The California is mid-sized property, nostalgic and a very nice throwback to the 50's and the pulse of Old Vegas. We stayed here for 4 weekday nights while attending a conference comprised of 250 people. The group package/rate we received was an INCREDIBLE DEAL including room and 3 meals daily. I just could not believe the value considering we were in Las Vegas.
LOCATION- Great, in Old Vegas within walking distance to The Mob Museum (which is worth a visit), Container Park, Freemont Street and a Walgreen's. This is off of Freemont St. which tends to be crowded, busy and noisy. It is also located within a mile cab ride to The Premium Outlet outdoor mall which has a great selection of moderate and upscale designer discount stores. The new Strip is about a $30 cab ride.
STAFF- Very nice and helpful. There is a Concierge Desk and valet parking
ROOM-Your average hotel room - very clean and adequately sized. We stayed in the newer wing.
FOOD- Just barely average. Food is mass produced so laden with lots of sodium and bottled sauces. The package we received allowed us to eat at multiple partner hotels such as Main Street and The Paradis. I found the dining options at Main Street much nicer in terms of ambiance and food quality. Go to 777 restaurant (got a great Cobb salad there) and the buffet dining room at Main Street which is connected to The California.
I must add, the coffee at the California was so tasteless and watered down. There is a Crispy Cream on the Mezzanine or a Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts (in a hotel casino) on Freemont St.
CASINO-I do not really gamble, but it appeared as though there were a variety of machines, games and tables. I was told the minimums were pretty reasonable.
Overall, I enjoyed our stay here, especially the $ value which allowed me extra money to go see some shows, eat at some upscale restaurants and go shopping. For accommodations other than your large national chains and off the Strip, I would definitely recommend The California. If you are looking to "see and be seen," then you should head up to The Strip. If you seek comfortable, clean and unobtrusive environment, then this is a great place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in historic downtown Las Vegas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TravelUp, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your California Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- California Las Vegas
- California Hotel Las Vegas
- California Hotel & Casino Las Vegas