“DA 9TH ISLAND HOTEL”

Ranked #88 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Nevada
“DA 9TH ISLAND HOTEL”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Very very island style kine place fo stay.
Da only kine hotel wea haw'n kine locals stay like, dey stay in hawaii.
Da rooms stay decent and comfortable.
No stay too pricey.
Dey git da best local style place fo grinds, upstairs - mezzanine @ da Aloha Specialties restaurant owned by da kine Yamagata clan frum da big island!

Room Tip: Make da kine reservations mo early.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank fijibowler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Los Angeles CA
Reviewed 1 June 2014

For the last night of a 5 night Cinco de Mayo "weekend" Vegas, visit, I chose to stay here for the first time. It was also my first stay downtown since childhood. Vegas is known as the 9th Hawaiian island, and this hotel seems to be ground zero. I came mostly for the Hawaiian food (recommended by my Hawaiian cousin), but also for the downtown experience.

For a weeknight stay, this place was dirt-cheap, less than $50, great news after overexerting myself (twice) at the nearby outlet mall. I self-parked in the hotel's small structure, which is free for guests (you are given a parking pass). Almost every hotel employee and guest could pass for Hawaiian, either by appearance or accent. Check-in was quick and friendly, as were pretty much all hotel staff and even most guests. My room was in the west wing, which looks newer and is closer to the restaurants. After dropping off my things in the room, I headed straight to the famous Aloha Specialties restaurant on the mezzanine level, trying to avoid the lunch-time crush. I ended up eating here 3 times. More on this dining mecca later.

The hotel is located a block off Fremont St., so you are a bit away from the chaos and noise. I think the hotel's been around awhile, but it is decently maintained, friendly, no-frills, smoky. The room was also no-frills, as expected, motel-level. There was, however, a mini-fridge to hold drinks and my mac salad and haupia dessert from Aloha Specialties. Wifi, alas, is $10 daily. There is a pool on the 3rd floor, but it was locked and looked small. My room faced west towards the connected Main Street Hotel and Casino. Rooms that face inward look onto the adjacent wing. The surrounding area is a bit downtrodden and at times desolate.

Back to Aloha Specialties. They serve a variety of Hawaiian classics, often plate-lunch style. Portions are generous. You place your order with the cashier and your food is brought to you. You get your own water. Cash only. There is indoor and "outdoor" seating. Everything I had was delish.

Other restaurants in the hotel also have Hawaiian offerings, including the California Club snack bar, which serves Zippy's chili. The Market Street Cafe famously serves oxtail soup from 11pm to 9am which I would like to try one day. There is a Lappert's Ice Cream Shop on the mezzanine across from Aloha that serves several Hawaiian flavours, plus shave ice and Krispy Kreme doughnuts. There is a covered bridge to the Main Street Hotel and Casino. Here, there is a nice-looking and inexpensive buffet that I also would like to one day try.

As for the Fremont Street experience, it is like concentrating all of the Vegas Strip into a 3-block length. It's colourful, crazy, loud, and classic, with lots of old-time Vegas neon and flashing lights. Indeed, a bit further east on Fremont, refurbished classic neon signs are positioned in the middle of the street. There are also some on north Las Vegas Blvd., continuing up to the Las Vegas Neon Museum, itself housed in the restored La Concha Motel lobby. Also on East Fremont, past the El Cortez, is unique, whimsical Container Park, a shopping/entertainment area made out of shipping containers.

This downtown stay was great fun. It's certainly less luxurious that the Strip, but it has far more old Vegas vibe. The Golden Nugget is probably the fanciest hotel here, but even that has classic parts. Staying here is cheaper, makes it much more convenient to eat at Aloha Specialties, and you are closer to the outlet mall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Lihue, Hawaii
Reviewed 28 May 2014

On my recent trip to Vegas I visited this hotel. I used to stay there but it was so stinky and dirty so I was surprised this time that it smelled ok and looked cleaner. It's about time! I think they put in a humidifier with a scent but whatever it smelled a lot better then in the past.

2 Thank keahe
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Nothing is great about this casino.
And if you stay in this hotel they charge you 10$ for WIFI.
10$ /day for WIFi in this 21 century!
Actually this company( Beconnected)'s hotels all has the same policy.
Fremont, California, Mainstrem station and Gold coast.
So you better avoid these hotels if you want to use internet before you go to bed.

Room Tip: I was almost about to reserve this hotel caz it was good price,,,but Bconnected chain has bad servic...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Maguder D
Lapis267
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This time I visited with my two sisters that had never been to Vegas; what fun! They loved "The Cal" as much as I do, it was immaculate with the same wonderful service I always experience. The staff is friendly and helpful. The highlight was when we were leaving and needed directions to Oatman (to see and feed the burrows & shops), the concierge had a wonderful (hand made) map for our directions. There seems never to be a problem at The Cal that they can't handle. It's my place to stay in Vegas and I hope you like it as much as I do.

Room Tip: All the rooms I've stayed in are clean and pretty; however, if you like to get down to the casin...
5 Thank Di S
Maple Ridge, BC
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel has good rates and is fairly nice and the restaurants are a great value given the quality and price. The major downfall is the pool. I had been there before and knew that the pool wasn't much. I didn't know that they would shut it down if they have 15 mph winds. Part of my Las Vegas holiday is relaxing by the pool. Closing a pool for moderate winds without lightning is not a safety issue its a guest services issue. It is just something which makes no sense and makes you wonder if customer service is a priority. I think they figure if your by the pool you are not gambling so why bother

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank DGM1
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My mother and I decided to get away from L.A. for Mother's Day weekend. Friday night and we don't know were to stay. We decided we wanted the Downtown Las Vegas experience and we decided on the Cal. So glad we did. Called last minute (it was 8:45pm) crossing my fingers and hopeing they had rooms available. They surely did! We arrived after 1am (since we drove up from L.A) and the front Desk representative (sorry I forgot her name) was so pleseant and nice! She apologized for me forgetting to ask for a non smoking room. They were pretty booked up and none was available so we took the smoking room. To our surprised, when we walked in to the room, there was hardly and smoke odor! AWESOME!!!! Although the rooms are a little dated, they are CLEAN! Great Job CAL housekeeping staff. We had a great night sleep. Hardly any noise to disturb our sleep and woke up refreshed and ready to play! I regret not getting my players card because I did do some playing here and I know that in order to be eligible for great discounts and comps your players card must be used, but either way the price was great and i'm sure i'll get a chance to rack up the points next time because I surely will stay here again! THanks Cal for a great mini vacation! See you guys hopefully soon!

2 Thank C_Marce