“All that and a bag of chips”

Arizona Charlie's Boulder Casino Hotel
Ranked #162 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 16 July 2007

Arizona Charlies is a small casino on Boulder highway. We ( a family of 5 with two teens) stayed 4 nights here for a BMX race at Southpoint .

The location, off the 215 at flamingo, was easy enough to access for all of Las Vegas. Access to a vehicle is a must, esp. in the summer. The temp. was triple digit teens the whole time we we there. A few large Casinos are nearby but everything is a drive.

The Rooms- They are as the other reviews state; nothing fancy.We rented two King Double suites. Two rooms,Two beds, T.V.'s couch,table and ample storage for clothes. We kept Three bicycles in one suite with room to spare. The corner suite was a little bigger. And the sink in the room was funky. I tried to be critical of everything knowing that I would write a review, and really could'nt find anything wrong. No mystery stains, comfy beds and sanitary toilets. Tokeing housekeeping got fresh towels. We paid rack rates , thur arrival and Mon. departure and it came to $400 total for both rooms! Such a deal. If you're a family traveling on a budget, this is a very good value for your hard earned cash.

The Casino- Plenty of Penny and Nickle machines. Lots of video poker and keno. Most are older (1 or 2 years) It was never crowded, and finding a machine was pretty easy. A small but decent Race and sports book. It closed early though, so if you like to play Harness, go to Sams Town down the street. Bingo can be had 24-7. We played a few times. Games called rather quick Payouts were good. Table games were small and a seat could be found even at peak times. Only two crap tables. Lounge act was rather silly but better than the drone of slots. No live Keno. Not too smokey. Lots of locals.

The food- Basic eats. The Buffet was inexpensive, Hot food, Fresh and plenty of it. We ate at least one of our meals of the day there and everyone walked away full, even the picky teens. Same for the 24 hr.Sourdough Cafe. Try their Strawberry shortcake. If you eat the whole thing and get sick, it's your fault.

The Staff- I did'nt find a single Grouch. Everyone was happy and helpful. A rare thing indeed.

Overall- Because the Hotel is separate from the Casino, One must walk outside to and fro. This creates the problem of walking around at all hours with large sums of cash in hand. the staff has provided Armed Security Guards on bicycles roaming the property. I saw no less than three in one morning while throwing all the equipment in the truck. I felt safe at all times, and that's not an easy thing for me.
Because the rates are so reasonable, There were quite a few traveling workers here.They work long hours and just want to sleep when they get back. Our rooms were on the ground level, and I did not hear unneccesary noise from abouve, although the kids did in their room.
There are valid reasons not to stay here, But for us, it fit well and We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank fishinful

Reviewed 15 June 2007

The only reason we stayed here was: We had a large group, and a lot of hotels were booked due to NASCAR weekend or totally over priced.

This place is scary! There are scary locals creepy around the casino. Hold onto your purses! Seen some gang bangers lurking around the hotel. Thank god for the security guards riding their bikes around...but they were on the weird side as well.

Maid service came in and made our beds even though we had the "do not disturb sign" on the door. I wasn't very happy about this considering I thought I made my bed just fine and I don't want strangers in my room. A guy staying down the hall said when he got out of the shower there were 2 security guards standing in his room. He asked them what they wanted and they said they thought they smelled smoke then walked out.??Weird!

We spent soooo much money taking taxies to the strip from Arizona Charlies. This is when we were lucky to have a taxi come by. NO TAXIES COME BY AZC!!!! You have to walk WAY up the road to another casino, soooo girls wear comfortable shoes!

Hell hole! Don't do it!

4  Thank meowers1
Reviewed 23 May 2007

Well we just needed a place to stay as we were visiting family in the area. We had no intrest in the casino so the fact that it was not close to our room was ok. The eating cafe was ok, nothing fancy. Smoke is the smell of everything in the casino areas. The room was ok, clean enough for the price. The area is not safe. There was a fight in the parking lot one night but security was there to break it up fast. The noise was high as many that use this hotel are workers in the area. Police activity is very high in this area as well as drunks, bums, and pimps looking for activity. If you stay in your room after 10 and pile stuff in front of the door to feel safe this is your place to stay. The staff was ok but you have to ask for everything you want such as hair dryers and coffee pots. I would guess many walk off the grounds. Don't be fooled by the good price. This is a beware place. It is erie and I would not go there again if it was the last place on earth. I shook in my pants every night. If you are looking for a family hotel try the chain hotels, much better areas and even the higher price is worth it. Better safe then sorry. Unhappy Camper

• Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank blondetogray
Reviewed 16 May 2007

First of all, remember that you aren't staying on the Las Vegas Strip. If you are staying on the Boulder Strip, your focus should be cheap gambling and cheap hotel rooms - because that's what you'll get. That is what I was looking for and Arizona Charlie's delivered. The hotel was cheap, but clean. The dealers were friendly. They had $3 craps, $5 paigow, and $5 blackjack. My husband and I were looking for a place to gamble where we weren't going to spend $200 a night to stay at the hotel and that's what we got.

Also, while we were there, the bar at Charlie's had a band that was a lot of fun and added to the overall gambling experience.

Don't expect a huge casino or luxury rooms - it's basic. I wouldn't recommend the buffet there and you should totally get a car so you can visit Boulder Station and Sam's.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank STL_Momof2
Reviewed 30 March 2007

The good news is that it was a two room suite, near a very nice pool area and just across the driveway from the casino.

The room was tired, could use some upgrading.

If you aren't paying too much, it isn't terrible for a few nights.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank on-the-journey
Reviewed 14 February 2007

Booked and prepaid my reservations via Expedia. From the website, I thought the hotel was part of the casino. It's not. It is a seperate building and looks exactly like the other cheap motels along the Boulder Highway.

Check in was inside the casino, by the gift shop. Because I prepaid the room, I didn't want to put down a credit card. Instead I was forced to pay $35. in case I "lifted something from the room". The next morning, I had to get my deposit back. By the time they made up the room, I would have been long gone. Don't understand this policy at all. Both check-in and check-out personnel were indifferent. Both tried to sign me up for their "player's club" card.

The rooms were suppose to be "suites", bywhich, you had to seperate rooms. Although spacious, they were both small and sparse. The bathroom was tiny and difficult to use.

Both Expedia and the Casino should clearly state that this is a motel and not a hotel by any means of the word. Also, their check-in policy should be made clear at the time of booking.

Would not stay at this location again, only because there are other motels on the Boulder Highway just like it.

• Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank bjaysfan21
Reviewed 9 January 2007

There were LOTS of ANTS on sink. We have to kill them all before brush our teeth. The bed sheets smells a bit, you can hear voices from other rooms, the parking lot is ALWAYS FULL, some people take 2 spaces for one car, the security was there but didn't say anything.
However, the front desk was friendly, the housekeeping too. It's not too far fron the strips, the price is reasonable. We would probably stay there again but will request a room without ants =)

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family