mildew and hair everywhere.

The bed was okay, but the pillows were awful. It is also hard to sleep when young people are yelling and screaming in the hallways at 3:00 - 4:00 am. I was also surprised that this hotel did not have security for the elevators. Anyone could wonder off the street and go up to the rooms.

If you don't mind lots of young people 21-25 drunk everywhere and don't mind an old dirty hotel, then this place is for you!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We've stayed here twice and are staying here again this coming October. Lets be honest, a lot of the hotels on the strip are much of a muchness, all 4-5 star with more amenities than you could ever need.
We choose PH because it has a younger vibe than some of the others, it is reasonably priced and is in a prime location. Right across the road from the Bellagio and the new city centre, next door to Paris.
The casino is good, I'd say average size for the strip. The theme of some of it is "pleasure pit" with barely clothed-ladies dancing on the tables - its Vegas, anything goes!
The check in lines have never been long, we've managed to score a free upgrade both times we've been (read up on the $20 sandwich trick). Staff are generally courteous and knowledgeable. The rooms are pretty standard, the larger rooms are worth the extra money because you do get some much more space. There is usually some movie memorabilia in the room as well which can be pretty cool. The beds are enormous, comfy seats and a nice big TV!
As I said earlier, there is generally a younger crowd at PH, compared to Bellagio or the Mirage, it just feels a bit cooler in there.
We saw Peepshow with Holly Madison when we were there last time which was a really enjoyable show, and I also hear the the new Britney Spears residency will be at PH. Other ameneties that we like there are Starbucks, PF Changs, Pinks Hot Dogs (yum), right outside and also there are the Miracle Mile shops which are great and have plenty of restaurants.
We've never actually used the pool so I can't comment on that, I have seen pictures though and I believe it is on the 5-6th floor which is pretty cool. Generally a pool is a pool, but I don't think it is as good as the decor at the Mirage or the lazy river at Monte Carlo.
Finally, the price is very reasonable, usually on a par with TI or NYNY and I have found that the best rates can be found by going through the website direct. Although do some reasearch and I'm sure you'll find a discount code for pretty much any time of year.

Room Tip: Google the $20 sandwhich trick for great Vegas hotel room upgrades. Consider it the first gamble of...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple