“This is the place to stay if not a partier”

Gold Coast Hotel and Casino
Ranked #74 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I have stayed here many times. The last time was just as good as the first. Jane is a supervisor at the counter, and if there is a problem ask for her. She helped me out this last time. The girl at the desk, you could tell was new, wouldn't give me the king bed we ordered. Said that the room is guaranteed not the bed. Well Jane fixed it. Granted it was a smoking room (I don't smoke) but they use freshener and such, couldn't even tell. The newly redecorated rooms are GREAT!
Some things to know... Every day from about 10am -5pm (my times may be off) by the sports book they have a hot dog cart. Hot dogs are $1.50. not a bad lunch.
the pastries at the coffee shop go to half off about 8pm or so. Actually at different times but in the eves and the muffins are still moist. The ice cream place serves monster big scoops, I am 6'1" 225 and one scoop is really enough. had 2 scoops the first time and ate it all. About got sick. The Dim Sum restaurant is not cheap but not too expensive, and is great for lunch. but get there early or you will be waiting ina long line. Their breakfast buffet is a MUST. It is $5.99 with a players card and has an omelet bar and a whole bunch more. you will NOT need lunch on the days you eat there. Oh but there is a brunch instead of a breakfast on sunday, I think brunch is french for "add a bunch of money and cheap champagne". I'd recommend any day BUT sunday.
The only problem I see is that I am an early riser and no coffeee except for in room til 6am. Well you can get it at the slots but cocktail service early morning is non-existent til about 7am and the coffee place doesn't open til 6am. the buffet doesn't open til 7am.
Yes a lot of old folks in there but I like that, its not a party casino.Well I like this place. My 5 star rating is for the price and value. its not as good as Venetian or the other expensive places, but you get a whole lot for your money.

Room Tip: talk to Jane, if she can't help you, it can't be done.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank pspoker

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Great place to play. Staff is very nice and any problems you have with machines are taken care of right away. I had a couple paper cashout problems never waited more than a few minutes for a slot service -- GOOD JOB.
Great place to play and even though I didn't win on THIS TRIP you always feel you have an "opportunity to win". I travel often and play at many different casinos around the country and often run into casinos where you are NOT GOING TO WIN (ex. Tunica Miss) no matter what machines you play. Gold Coast always gives you play-back money and occasionaly a nice jackpot. The people are always nice and even though you don't win all the time, the trip is nice and I go home happy.

Room Tip: Make sure you get your players club card; comps are pretty good, discounts on food etc. and you don...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Kenownr
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Enjoyed our stay-off the Strip but within walking distance or short taxi ride.Rooms fantastic,Hotel bit dated in comparison to other hotels on the strip but very comfortable and friendly staff,Buffet was fantastic and great value,Hot dogs in Casino-AMAZING!!!!! Pool very small with a jaccuzzi but if not interested in pool facilities hotel is a great choice.
Easy waliking distance to Flamingo hotel and Playboy hotel?

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sttimmj1
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed here over a weekend last month with our three kids. For the price, this was one of the nicer places to stay in Vegas. The hotel carpets and room decor was a bit dated but clean.Our room was on the higher floors at the end of the hallway, so pretty quiet. The kids loved the pool which was less crowded than some of the other hotels we have stayed at in Vegas. We enjoyed walking to and from the strip everyday (the hotel has a shuttle but we didn't wait for it). We don't gamble, so I cannot say much about that, but I will rave about their Chinese restaurant...Ping Pang Pong!!! The food was to die for! Service was a little slow as they were extremely busy both days we were there. But when the food came...Oh lah lah! Even my kids agreed that it was one of the best Chinese meals we have enjoyed. If you are in the mood for a slightly more elevated ambiance, then Rio is next door. Overall, I would stay here again with the kids for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors and end of hallway if available
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank aqwn2be
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Our second stay at the Coast found room clean and comfortable. Enjoyed TGIFridays and ice cream bar.Staff friendly and accomadating. There could be more newer machines in slot inventory. We like table play except the dealers are not friendly and some are just rude. They certainly cater to locals and ignore out of town visitors. It takes away the fun of playing when the dealers spend so much time talking in foreign tongues. Perhaps next visit will be elswhere.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grimple
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Digital Marketing Managet at Gold Coast Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the Gold Coast. We appreciate your nice comments on your room, TGIFridays and Kate’s Korner Ice Cream. We take pride in the diversity of our casino games and are disappointed to hear that you felt our machines were outdated. We are continuously introducing new machines as they become available and one of slot floor attendants would have been happy to show you what was recently added. We will pass your comments on to casino management in regards to your disappointment with our dealers. We greatly appreciate all of our guests whether local or visiting us from out of town and are very sorry that you felt unappreciated, every guest should have the same wonderful experience. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I am an experienced traveller and have stayed in about 10 different hotels in Las Vegas. I chose the Gold Coast over more expensive hotels in the same area because the reviews were so good. This hotel had a higher rating overall than all hotels in the vicinity. BUT, I was really disappointed with our stay. I thought that the rooms had been newly renovated but weren't really. The finishing was very bad and the room smelled overwhelmingly like mold. I am thinking this is because there was only a shower in the room and it did not hold water... was leaking all over the bathroom floor. The hallways were old and smelly and the casino was the same. Since there is no longer a poker room, I didn't spend any money in the Casino because it wasn't a place that I wanted to be. The pool was VERY small and didn't look clean. I didn't want to swim in it. The pool attendant yelled at us one day for moving a deck chair... I felt humiliated and never went back to the pool.
There were a couple of PROS to this hotel:
-the bed was fairly comfortable (slept well at night)
-the room was quiet, except for the air conditioner
-the price is excellent
-restaraunts were decent (didn't try the buffet)
-it was a short walk to the Rio to play poker in the WSOP events
However, there is no free wireless internet available anywhere in the hotel. We didn't hang around it enough to pay the expensive daily rate so walked accross to the Palms to use the free wireless internet available in the food fare. This is discouraging. I have stayed at the 'sister' location called 'The Orleans' and the price is actually cheaper at the Orleans. They offer free wireless internet at the coffee shop, the pool is way better, the staff is friendlier and the rooms are better. It's a 'no brainer'. I won't be staying at the Gold Coast ever again!

Room Tip: Get the 'premium' room. They are only a couple more dollars a night and they are probably ne...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dana B
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the Gold Coast. We apologize that your stay with us didn't live up to your expectations. Your comments in regards to the pool staff will be forwarded to hotel management for review. We do appreciate the "pros" that you addressed in your review as well. Once again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I were given the room right next to the elevator. After being in the room 5 mins we called the front desk to ask for a room that didn't have the annoying elevator noise permeating our little room! They quickly accommodated our request and even put us on a higher floor with a view (hence, the higher rating I'm giving them). The pool area was AMAZING! There is a massive shark tank, fire pits, BIG comfy chairs, outdoor bar, and a free slide through the shark tank. We had a great time out there. We will be coming here again, especially with the great deal we got.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family