“My Non Stay at Candlewood Suites Las Vegas”

Candlewood Suites Las Vegas
Ranked #77 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
DENVER
“My Non Stay at Candlewood Suites Las Vegas”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2007

Ok, here goes. January 2nd, 2007!!! I was sent to Vegas to assist a major Retail store. All of this was booked through their corporate website. When I arrived in Vegas, I went to go check in and was politely told that my credit card had been declined. I asked how much they were pre-authorizing and they told me that it was $316.40. (3 nights stay). I then told them that I did not have that much on any of my credit cards but would be more than happy to pay cash right then and there. No. "Without the credit card being charged, how would we know that the company reserved the room and I wasn't trying to get a discount?" "WHAT? Are you kidding me? I'm in Vegas and you don't accept CASH?" Not only did I HAVE to have $316.40 on my credit card, they would hold the funds for up to 10 days and when I checked out, I could pay cash if necessary. So, they are going to hold my credit card hostage and at the end of 3 days, I would pay them cash. Total outlay of $632.80 for 10 days with a refund of $316.40 in 7 more days. No thanks. I came back later that night, a little calmer and just wanted the room. I was then told that my reservation had been cancelled and that they would not rent a room without a credit card WITH $316.40 in funds. I was told that, "You could go to a lesser hotel that accepts cash - La Quinta next door." Never, ever, EVER will I stay at this hotel and I will recommend to any and all credit strapped travelers to avoid this place. In addition, I will recommend to the company that I work for never to reserve this hotel. Sorry that I didn't have anything good to write about this place. By the way...I'm sitting in my room at La Quinta typing this. La quinta isn't that bad. AND for $10.00 less, what more do I need? Have a great time, just not at Candlewood Suites, Las Vegas.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Have a credit card with a minimum of $$$$ available for use!!!
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
12 Thank MarioTheGreat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2006

We stayed 4 nights at the Candlewood Suites using Priority Club rewards. We were delighted to avoid paying $200, $300, $400 a night at a Strip hotel (the Stones, Prince, and the air show were all scheduled that weekend). Had never stayed at a Candlewood before, so was not sure what to expect. What we got was: Efficient check-in, very clean room, quiet location (4th floor), nice kitchenette (we used the microwave, fridge, and sink), decent bed and pillows, good cable channels (including 2 or 3 HBO's and Fox news), black-out curtains.

Popcorn (free) is in the room and a coupon for a free soda was in our key envelope. The Cupboard is handy (but could have used a small packet of cough drops). Love that the Cupboard, along with laundry, is on the honor system. The a/c and heat worked fine, although it's the typical wall unit (i.e., a little loud but not a problem). The hallways, elevators, and outside premises were well taken care of. Area is fine; Starbucks is just across the street. It's near several nice restaurants (Bahama Breeze, Buca di Beppo, etc.).

This is a perfect, reasonable, and safe place to stay for business - or if you don't have to stay on the strip (we come to Vegas once or twice a year, so it doesn't really matter any more where we stay). The only advice I'd give is to make sure you know the most expedient place to park and then get to your room (a little diagram of the place would be helpful, but was not given at check-in).

We had no trouble getting around (rental car); location is convenient (just down Flamingo to Paradise). It's a quick walk to Terrible's Casino. Probably wouldn't walk to Hard Rock or the Strip, but could if more motivated!

• Liked — We stayed for free, using Priority Club points, but the facility was much better than "free".
  • Disliked — Trying to find our room - i.e., the most expedient place to park, door to go in, elevator to use.
  • Tips/Secrets — This place could save you hundreds of dollars, especially on weekends.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank goseedo
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2006

My husband and I have stayed here twice now, because it is the best value for a weekend in Las Vegas.

In my experience if you want to visit Vegas on a weekend the prices go sky high. Many of the hotels on the strip are $275 -$500 /night.

The Candlewood Suites, are basic, clean, friendly accommodations. Most importantly they are safe, and quiet and off the strip. It is nice to have downtime, away from the strip.
It feels homey and cozy.

In my opinion when you come to Vegas you don't come to relax in your hotel room, you come to enjoy the city, shows, clubs and night life. The only time we were in our room, was basically a couple hours in the morning and an hour before bedtime.

The beds seem a little small, but other than that it had a very cozy feeling. I was not too pleased with their soaps, and shampoos, but I always bring my own anyway.

In some cities it is important to invest in a great luxurious, expensive hotel, Vegas is not one of those cities. Parking is free at all the hotels and casinos so every morning after we woke up and got ready and had our breakfast we drove to a particular casino for their shows, gambling and fun etc. Then at night we would come back and enjoy our free popcorn and soda in bed with a free movie that they offer at the front desk.

As long as they stay safe, clean, affordable and efficient we will keep coming back.

I am not sure if this is the best deal during the week, I know during the week the prices on the Strip hotels are competitive, but I do know it's the best deal for weekends.

Stayed October 2006
8 Thank hotel2006av
suluu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2006

We stayed here so we could combine business with pleasure, making sure it was suitable for work. It was!

PERKS:
- we got an excellent price for the weekend, right off the hotel's website
- free internet in your room, good workspace, quiet
- mini kitchen, microwave, utensils, and full-size fridge- free snacks in your room: microwave popcorn, coffee (nice touch)
- great cable channels including food network, hgtv, hbo
- they have the Candlewood Cupboard - where you have a coupon for a free drink, and can go grab any snacks or drinks, using the honor system or filling out a charge slip
- pool
- clean room, nice size (we stayed in the studio suite)
- great location, 1 mile from strip on Paradise/Flamingo and free from traffic - just a quick zip to the hotel resort & casinos on the back roads
- free laundry! you can wash your clothes for free and they even provide the detergent!

• Liked — little perks, free internet, price
  • Disliked — not fancy
  • Tips/Secrets — use the website to get the rate, good if you want to avoid the rush of the "Strip"
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank suluu
cleveland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2006

I used my points for a one Friday night stay. Located about 0.50 miles from the Strip. Very clean. Full kitchen, stove, fridge. Fridge did not work when I got in. I had to reset the circuit breaker located inside the room. it beat waiting for maintenance. Some youths located outside were trying to slip in the side door to "sell some papers". They looked healthy enough but obviously pawns in some sort of scam. Hey it's Vegas, Baby. Otherwise the place was fine. You could hear some constant walking upstairs but the A/C mostly drowned it out. Starbucks and Bahama Breeze across the street.

• Stayed September 2006
3 Thank Leemus
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2006

We booked one night here with Priority points, saw the poor reviews of few months ago and booked two nights at the Holiday Inn Express, so we can offer a comparison.

The Candlwood cost only 11,000 points compared to 25,000 per night at the Express. Both were clean, comfortable and very convenient for the strip. The express was a little better here and there; the pool was nicer the rooms smelt very fresh and clean, but I certainly didn't feel it was worth the extra points.

The Candlewood was quieter (no aircraft noise) and although we didn't use it, having a well equipped kitchen would be great for a longer stay. I liked the Candlewood cupboard; you can get into the small store using your room key, help yourself to whatever (pretty basic) food you needed and pay or charge to your room via an honesty box. Really nice to have fresh milk in our very English cup of tea for a change.

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank katie48
South Bend, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2006

Stayed Feb 23-26, 2006 (Thursday thru Saturday nights) and had a great rewards stay at Candlewood Suites in Las Vegas. Was worrried after seeing their Trip Advisor rating drop over the last few months. But, for this last minute trip, I decided to give it a try especially since it was just me and everywhere on the strip was (as usual) priced really high for Friday and Saturday night while Candlewood Suites was available for a great rate of just 11,000 priority Club points per night.

For my stay in room 160 (first floor) ....

Staff at check-in and thruout my stay were all friendly and helpful.

Room and bathroom were very clean.

King bed was firm but that's the way mine is at home so I felt right at home with it.

Even Friday and Saturday nights there were no noise problems or other such issues but I may just have been lucky to be in a quiet wing with no one above me stomping around their room after 10 pm.

Made a long distance call back to Indiana (approx 3-4 minutes) and the charge was only 98 cents so they didn't gouge me for that like some places do.

Found the "store" there very useful to get a Coke (only 50 cents) and a snack so I didn't need to go out for that.

Having a room with no maid service during your stay is different especially for stays longer than mine but it was fine for me.

I made some coffee one morning (it was ok) but other than that I didn't make much use of the dishes, silverware, stove, refrigerator, microwave, or dishwasher but they were all there if you wanted to use them.

I don't mind walking (and I always do a ton of it in Vegas) but I had a car this trip because I knew this place was too far from the strip to walk. IMO, only Terribles is walking distance from here.

Because I hate driving in Vegas, I prefer staying on the strip (usually Sunday thru Thursday) but I would stay here again especially at the bargain rate of 11,000 Priority Club points per night. I wouldn't spend $125 a night as it sometimes is on the web site; up to $85 a night would be my limit for here.

• Stayed February 2006