“Very Comfortable and Great Value”

California Hotel & Casino
Ranked #94 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Palm Beach, Florida
“Very Comfortable and Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

The California is mid-sized property, nostalgic and a very nice throwback to the 50's and the pulse of Old Vegas. We stayed here for 4 weekday nights while attending a conference comprised of 250 people. The group package/rate we received was an INCREDIBLE DEAL including room and 3 meals daily. I just could not believe the value considering we were in Las Vegas.

LOCATION- Great, in Old Vegas within walking distance to The Mob Museum (which is worth a visit), Container Park, Freemont Street and a Walgreen's. This is off of Freemont St. which tends to be crowded, busy and noisy. It is also located within a mile cab ride to The Premium Outlet outdoor mall which has a great selection of moderate and upscale designer discount stores. The new Strip is about a $30 cab ride.

STAFF- Very nice and helpful. There is a Concierge Desk and valet parking

ROOM-Your average hotel room - very clean and adequately sized. We stayed in the newer wing.

FOOD- Just barely average. Food is mass produced so laden with lots of sodium and bottled sauces. The package we received allowed us to eat at multiple partner hotels such as Main Street and The Paradis. I found the dining options at Main Street much nicer in terms of ambiance and food quality. Go to 777 restaurant (got a great Cobb salad there) and the buffet dining room at Main Street which is connected to The California.

I must add, the coffee at the California was so tasteless and watered down. There is a Crispy Cream on the Mezzanine or a Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts (in a hotel casino) on Freemont St.

CASINO-I do not really gamble, but it appeared as though there were a variety of machines, games and tables. I was told the minimums were pretty reasonable.

Overall, I enjoyed our stay here, especially the $ value which allowed me extra money to go see some shows, eat at some upscale restaurants and go shopping. For accommodations other than your large national chains and off the Strip, I would definitely recommend The California. If you are looking to "see and be seen," then you should head up to The Strip. If you seek comfortable, clean and unobtrusive environment, then this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank IMHO X

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Bradenton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

my mother and I took a trip to las vegas again for at least the 30th time. we are from florida and we go to vegas at least once a year and sometimes more. we always stayed at the horseshoe in downtown las vegas till they got taken over by the irs and lost the hotel part. then we went between the fitzgeralds to 4 queens to the plaza and now the California. I want you to all know how important this trip is to my 84 yr old mother and I we save all year round for this trip and we also buy clothes jewelry etc all year for this one week trip. the last few years we have stayed at the california hotel and casino as they give us some good comps this year was the best ever we got 4 nights and coupon books for food. I got my stay at the plaza for four night and stayed there for first 4 nights and my mother stayed at the California. we had room 1948 very nice room high up and facing the main street casino nice view and nice room. large and very comfortable 2 beds. very nice. course we spend little time in a room but I have to say this one was a good room only problem is it is the last one in the hallway which is quite a marathon to walk and at 84 found it strange they would do this to her. she ate at the California four days in a row breakfast lunch and dinner and I then got my four days at the California starting on sat. she checked out on Friday and was going to another place downtown. on Friday after lunch she called and needed help so I checked out of the plaza and found she was violently sick. I suspected food poisoning and knowing she only ate at one place the entire trip went down and reported to the restaurant that she might have food poisoning. they thanked me for the info but pretty much ignored me. now I checked in on Saturday and was sent to the other side of the building in a different tower never been there before. all low numbers and much smaller rooms and you get to look at an alley nothing nice to report about this room at all two beds a refrig wouldn't shut as it was shoved into a space that was too small, drawers opened by themselves light coming in around the door at night too warm and early am awakened by delivery trucks this is where we stayed I ate in the rest, and we both ended in the hospital with food borne illness. at the hospital well known fact if you eat at the California buffet you will be visiting the hospital.....

Room Tip: you definitely want to be in the higher up rooms and on the plus side for a view and remember the re...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank brendacole11
Cerritos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

This hotel feels like "home"......the dealers and cocktail waitresses are very friendly...I only sleep, shower and watch TV (when my luck is down) in the room...food is great...I love making a weekend trip there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Howroid
Mililani Town, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The California Hotel is caters to Hawaii visitors. In fact it is almost impossible us to visit Las Vegas and NOT see someone you know there. It is an older hotel in Downtown Las Vegas, but is very close to the Freemont Experience. Lots of Aloha there. Market Street Cafe serves a great oxtail soup. The rooms are average, but who comes to Vegas to be in the hotel room?

Room Tip: For families you can get connecting rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Laid back and friendly. Rooms could use an update, but they were still clean and comfortable. Best food around. If you are from Hawaii, this is where all the locals go when in Vegas. Try the malasadas for breakfast and the ox tail soup at night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dialygal
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We booked the California (the Cal.), based on location ( close to Freemont & express bus to the Strip) & price and the good TA reviews. We were satisfied for the most part but had to call the front desk, every second day, because of no hot water. The maintenance people would come right away and mysteriously ..."presto" we had hot water. Towards the end of our stay all we had to do was call. They said they didn't know what the problem was! The 3rd elevator quit working, the 2nd week of our stay and the waits were much longer, at times. Don't pickup the shower mat in the Tub; No one has cleaned under it for a very long time!

Internet was an additional $10.00 / day which we didn't pay. Wireless was readily available in the lobby & restaurants of The Plaza & the Grand hotels nearby.

You really don't want to eat at the Cal. as food was mediocre unless you like volume, then the Buffets at the connected by a walkway, sister Hotel, Main Street Station, are reasonable. Our price varied from $27.20 to $125.00 plus tax, usd/ night, likely do to a big Construction industry convention in town, but no Resort fees (I guess not) like so many other places charge. Having come from Canada, mainly for the weather I was disappointed to find the pool area closed. There was nowhere close by to go and sit and just read a book outside! In fact it's hard to find a place to sit outside anywhere in Vegas, except on the patio of the few restaurants and bars that have them. The Flamingo's beautiful gardens were a welcome exception to this! I assume they want you in the Casinos, loosing your money!

I now think the nicest Casino/ Hotel on Freemont is the Golden Nugget and they will let visitors sit in their beautiful Pool area. If you go there don't miss The Gordie Brown show, $35 with a $20 Buffet dinner included! He's fantastic!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GaryReg
Aveley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

stayed over the presidents weekend and got the room for $$$$ peanuts massive bed and quite room and clean what more do you want free parking with validation but must pay $5 when entering the parking lot.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple